States & Capitals Update?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

States & Capitals Update?

Are there any plans to update States & Capitals with a more recent book than Don't Know Much About the Fifty States? We were reading about Illinois today, which names Sears Tower (now called Willis Tower) as the tallest building in the U.S. and O'Hare as the world's busiest airport. Both of these facts are outdated now, I believe. The book was published in 2001, over 20 years ago! I wonder if there is another book with more current information that could be used in place of this one? Does anyone use something else?
    DS, 11 (MP 7M)
    DD, 8 (MP 3M)
    DD, 5 (MP K)
    DS, almost 1! (chewing on books and knocking stuff over)

In place of the book, we use a set of flashcards that already have some fun facts on them such as the Trend Enterprises pocket flashcards. My children pick out the cards for the states they are learning that week and use them to fill in their workbook. We also use these same flashcards for review in place of the set that came with the curriculum. Not sure if that's helpful but just thought I'd share what has been working for us.

Comment

If I remember right, you can use any book you want. All the workbooks have you do is fill in a fun fact. The course is about memorizing the state locations and capitals, so any book where you can get that basic information is fine. I had an old book from when I was a kid that we liked to pull out and look at. I also had a 4th grade state study from another program that we read through a bit when time and interest allowed.
      Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
      DD, 27, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
      DS, 25, BS '18 mechanical engineering
      DS, 23, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
      (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
      DS, 21, Physics and math major
      DD, 18, dyslexic, 12th grade dual enrolled
      DS, 14, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 9th MPOA diploma student
      DD, 8 , 2nd Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

In defense of the book Don't Know Much About the 50 States, I had also purchased two other books that were more thorough and up-to-date, but we came back to MP's choice over and over. It had the easiest layout (one page) and least overwhelming amount of information for third graders. It helped us allocate the least amount of time to S&C since we weren't wading through too much information. I like to tell my kids with books that compile "factoids" or "world records" that as of the printing of this book, the following was true or assumed to be true. Outdated information is everywhere: in history books, in science books, in atlases, etc. We supplemented with The Great Book of States (1450821782), but even this book is likely to contain outdated information as it was published in 2011. The paperback version of Don't Know Much was published in 2004, but I can't say whether it got any updates.
        Mama of 2, teacher of 3
        Summer: First Start French I
        SY 22/23
        6A, teaching TFL & CC Chreia/Maxim in group, and Koine Greek
        MP2 w/ R&S Arithmetic 3

Completed MPK, MP1, MP2, 3A, 4A, 5A
        SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

ShaunaN , I have not used the book, but this resource might be something worth checking into?

https://notgrasshistory.com/collections/our-50-states

I could not find the release date on their website.

Comment

Originally posted by enbateau View Post
            In defense of the book Don't Know Much About the 50 States, I had also purchased two other books that were more thorough and up-to-date, but we came back to MP's choice over and over. It had the easiest layout (one page) and least overwhelming amount of information for third graders. It helped us allocate the least amount of time to S&C since we weren't wading through too much information. I like to tell my kids with books that compile "factoids" or "world records" that as of the printing of this book, the following was true or assumed to be true. Outdated information is everywhere: in history books, in science books, in atlases, etc. We supplemented with The Great Book of States (1450821782), but even this book is likely to contain outdated information as it was published in 2011. The paperback version of Don't Know Much was published in 2004, but I can't say whether it got any updates.
            We really like the chosen book as well. The one page format makes filling out the workbook easy and most things in there are still correct.
            Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
            15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
            DD College Freshman
            DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
            DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
            DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

Another vote for Don’t Know Much. I had to cover our copy in tape because it has been do well used.
              The Older Boys:
              J- 6/96: (CAPD/mild ASD) working/living on his own
              S- 11/98: Jan. 2022- BYU-I accounting major

The Middle Boys:
              G- 4/04 (mild ASD/mild intellectual delay)
              D- 5/05 (mild processing issues)

The Princess:
              F- 7/08

The Youngest Boy:
              M- 9/16

Comment

We have never been able to find another book that we like as well as this one. I did look recently to see if there is anything new out there. My main issue with this one is that it looks a little cartoony, but there are far worse ones, so I have always lived with that. I do like that the simplicity of Don't Know Much ... since we use it as the first opportunity for young students to pull facts out of their reading and write them down in a notebook.

You have made me wonder if Harper Collins will ever revise it and update it, but until we find something else that we like as well, we will continue to use this one. If you find something you like, send me a link, and I'll look at it. Maybe you can find a book I have missed.

And you can use any book you would like since the student is choosing his/her own fun facts. This is purely for interest since the main purpose of the course is to learn to map the United States, master the spelling of the states, and learn the capitals and abbreviations.

Tanya

Comment

Thanks for the responses! We like the book, too. We took the opportunity to look up what the current tallest building and busiest airport are and I explained how those things change over time.
                  tanya, if I come across anything, I will let you know!
                  DS, 11 (MP 7M)
                  DD, 8 (MP 3M)
                  DD, 5 (MP K)
                  DS, almost 1! (chewing on books and knocking stuff over)

Comment

Working...
                  X