Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A bit off topic, but looking for wisdom on hybrid scenario.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bit off topic, but looking for wisdom on hybrid scenario.

My first choice is MP curriculum. We were hoping a cottage school would open in our area, but it doesn’t sound like it will happen this fall. We have another hybrid option, but they do not use MP products. How do you discern or weigh the choice of curriculum (I feel so pulled to MP) vs the need for consistent community for your kids? I’ve considered this from a standpoint of joining extra curriculars, but my husband really wants our kids to have a chance to do more academic activities in a school-like atmosphere- at least part of the time. I feel incredibly torn. Thanks for any insight.

I'm a huge MP fan, but I would put agreement/happy compromise between parents above curriculum choices in importance. I know some families use a few important MP pieces at home, alongside whatever the school is doing.
    Amy

Fall 2022:
    DS 14 9th
    DD 12 7th
    DS 10 5th
    DD 7 2nd
    DS 5 K
    DS 2

Comment

PM'ed you. If your husband is open to your feedback and is just waiting for you to provide some convincing evidence, let us know. There's a variety of resources available (print, online article, and videos in lecture or discussion format) to help you make a case. But, if it's not open to discussion, homeschooling with an uncooperative spouse isn't a hill to die on. For those of us who were called to homeschooling, we had to trust that the Lord would provide all of the intellectual convincing necessary to make it happen. If you haven't already started, pray without ceasing for God's will for your children this coming year. MP is an incredible education at home or in a classroom, but had we not made the spiritual commitment to being our children's primary facilitator of wisdom and knowledge, we would hardly have survived the slings and arrows (shot from within our own household, let alone the ones from without).
      Mama of 2, teacher of 3
      Summer: First Start French I
      SY 22/23
      6A, teaching TFL & CC Chreia/Maxim in group, and Koine Greek
      MP2 w/ R&S Arithmetic 3

Completed MPK, MP1, MP2, 3A, 4A, 5A
      SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

Originally posted by Teach05 View Post
        My first choice is MP curriculum. We were hoping a cottage school would open in our area, but it doesn’t sound like it will happen this fall. We have another hybrid option, but they do not use MP products. How do you discern or weigh the choice of curriculum (I feel so pulled to MP) vs the need for consistent community for your kids? I’ve considered this from a standpoint of joining extra curriculars, but my husband really wants our kids to have a chance to do more academic activities in a school-like atmosphere- at least part of the time. I feel incredibly torn. Thanks for any insight.
        You may have shared this on another thread, but I can't remember. What are the current grades of your school-aged children?

In my experience, the significance of academic activities in a school-like atmosphere, even on a very limited basis, grows greatly in importance when students are much older. I know many families who do not use any outside support (tutorial, co-op, online, etc) until roughly middle school, six or seventh grade.

That is not to say that many do not value it right from the very beginning, because they do. (When we were opening our cottage school we fully planned to begin offering courses at third grade, following the model of the HLS Spring Meadows model cottage school. We were surprised to be met with a group of parents whose children were in kindergarten through second grade who absolutely wanted that weekly help and lined up to enroll. Truly, it is because of their demand that we even offered it. And we are so glad we did!)
        Festina lentē,
        Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
        DS Hillsdale College freshman
        DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
        DD 8th • HLN & Home
        DS 5th • HLN & Home
        Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
        Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Here are a few other questions that follow-up on the age question:

How many classes does the local tutorial require you to take to enroll? Can you take one or two classes that fit well with what you are already doing at home, but still allow you to prioritize Latin and classical studies? (In my opinion, if you can keep going with Latin and classics then you can make a lot of concessions otherwise and still keep on a classical trajectory.)

How much of your day away from home would it take to participate?

Does the local tutorial offer all their classes on Monday, or would it be tying up more than one day?

Do they require so many classes that you would effectively have to put away your MP materials in order to join?

Would it be possible for them to take one enriching academic class there, and then fill in around the edges with interesting classes but that are not academic and content?

How far away is this tutorial, and would it be a pleasant commitment in terms of commuting there?

What do they require of parents? Must you teach other classes or provide child care for younger siblings? Are you required to be a room monitor at any point, or participate in outside activities like fundraising, plays, etc.?

There's no need to answer all of these for me or for us, but I wanted to throw them out there. I hope they help.
          Festina lentē,
          Jessica P

DD 8th • HLN & Home
          DS 5th • HLN & Home

Comment

The local option that is not MP is a mix of what the owners have pulled together themselves. The only MP product is MP for Latin, but then they’re using a full-blown English grammar program with it which, to my understanding, is not how MP as a grammar program was meant to be used. There are several things in the curriculum like that with the other pieces chosen. The synergy that you find within the MP subjects is just missing for me with what’s on this lineup.

My kids are under third grade, so they have to do the full schedule rather than ala carte at the non MP school. :/ The MP school in our area is out of price range and having a cottage option is the only way we could afford it at this point.

I thought of joining Classical Conversations just to have that formal “thing”, but it feels like so much money for what it is. :/

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
              Here are a few other questions that follow-up on the age question:

How many classes does the local tutorial require you to take to enroll? Can you take one or two classes that fit well with what you are already doing at home, but still allow you to prioritize Latin and classical studies? (In my opinion, if you can keep going with Latin and classics then you can make a lot of concessions otherwise and still keep on a classical trajectory.)

How much of your day away from home would it take to participate?

Does the local tutorial offer all their classes on Monday, or would it be tying up more than one day?

Do they require so many classes that you would effectively have to put away your MP materials in order to join?

Would it be possible for them to take one enriching academic class there, and then fill in around the edges with interesting classes but that are not academic and content?

How far away is this tutorial, and would it be a pleasant commitment in terms of commuting there?

What do they require of parents? Must you teach other classes or provide child care for younger siblings? Are you required to be a room monitor at any point, or participate in outside activities like fundraising, plays, etc.?

There's no need to answer all of these for me or for us, but I wanted to throw them out there. I hope they help.
              Good questions.

1. 2 full days- no ala carte
              2. The work load looks HEAVY to me though they said it isn’t for most families. If I’m right it would make it unlikely to be able to supplement well. It’s only 2 days, but they run it as a school providing work to be done the other days at home.
              3. Maybe that’s it. How do I find something that feels like “school” for DH’s perspective of what he feels is important? Hmm.
              4. Very close location-wise.
              5. Minimal parent involvement other than actual teaching of assignments they send home for the other days.

Comment

I understand feeling torn about the balance of quality education and the chance to be in a community. My older two have been in Classical Conversations for many years, and though we have been fortunate to have wonderful families to partner with we will not be continuing for many reasons. The community aspect and classroom experience is what I will miss the most I have just become familiar with MP over the past two years and am excited to move forward! For my rising K I have one other family so far that we are planning to partner with for enrichment "class time." Is it possible to find other families to set up your own informal co-op until a cottage school is a possibility?
                11 year homeschool mom, new to MP!
                DS 16, MPOA in the Fall for one class
                DS 13, New to MP in the Fall, a mix of 8th/9th grades
                DS 5 MP Jr K

Comment

Originally posted by Momtoboys View Post
                  I understand feeling torn about the balance of quality education and the chance to be in a community. My older two have been in Classical Conversations for many years, and though we have been fortunate to have wonderful families to partner with we will not be continuing for many reasons. The community aspect and classroom experience is what I will miss the most I have just become familiar with MP over the past two years and am excited to move forward! For my rising K I have one other family so far that we are planning to partner with for enrichment "class time." Is it possible to find other families to set up your own informal co-op until a cottage school is a possibility?
                  I am truly considering emailing the school that uses MP and asking them to please give families who indicated interest the option to get in contact with one another for that exact reason. Hopefully they’ll be willing to if they aren’t able to run a cottage option.

Comment

Originally posted by Teach05 View Post
                    The local option that is not MP is a mix of what the owners have pulled together themselves. The only MP product is MP for Latin, but then they’re using a full-blown English grammar program with it which, to my understanding, is not how MP as a grammar program was meant to be used. There are several things in the curriculum like that with the other pieces chosen. The synergy that you find within the MP subjects is just missing for me with what’s on this lineup.

My kids are under third grade, so they have to do the full schedule rather than ala carte at the non MP school. :/ The MP school in our area is out of price range and having a cottage option is the only way we could afford it at this point.

I thought of joining Classical Conversations just to have that formal “thing”, but it feels like so much money for what it is. :/
                    We used to be at a hybrid style school that was classical, but not significantly MP. It was a wonderful blessing to us, because they taught 2 days/wk and I did not have to design curriculum, do craft projects in my house, handle significant grading, etc; all I did was teaching my children at home three days/week. We moved away and have found a wonderful routine in our own home now, but it was truly good while we were there.

That said, did this school or another offer a la carte after 3rd grade? You might consider discussing a plan with your husband to wait to enroll until you can send your kids a la carte for specific classes that you feel would particularly enrich their schedule. You could also agree to send them now for the school’s curriculum, with a plan to reassess heading into third or fourth grade. At either 3rd or 4th, you could jump back to MP without losing ground since so much of the grammar school program begins with 3rd (or 4th new user).

Being on the same page as your husband, at least respecting one another’s point of view is so important. My husband and I don’t always think the exact same on our kids’ education (who would - we are unique people!), but working together to find the balance we can both live with is good. And he often brings thoughts and concerns to the table that I don’t notice the same way because I’m so deep in the day to day of it all.
                    Carrie
                    Mom of 5 in Tennessee

2021-2022
                    3rd or 5th year homeschooling - slowly transitioning to more MP
                    5th grade girl
                    3rd grade boy
                    K girl
                    Littles running wild

Comment

Originally posted by CarrieAnne View Post

We used to be at a hybrid style school that was classical, but not significantly MP. It was a wonderful blessing to us, because they taught 2 days/wk and I did not have to design curriculum, do craft projects in my house, handle significant grading, etc; all I did was teaching my children at home three days/week. We moved away and have found a wonderful routine in our own home now, but it was truly good while we were there.

That said, did this school or another offer a la carte after 3rd grade? You might consider discussing a plan with your husband to wait to enroll until you can send your kids a la carte for specific classes that you feel would particularly enrich their schedule. You could also agree to send them now for the school’s curriculum, with a plan to reassess heading into third or fourth grade. At either 3rd or 4th, you could jump back to MP without losing ground since so much of the grammar school program begins with 3rd (or 4th new user).

Being on the same page as your husband, at least respecting one another’s point of view is so important. My husband and I don’t always think the exact same on our kids’ education (who would - we are unique people!), but working together to find the balance we can both live with is good. And he often brings thoughts and concerns to the table that I don’t notice the same way because I’m so deep in the day to day of it all.
                      That’s a really great point as seeing either scenario as a temporary until we get to ala carte options.

Comment

CarrieAnne That's a really good point. We didn't even find/start MP until my oldest was entering 3rd grade.
                        Festina lentē,
                        Jessica P

DD 8th • HLN & Home
                        DS 5th • HLN & Home

Comment

Based on your description and questions you've answered, I think I may have my 5th grader in the hybrid school you are describing. If you'd like to PM me, I can answer questions if it does turn out to be the same school. It started as an MP cottage school a few years ago, but now uses more VP and CAP and only MP Latin through Second Form. My daughter will probably go part-time next year just to take Latin and 1 or two other classes (they are allowing that from 5th up, although its not their ideal). There is a full day MP school near us that I know is considering starting a cottage school. If the cottage school starts, I'd move her there. This is her first year at the hybrid, and yes, it is a heavy workload. Teaching the lessons at home with a different teacher at the hybrid has been tricky (esp. for math and writing). I've also toyed with putting my daughter in the full day MP school, but have homeschooled 13 years with a mix of classical and traditional (with 1 grad) and its hard to make such a big change, both to our family life and financially. I also had my graduated daughter in Classical Conversations Foundations a couple years and she did 2 years of CC Challenge, but academically (for me) Foundations doesn't compare at all to MP. It felt like an add on day that left me still needing to do academics at home on the other 4 days.

I would say however, that my daughter does really enjoy the opportunity to be with other students and have outside teachers. They have done some really fun activities and projects that I wouldn't probably have done at home. She has discovered a true love for Latin that I'm not sure she'd have developed if we'd just done it at home. The accountability has kept her on track too. What she doesn't like is getting up at 6:30 two days a week, the very long work days when she's home, or the 30 minute drive.
                          Last edited by elisacm92; 04-28-2022, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by elisacm92 View Post
                            Based on your description and questions you've answered, I think I may have my 5th grader in the hybrid school you are describing. If you'd like to PM me, I can answer questions if it does turn out to be the same school. It started as an MP cottage school a few years ago, but now uses more VP and CAP and only MP Latin through Second Form. My daughter will probably go part-time next year just to take Latin and 1 or two other classes (they are allowing that from 5th up, although its not their ideal). There is a full day MP school near us that I know is considering starting a cottage school. If the cottage school starts, I'd move her there. This is her first year at the hybrid, and yes, it is a heavy workload. Teaching the lessons at home with a different teacher at the hybrid has been tricky (esp. for math and writing). I've also toyed with putting my daughter in the full day MP school, but have homeschooled 13 years with a mix of classical and traditional (with 1 grad) and its hard to make such a big change, both to our family life and financially. I also had my graduated daughter in Classical Conversations Foundations a couple years and she did 2 years of CC Challenge, but academically (for me) Foundations doesn't compare at all to MP. It felt like an add on day that left me still needing to do academics at home on the other 4 days.

I would say however, that my daughter does really enjoy the opportunity to be with other students and have outside teachers. They have done some really fun activities and projects that I wouldn't probably have done at home. She has discovered a true love for Latin that I'm not sure she'd have developed if we'd just done it at home. The accountability has kept her on track too. What she doesn't like is getting up at 6:30 two days a week, the very long work days when she's home, or the 30 minute drive.
                            Yes!I tried to PM you but your settings don’t accept private messages incoming. Please message me so we can chat!

Comment

Sorry! I think I fixed it!

Comment

Working...
                              X