Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heather in GA
    • May 2019

Classical Studies Catch-up?

I had a little homeschool FOMO this year, and I ended up having my sixth-grader do MODG history (Ancient Egypt) rather than Famous Men of the Middle Ages. I would like to get back on track with MP Classical Studies next year, but I could use some advice. Should we do FMMA over the summer, perhaps just as a read-and-discuss? Or maybe do both FMMA and FMG at a one-per-semester pace next year? A third option would be to just skip it. I already own the FMMA materials. Thanks in advance for your help!

Heather
    11th year homeschooling, 5th year with MP
    Girl 8M
    Girl 5M
    Girl MP2
    Girl Jr. K
    ​​​​​​

Levels we have completed: Preschool, Jr. K, K, 1, 2, 3, 4NU, 5, 6, 7
  • tanya
    MP Representative
    • Feb 2009

Heather,

Any of these plans actually works, so I would do whatever you want! Your student might enjoy FMMA as a summer read. It may be a lot to try to do FMMA and FMG in one year because you would have to do two lessons a week, and there's a lot more going on than classical studies in 7th grade! But it is certainly doable and what they do at MPOA. (This is not my favorite option in case you can't tell.) And for your third option, you could just skip it since you will be studying a year of Medieval history in our high school curriculum if you choose to stick to that. So your student will get a good course in medieval history. The advantage to reading through FMMA in the summer is that it is a good background into the characters and events that students will see again in high school.

Tanya

Comment

• enbateau
      • Jun 2018

I vote read aloud over the summer. FMMA has been great, but what I liked best was the timeline dates we've memorized that give us some hooks upon which to hang the historical details.
      Mama of 2, teacher of 3 (Fourth Form Latin & Ref/Con)
      SY 23/24
      7A w/ First Form Greek
      4NU

Completed MPK, MP1*, MP2*, 3A, 4A, 5A, 6A
      SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math)

Comment

• smithamykat
        • Oct 2018

Originally posted by enbateau
        I vote read aloud over the summer. FMMA has been great, but what I liked best was the timeline dates we've memorized that give us some hooks upon which to hang the historical details.
        Agree! For my oldest son and again currently with my 6th grade daughter, we made index cards for each important date from FMMA and added them to a line on the wall as the reading progressed. The dates in this time period are really helpful to have firmly in mind for later studies.

Also, my son found Famous Men of Greece the most challenging book of the Famous Men series. I would not have wanted to charge through that at double time.

Also-also, don't feel bad for taking a detour for Egyptian history. It's fascinating! My daughter had extra time in her schedule in 4th grade, and we spent time studying Ancient Egypt and followed it up with a trip through the Egypt section of the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It was a huge highlight for all of us!
        Amy

Fall 2023:
        DS 15 10th: MP literature, MP European History, MP History of the Early Church, Novare Intro Physics, Abeka Grammar&Comp, CLRC Spanish I, CLRC Geometry, CLRC Drawing I, public school soccer & tennis
        DD 13 8th: MP full core, sub Saxon Algebra I, plus CLRC Spanish
        DS 11 6th: MP full core, sub Saxon Math 7/6
        DD 8 3rd: MP full core, sub Traditional Spelling II
        DS 6 1st: MP full core, sub Kindergarten enrichment
        DS 3 play, color, read-aloud books
        Baby coming in September!

Comment

Working...