Need help knowing what to buy for 1st/3rd graders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help knowing what to buy for 1st/3rd graders

Hello. I am a long time lurker and fan of Memoria Press, and slowly moving towards incorporating more into our homeschool. I have incoming third graders and a first grader. I'm a mom of many and want to know the best way to use the curriculum manual and/or lesson plans.

What we've done: The incoming third graders completed TS 1 & 2, Patterns of Nature, literature, and English grammar practice. As a family we are currently working through MP Kindergarten enrichment, Bible, and music. I own the K curriculum manual, enrichment K manual, all recitation lesson plans, the music and Bible for K-2; I flip around the manuals and just move through one week at a time. I plan to continue the K-2 enrichments, then ultimately Christian Studies 1 and music appreciation as a group.

What I have planned for 1st grader: Copywork and TS 1 spelling from MP. The rest of the curriculum we've either already done or use another resource.

What I have planned for the 3rd graders: TS spelling (2 and 3), Prima Latina, Greek Myths, Poetry, AT F&F, state capitals, literature and penmanship all from MP. I guess it's easier to say what we're not using, which would be math, Latina Christiana, and grammar (which I assume is started alongside Christiana?), science, timeline and Christian Studies 1.

Hold my hand y'all, if I am overlooking something please jump in and point me in another direction.

As for what to buy.... I'm assuming individual lesson plans for Traditional Spelling 1 & 2, Prima Latina, and then... I don't know! Individual lesson plans for the third graders or the entire third grade curriculum manual? I am more nervous about the third graders than the first. I'm not doing a full core but want them to get the most out of what we're using. I'm also confused on which subjects are used for 3 & 4th (Poetry, Grammar, etc?) and if that affects which plans to buy. We would be doing 3M.

Thank you for the help!

Sunny, child of God, happy wife, mom of 5.
    OG homeschooler, 2nd year MP and incorporating more each year.
    2022/2023: 3rd graders, 1st grader, Junior K, toddler snack monster.

I bet the best deal would be the third-grade curriculum guide. It's usually better to have the guide on-hand because it's already printed out. Plus, if you can throw together enough of a package, they will usually sub out individual lesson plans (like giving you digital download plans for Prima Latina instead of Latina Christiana and TS 2 instead of 3 as part of the price) when you buy your TM & SWB through MP. I might prioritize copybook lesson plans over TS1 plans, as the latter is pretty simply 1 lesson per week, but the copybook is more complex in how they break up the poems. The 3rd grade curriculum guide will have the TS3, GM, poetry, ATF&F, literature and penmanship plans, so no need to buy extra plans there either.

Try an order like:
    Core 3M
    -sub Prima Latina for Latina Christiana
    -sub TS 2 for TS 3
    -remove math, CSI, Mammals, Timeline and EGR I
    Add TS1 student workbook, supplemental and practice pages (since it sounds like you already have the TM and did year one) and Copybook II: scripture and poems plus plans

See if emailing this to [email protected] gets you a package price.
    Mama of 2, teacher of 3
    Summer: First Start French I
    SY 22/23
    6A, teaching TFL & CC Chreia/Maxim in group, and Koine Greek
    MP2 w/ R&S Arithmetic 3

Completed MPK, MP1, MP2, 3A, 4A, 5A
    SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

enbateau, thank you for the tips, and the advice to give MP an email! I am so grateful for this forum.
      Sunny, child of God, happy wife, mom of 5.
      OG homeschooler, 2nd year MP and incorporating more each year.
      2022/2023: 3rd graders, 1st grader, Junior K, toddler snack monster.

Comment

Working...
      X