Calligraphy Book & Marker Rec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calligraphy Book & Marker Rec

We've watched some cute videos on note-taking recently, and my eldest wanted to learn a couple of cute fonts. I don't want fancy nibs and tips with inkwells, just good quality brush-tip markers that can colorfully create some letter styles. A set would be great, but I can piece it if it's worth it. A book that will lay flat is a plus.
    Mama of 2, teacher of 3
    Summer: First Start French I
    SY 22/23
    6A, teaching TFL & CC Chreia/Maxim in group, and Koine Greek
    MP2 w/ R&S Arithmetic 3

Completed MPK, MP1, MP2, 3A, 4A, 5A
    SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Tombow markers are excellent for brush pen calligraphy, but expensive. I know many people also like the Faber-Castell brush pens. Just remind her that brush tips are held to the side, otherwise they will fray and become unusable.

Keep in mind that brush calligraphy is much more temperamental than dip pen. I would actually recommend having her start with dip pen and watercolor "ink" applied with a paintbrush -- less mess than inkwells, MUCH less expensive than brush pens, and MUCH less frustration when learning how/when to add pressure to the pen.

For instruction, I LOVE the resources from Lindsey Bugbee at The Postman's Knock

HTH!
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS18: Graduated and living his dream in the automotive trades
    DS17: MP, MPOA, headed to his favorite liberal arts college this fall
    DS15: MP, MPOA
    DS13: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
    DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
    DD10: SC3
    DD7: MPK

Comment

I forgot to add: if she's set on starting with brush pen, you can actually use regular broad tip markers. Lindsey has a tutorial post for this on her blog.
      Jennifer
      Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS18: Graduated and living his dream in the automotive trades
      DS17: MP, MPOA, headed to his favorite liberal arts college this fall
      DS15: MP, MPOA
      DS13: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
      DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
      DD10: SC3
      DD7: MPK

Comment

Wow! I think I'm in love! That site looks amazing. Oh the fun to plan!

I have $$$ watercolor brushes, and we do some awesome watercolor painting. It's good to know that experience will help. My artsy girl has a nack for this stuff, so hopefully it's explained in a way she can understand.
        Mama of 2, teacher of 3
        SY 22/23
        MP2 w/ R&S Arithmetic 3

Comment

I have done calligraphy for fun and a few commissioned pieces over the years. I use and love the rOtring ArtPen. It has different sizes of metal nibs and takes ink cartridges. I also own a conversion kit so you can fill it yourself from bottled ink, but I only work in black ink, so the cartridges are fine for me. I taught myself using Italic Letters: Calligraphy and Handwriting by Getty and Dubay and also Learn Calligraphy by Margaret Shepherd.
          Amy

Fall 2022:
          DS 14 9th
          DD 12 7th
          DS 10 5th
          DD 7 2nd
          DS 5 K
          DS 2

Comment

Thanks, jen1134 . I have Lindsey's starter kit on the way as a love token to my eldest for all of her hard work this year. I like the idea of starting dip pen before brush pen since we can use our current water colors as "ink" with the dip pen. I saw one of her videos using Crayola markers, so maybe if we add that, we can use what we already have. Having your and hubby's artistic nod pushed us over the edge.

Thanks, Amy. Checking out the recs when I hit up my local art store.

PS, knack^^.
            Mama of 2, teacher of 3
            SY 22/23
            MP2 w/ R&S Arithmetic 3

Comment

Working...
            X