Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R&S phonics for K and FSR?

Hello!

My son will be turning 5 in the summer and we will be starting MP Kinder in September (we purchased the package in Feb)
    I wanted to get ahead and start teaching him phonics over the summer and thought of maybe purchasing the R&S phonics as an introduction to reading. Has anyone done something similar to this and teach reading first before starting a more official curriculum? Bad or good idea?
    And does anyone know how it compares to FSR?

Thank you in advance for any advice and tips!

Jr. K schedules some of R&S's workbooks that teach pre-reading skills, colors, left-to-right, top-to-bottom eye movement, so that's where I would start (Adventures with Books, Counting with Numbers). You do not need to do a separate pre-phonics program.

MPK prep that is free:
    Even just getting out your MP Phonics Flashcardsand saying the alphabet daily would be great practice for learning the first sounds (A says a-a-apple, B says b-b-ball, C says c-c-cat). You could do the mystery bag from now until K where you find objects that start with the letter of the week and give clues until the child guesses. You could go on a scavenger hunt around the house and find items that begin with that letter sound. You can make playdoh letters and say their first sounds.

Some kids show eagerness to read early, and that's great, but don't feel like you have to do anything to prepare for FSR. Keep reading great children's picture books and novels to your young one. The studies on being read to are much stronger indicators of future success than how early phonics is started, although both are important. Reading aloud 20 min/day from preK to 3rd typically sits students in the top 10% at graduation.
    Mama of 2, teacher of 3
    Summer: First Start French I
    SY 22/23
    6A, teaching TFL & CC Chreia/Maxim in group, and Koine Greek
    MP2 w/ R&S Arithmetic 3

Completed MPK, MP1, MP2, 3A, 4A, 5A
    SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

Hi! With all our kids so far, I have used the Rod & Staff pre-k books (Adventures with Books, etc.) for informal preparation for kindergarten. All of them did books A-D I think, and some moved fast and completed E and F as well. These books are a great way to ease into sitting, following directions, tracing, forming numbers and letters, cutting, pasting, matching, patterns, counting, listening for beginning and ending sounds, coloring, and more. Practice with recognizing letter names and sounds is great prep for kindergarten and can be achieved with flashcards or alphabet chart. We've also been playing with a pack of alphabet Go Fish cards, and I think my 4 year old has learned most of his letters this way. I don't know how R&S phonics compare to FAR. I do know that what I've described above was plenty of prep for MP kindergarten, in our experience.

enbateau how fascinating to hear that statistic about reading aloud to kids as a predictor of academic success. We do this much reading aloud (and more) for enjoyment, but it makes me feel good about the potential future benefits.
      Amy

Fall 2022:
      DS 14 9th
      DD 12 7th
      DS 10 5th
      DD 7 2nd
      DS 5 K
      DS 2

Comment

Leap Frog Letter Factory dvd- buy it and sing along to those letter sounds.
        The Older Boys:
        J- 6/96: (CAPD/mild ASD) working/living on his own
        S- 11/98: Jan. 2022- BYU-I accounting major

The Middle Boys:
        G- 4/04 (mild ASD/mild intellectual delay)
        D- 5/05 (mild processing issues)

The Princess:
        F- 7/08

The Youngest Boy:
        M- 9/16

Comment

Thank you so much ladies! I forgot to mention that we have already completed the R&S PreK workbooks so we were looking for additional work but perhaps we should review them again 😌

Comment

If you haven't done the MP Alphabet books, they are a super great stepping-stone to FSR.
            The Older Boys:
            J- 6/96: (CAPD/mild ASD) working/living on his own
            S- 11/98: Jan. 2022- BYU-I accounting major

The Middle Boys:
            G- 4/04 (mild ASD/mild intellectual delay)
            D- 5/05 (mild processing issues)

The Princess:
            F- 7/08

The Youngest Boy:
            M- 9/16

Comment

You could always start memorizing the h-teams (ch, sh, th, wh) and some of the digraphs so that common words are more phonetic (ng, ph, etc). Start pointing out the uppercase I or word the in every book you read. Keep it fun.
              Mama of 2, teacher of 3
              Summer: First Start French I
              SY 22/23
              6A, teaching TFL & CC Chreia/Maxim in group, and Koine Greek
              MP2 w/ R&S Arithmetic 3

Completed MPK, MP1, MP2, 3A, 4A, 5A
              SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

Working...
              X