Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2nd ( Second ) Grade English Grammar Practice - Where's the beef?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by enbateau View Post

We came to MP at precisely that point (summer before 2nd), and we did a quick survey of parts of MP1 (oral save for math), then started MP2. It was fabulous! We haven't looked back. I have a student who started in 7th, and his progress has been night and day. There is no bad time to start a mastery-based Christian education.
    Did you purchase level one materials or how did you do that?

Comment

In our library system, Classic literature is rare, and few of the MP-recommended books were even in the system. So, long story short, I had to buy many of the books from MP1 (with help from generous family members). I did not buy lesson plans from MP during the summer survey. I bought the R&S math workbooks and TM and went at a pace in which my child could demonstrate mastery. Because my eldest was an accelerated reader, I let her read the STT and MSTT books at her own pace without the written guide. I found the entire set of MP1 Enrichment books on ebay, but I bought the Enrichment guide from MP. It wound up being a great investment as we went back through them when my youngest did first. That summer, we skipped the art cards and poetry but often enjoyed the author and illustrator bios. It was literally what made me fall in love with MP. It was so cohesive. It all fit together. I hadn't even purchased ALL the pieces for our approaching MP2 year, but as I kept pouring over the guide, eventually I came back for more and more pieces until I had the whole thing. In retrospect, none of that preview was "necessary" in order to do MP2 well, but none of it was a waste. We loved the beautiful children's literature, and it made my heart happy when my daughter would shout out, "Oh, Barbara Cooney! She did Ox-Cart Man and Miss Rumphius! I loved those books!" Having a curriculum that asks as a first question which other works an author or illustrator has done cultivates the mind of a bibliophile. Prior to that, it wasn't necessarily on our radar to connect the corpus of an artist and make comparisons. Even now, my rising 6th grader will abscond with an MP1 read aloud to her room and come out with that happy-sad face of remembering the sweet time on mom's lap soaking up a first trek through a great book.

FWIW, I have much less FOMO now, and I really look forward to our summers. Do what you have time for, but don't overwhelm.
      Mama of 2, teacher of 3

SY 21/22
      5A w/ SFL & CC Narrative class
      MP1

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A
      SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

In our library system, Classic literature is rare, and few of the MP-recommended books were even in the system. So, long story short, I had to buy many of the books from MP1 (with help from generous family members). I did not buy lesson plans from MP during the summer survey. I bought the R&S math workbooks and TM and went at a pace in which my child could demonstrate mastery. Because my eldest was an accelerated reader, I let her read the STT and MSTT books at her own pace without the written guide. I found the entire set of MP1 Enrichment books on ebay, but I bought the Enrichment guide from MP. It wound up being a great investment as we went back through them when my youngest did first. That summer, we skipped the art cards and poetry but often enjoyed the author and illustrator bios. It was literally what made me fall in love with MP. It was so cohesive. It all fit together. I hadn't even purchased ALL the pieces for our approaching MP2 year, but as I kept pouring over the guide, eventually I came back for more and more pieces until I had the whole thing. In retrospect, none of that preview was "necessary" in order to do MP2 well, but none of it was a waste. We loved the beautiful children's literature, and it made my heart happy when my daughter would shout out, "Oh, Barbara Cooney! She did Ox-Cart Man and Miss Rumphius! I loved those books!" Having a curriculum that asks as a first question which other works an author or illustrator has done cultivates the mind of a bibliophile. Prior to that, it wasn't necessarily on our radar to connect the corpus of an artist and make comparisons. Even now, my rising 6th grader will abscond with an MP1 read aloud to her room and come out with that happy-sad face of remembering the sweet time on mom's lap soaking up a first trek through a great book.

FWIW, I have much less FOMO now, and I really look forward to our summers. Do what you have time for, but don't overwhelm.
        Great insight!

I have wasted so much money on shipping this year because I thought we’d only do partial MP and bought some in Feb. Then in March I added another order. And this month I just basically completed each set I bought. (The only things I left off were math because I just can’t bring myself to quit what’s working for us as well as the phonics part of the add-on.)

Comment

Join the club of late-comers! My poor husband. He said we are richer now that I've found a happy landing spot and stuck to it! If you haven't already considered it, the Sodalitas and/or Teacher Training are great to attend online (and a bargain to boot for the equipping and edification). If you find at conference that there is anything else worthy of owning, it's a great time to add it because attendees (virtual or in-person) get free shipping. Whether I order in Feb or at the conference, it still gives me time to get my hands on the materials and pre-read some of the novels and books.
          Mama of 2, teacher of 3

SY 21/22
          MP1

Comment

Join the club of late-comers! My poor husband. He said we are richer now that I've found a happy landing spot and stuck to it! If you haven't already considered it, the Sodalitas and/or Teacher Training are great to attend online (and a bargain to boot for the equipping and edification). If you find at conference that there is anything else worthy of owning, it's a great time to add it because attendees (virtual or in-person) get free shipping. Whether I order in Feb or at the conference, it still gives me time to get my hands on the materials and pre-read some of the novels and books.
            Great to know! What things have you added on later, if anything? (I just found the manners wall charts and I’m like, “Oh, yes. Obviously we need this.”

Comment

Hahaha. Do we have time and space for that?

So much is new to the cores, and of course I quickly see the genius in their rationale and quickly become their Home fan. Usually it's when I've decided I didn't need something that I go back and get what I thought I would sub out. Please do not ask me about the seven different math curricula I largely still own!

I don't remember which grades you're doing next year, but come third, definitely check out the American History supplemental readers. These ignited a passion in my eldest for historical fiction and biographies. We quickly purchased every single read-aloud novel, picture book and history reader up through sixth. These are treasured favorites, and they have created a family reading culture where we have special in-jokes and turns of phrase no one can hear without everyone finishing the quote in chorus. It's marvelous.

Two fun side notes if you have any littles coming up the ranks.
              1) Jr. K read-alouds make great beginning readers, so buy them, and when your child finishes MPK, go back and try to read the Jr. K selections.
              2) The Story Bible makes for great reading practice starting in MP1. My MP1-er read through the entire Bible, all 440-ish pages, in one year. His reading skills exponentially took off, and now in addition to having studied them in MPK/1, he has an incredible grasp of the major themes of scripture because he read them himself!! The Sunday School teachers have complimented his knowledge of scriptures, and the intangible benefit he is getting from that is just....to go from having a hard time talking to talking about the greatness of our God is just...unbelievably wonderful.
              Mama of 2, teacher of 3

SY 21/22
              MP1

Comment

Hahaha. Do we have time and space for that?

So much is new to the cores, and of course I quickly see the genius in their rationale and quickly become their Home fan. Usually it's when I've decided I didn't need something that I go back and get what I thought I would sub out. Please do not ask me about the seven different math curricula I largely still own!

I don't remember which grades you're doing next year, but come third, definitely check out the American History supplemental readers. These ignited a passion in my eldest for historical fiction and biographies. We quickly purchased every single read-aloud novel, picture book and history reader up through sixth. These are treasured favorites, and they have created a family reading culture where we have special in-jokes and turns of phrase no one can hear without everyone finishing the quote in chorus. It's marvelous.

Two fun side notes if you have any littles coming up the ranks.
                1) Jr. K read-alouds make great beginning readers, so buy them, and when your child finishes MPK, go back and try to read the Jr. K selections.
                2) The Story Bible makes for great reading practice starting in MP1. My MP1-er read through the entire Bible, all 440-ish pages, in one year. His reading skills exponentially took off, and now in addition to having studied them in MPK/1, he has an incredible grasp of the major themes of scripture because he read them himself!! The Sunday School teachers have complimented his knowledge of scriptures, and the intangible benefit he is getting from that is just....to go from having a hard time talking to talking about the greatness of our God is just...unbelievably wonderful.
                Do you mean the Jr K lit read alouds? I’m mixing up read alouds vs enrichment, I think. (I’ll have jr k and second.)

I want alllll the books, but not sure if I can talk my husband into it! $$$

Comment

Yep. Jr. K read alouds. Enrichment doesn't start as a separate guide until MPK. Once you get your hands on the materials it will all make sense.. Own what makes sense, and get the rest where you can. Some people are so blessed to have great libraries they need to drive past daily, but even so, with gas creeping up, factor into library loans the two round trips to pick it up and return it. For us, owning a book under $4 that was delivered to my mailbox (hello, thriftbooks) saved money, reduced stress, and streamlined prep for my week to have all supplies ready at the head of the year.

For those of us who can, we buy from MP the core materials, and the package price is usually the best anyway. We get the picture books and novels (read alouds) used or new from wherever has the best price. There are a bunch of places where the titles are bundled at a package discount, and there's a point at which purchasing all of them together is the same price as buying the ones you can't get from the library at a discount. So, to quote the Brits, do the maths!
                  Mama of 2, teacher of 3

SY 21/22
                  MP1

Comment

Such great information! Well, we used a lot of MP for my 3rd and 4th graders. It didn't go too well. It really overwhelmed me, and I got down on the curriculum, I admit. But the more I reflect, I think it is our family life. I am very drawn to what the Charlotte Mason method has to say about raising children in that regard. I am not sure a full CM education is something I can implement, but good habits is essential. And thank you for reminding me about those Manners resources. Probably a very worthwhile investment in this house. I'm still trying to make my decisions for next year.

Comment

FYI, I laminated the manners charts back to back and had all of it spiral bound into a book. M likes to just flip through and “read” them. I posted the 2 small ones with all the manners on our wall.
                      The Older Boys:
                      J- 6/96: (CAPD/mild ASD) working/living on his own
                      S- 11/98: Jan. 2022- BYU-I accounting major

The Middle Boys:
                      G- 4/04 (mild ASD/mild intellectual delay)
                      D- 5/05 (mild processing issues)

The Princess:
                      F- 7/08

The Youngest Boy:
                      M- 9/16

Comment

Working...
                      X