Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finishing 1st grade math early…what to do until summer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finishing 1st grade math early…what to do until summer?

I just realized my first grader only has two weeks left in math for this year (we use R&S, so we’re about to finish the first 2nd grade workbook). She understands all the concepts and is solid in her math facts and skip counting. I don’t want to stop math so early in the year, but I’m not sure what I should have her do until summer break.

The three options I can think of are:
    1. Start the second 2nd grade workbook (but then we’ll be finishing early again next year)
    2. Get the MP first grade review book and work through that
    3. Use some of the blacklines and/or MP math drills (I worry about her getting bored with that)

Any suggestions?
    2021-2022
    DS1 (7) - MP2
    DD (6) - MP1
    DS2 (3) - SCA
    +6 little souls in Heaven+

If you are not wanting to keep going to the next level then you might want to consider some other programs. Beast Academy is currently in the process of releasing first grade content. It can be fun for certain kids to explore some different math topics. I know for second grade they have a math puzzles book, but I don’t know what they have for first grade. Khan Academy isn’t my favorite, but is OK. We used that for some summer days before we found Beast Academy. You might consider Right Start’s math games book. My kids like them and they don’t feel like pages of math facts. Hopefully some Rod and Staff users will have some other suggestions. We do math all year so we just move more slowly in the summer and keep going to the next book when we get there.
    Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
    15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
    DD College Freshman
    DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
    DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
    DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
      If you are not wanting to keep going to the next level then you might want to consider some other programs. Beast Academy is currently in the process of releasing first grade content. It can be fun for certain kids to explore some different math topics. I know for second grade they have a math puzzles book, but I don’t know what they have for first grade. Khan Academy isn’t my favorite, but is OK. We used that for some summer days before we found Beast Academy. You might consider Right Start’s math games book. My kids like them and they don’t feel like pages of math facts. Hopefully some Rod and Staff users will have some other suggestions. We do math all year so we just move more slowly in the summer and keep going to the next book when we get there.

How does doing math all year look for you? My husband and I are still deciding what we want summers to look like (my oldest is only in 2nd grade). We definitely don’t want a full 10 weeks off, particularly with math, but we do want summer to be a much lighter load with mostly play. We were considering just doing a drill page every day to keep the facts fresh, but we also like the idea of just moving to the next book and doing short, partial lessons over the summer. My only concern with just moving ahead was them eventually hitting something they just weren’t mature enough to do yet. Have you had issues with that?
      2021-2022
      DS1 (7) - MP2
      DD (6) - MP1
      DS2 (3) - SCA
      +6 little souls in Heaven+

Comment

MP2 math has so much review that you might as well just start. My son was eager to start the 11's facts, but he's mathy and a little older for grade. We skipped the new review book that's scheduled since we had to break in which to lose material. We're in the 12's facts now, and he's doing every single page as written with 100% accuracy, including the MMC green book. I tend to do the TM exercises twice a week on a glass tabletop with dry erase.

Math and Latin are the only subjects we "continue" over the summer. Some days that's a hot second of flashcards. Many days the youngest asks for a math sheet or two. It can be hard for students to learn different formats, so be careful. Even when we scored a competing math workbook from Goodwill to add over the summer, my kiddo asked for his "normal" R&S workbook pages back. He doesn't want to color!
        Mama of 2, teacher of 3
        Summer: First Start French I
        SY 22/23
        6A, teaching TFL & CC Chreia/Maxim in group, and Koine Greek
        MP2 w/ R&S Arithmetic 3

Completed MPK, MP1, MP2, 3A, 4A, 5A
        SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

We ran into the same dilemma back when we started homeschooling - we started in May (once we made the decision to homeschool, why wait?), and then he finished his first math grade in February. We just carry on to the next grade, though we cut back on what is required until the rest of the subjects are into the next 'year.' It has worked well to keep the math fresh, and still moves us forward. He doesn't love math, but enjoys having to do "only" one page when he's ahead!

Comment

I use Saxon for my kinder and second grader, which is similar to R&S in that it is very procedural, and sometimes repetitive. What has worked for us is to sprinkle in some more conceptual type stuff along the way. I started doing that this week due to all of us needing a break from the grind. Next year I am going to do it more often rather than trying to stay on schedule with Saxon so faithfully. I do find for us it's better to do a little math year round just to keep things fresh and avoid a lot of review.

I really like Mathematical Reasoning--workbooks you can buy from Critical Thinking Co or Amazon. They have simple illustrated worksheets that present information in a different way or allow for review of topics that might need reinforcement. They also include some puzzle type activities. My kids like the change of pace. I want to love Beast Academy but my kids just don't. But I have heard a lot of ppl find it a great supplement!

Comment

Replace "we had to break" with "we had NO break." Didn't see that typo. Sorry.
              Mama of 2, teacher of 3
              Summer: First Start French I
              SY 22/23
              6A, teaching TFL & CC Chreia/Maxim in group, and Koine Greek
              MP2 w/ R&S Arithmetic 3

Completed MPK, MP1, MP2, 3A, 4A, 5A
              SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

Working...
              X