Famous men Greece

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Famous men Greece

Is your version of Famous Men of Greece special Or can I use any edition?

You can use any edition. Ours is illustrated in full color, but Greenleaf used to have a version that was black & white. I'm not sure if they are still printing it or not. The content should be basically the same. We have done very little editing to it.

Tanya

Comment

Do the plans for famous men of Greece include an option yo do all the chapters?

Comment

The FMG plans do include every lesson, but the first 10 lessons are a review in Greek mythology, so our students just read those lessons while their class time is taken up with the completion of the Horatius at the Bridge study guide. Then, in lesson 11, we transition to filling in the study guide. If you aren't doing the Horatius study, you will want to fill in the study guide for lessons 1-10, and just do one lesson a week until you get to week 11 and lesson 11. Then, the plans will instruct you to fill in the study guide.

But I do highly recommend that you study Horatius and consider your student memorizing the poem. I would love to get a video one day of your student's recitation so that I can award him/her with the Winston Churchill certificate and Horatius pin and medal.

Tanya

Comment

I have 2 students I am thinking of. 1 is a normal 4th grader next year, perhs even better at writing than some. The other is a perhaps dyslexic 6th grader next year. They do not always work well together. The older is sensitive. Would you do your famous men set with both or perhaps have the older student read The Story of the Greeks by Guerber/miller that I already own?

I am planning to have the younger do the Famous men set. We are doing Greeks and America 1800s ish next year.

Comment

Just to clarify,
            Older is sensitive as in it bothers older to be compared to younger. Both are sensitive to violence, but I do not think unnaturally so.

Comment

What are they using this year? Are you planning the whole 7th grade lit package with Trojan War? While two years isn’t a huge age difference if they work well together, I think since the older one is sensitive about comparisons it might be time to start breaking them them up a bit. I would hate to take your older one away from Famous Men of Greece because there is (I am almost certain) an audio version of the book on librivox. My third really liked the independence of being able to listen to Famous Men of Rome on librivox. He has had issues with being rather late to reading well
              Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
              15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
              DD College Freshman
              DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
              DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
              DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

No we are not doing the whole literature package. I am designing my own and enjoy this too much to give it up Thisnyear we are covering ancient history with Egypt, Old Testament to the end of Exodus, and various untested early American history biographies up till about the revolution. We have yet to try a literature guide. Next year I am planning for older to do Narnia and younger to do Homer Price. I want to study Greece and progress to expansion in our American history readings along with states and capitals (I am a bit torn on this, but older does not memorize well and he really needs to know the states and capitals, I think. I do want him to do the other geography as well thiugh we are running out of time...) and we will do Christian studies II.
                We follow a sort of Classical Charlotte Mason approach, bending to whatever kids need at the time I dont really find CM as laid out in her original writings to be that different from MP classical. They complement eachother well. What I dont like is both neo CM and neo classical

Comment

Working...
                X