Standardized tests moving online?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standardized tests moving online?

What is the Memoria Press guidance for standardized testing? I ask because I'm seeing that the SATs are now completely online (which I hate). While I may not like it, and I don't believe it's a good way to take a test, I can't fight the rest of the country's move to digital online everything. I know I can still get the ITBS paper format, but what do you guys at Memoria Press /HLS think about this. Are you going to transition to the online format of test taking? At what point do you think we should be practicing theses tests in a digital format?
    Melissa

DS (MP4M) - 10
    DS (MP3A) - 8
    DS (1) - 7
    DD (Adorable distraction) 4

I'm not making the leap to digital testing yet. I'm sorry, but there is nothing similar about the IOWA for 5th graders, with all of its colorful pictures, and what students will experience on the SAT. What we are doing in the meantime is teaching keyboarding/mouse/laptop skills and familiarity with Windows/Apple products and various programs. Give it time and there will be good online SAT prep experiences you can pay for. I would wait until the digital test goes live this fall and see what videos pop up from star testers. So far, I haven't seen any videos from people who have taken it digitally, just popular SAT prep YouTubers and news sites giving their 2 cents.

FWIW, ACT may hold the line on paper testing. I don't think the online format is going to be what's hard. By the time our digital-age children are 15, they won't struggle either. If the SAT is important to your kids' desired colleges, then enroll them in a good prep class at the time. By then, it will include all of the necessary hints and tricks for doing well on the online version.
    Mama of 2, teacher of 3
    Summer: First Start French I
    SY 22/23
    6A, teaching TFL & CC Chreia/Maxim in group, and Koine Greek
    MP2 w/ R&S Arithmetic 3

Completed MPK, MP1, MP2, 3A, 4A, 5A
    SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

Originally posted by MBentley View Post
      What is the Memoria Press guidance for standardized testing? I ask because I'm seeing that the SATs are now completely online (which I hate). While I may not like it, and I don't believe it's a good way to take a test, I can't fight the rest of the country's move to digital online everything. I know I can still get the ITBS paper format, but what do you guys at Memoria Press /HLS think about this. Are you going to transition to the online format of test taking? At what point do you think we should be practicing theses tests in a digital format?
      Melissa,
      First, the SAT isn’t online yet - PSAT will in Fall of 2023 and SAT in Spring of 2024. I have a sophomore so he will take the PSAT on paper in the fall and will make sure he takes either the SAT or ACT in his junior year before this all goes live. Your kids are young so they really don’t have much to worry about. My concern is about access for homeschool students that this will become the nightmare that AP tests are where you have to beg for a seat. Also, the usage of your own device, but at a school seems weird. I don’t know that I want my personal devises on school Wi-Fi. I also don’t know how they are going to correlate scores with older versions since the online SAT will be adaptive/shorter. I am concerned for students who need to take the SAT the year this goes live. The College Board has done a lot of new versions of SAT in recent years and it rarely rolls out well. I think it will give a bump to the ACT in the short term, but longer term I don’t know if I agree with enbateau that ACT will stay on paper. I think it will be hard for ACT to compete with a test that is an hour longer, but they have shown willingness to have computer/paper simultaneously. I do agree that it won’t change any testing I do with younger kids. The SAT/ACT have always been and will continue to be their own beast that you study for specifically. They really bear little resemblance to anything else.
      Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
      15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
      DD College Freshman
      DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
      DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
      DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

enbateau
        Mom2mthj

That's good advice from you both. It's just something I was thinking about as I realized the ITBS for 4th/5th now has an online format as well. In my memory, the SAT/ACT never was anything to worry about because it was just slightly different content, but the basic format was the same: Test booklet, scan-tron, pencil, hours of testing. However, that was something done every school year with some form of multi - ALL CAP - letter test so it never created internal anxiety for me. I've come to learn that a lot of people store up anxiety about test taking and I was thinking ahead to that possibility and wondering if training in that format would make a difference if I started younger (4th/5th) where I'm at now.

It wouldn't be the first time I have been "over-thinking" something. I just see the pattern: SAT online, NLE online format available now, GRE, AP, and even professional licensing exams are online now. I hate it, but it always seems like we are trying to make it easier on the grader, rather than focus on the primary point of the test. I think it's a dumb move, but no matter what I think, I'm just trying to prepare for the path that's ahead, even if it is foreign to me and doesn't do justice to the format of the past. But before I do what I usually do...I was looking for guidance from you guys and MP. Thank you both!
        Melissa

DS (MP4M) - 10
        DS (MP3A) - 8
        DS (1) - 7
        DD (Adorable distraction) 4

Comment

My older kids have done the NLE online and it was nice not to have to mail stuff back. It was just the paper test online. The SAT however will be adaptive with a single question per shorter passage from what I understand which is going to be a very different study pattern especially since I doubt it will let you go back to previous questions. I don’t know how you prep study/time management for that yet. Someone will figure that out I’m sure. In the meantime, it is good to be aware that it’s coming.
          Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
          15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
          DD College Freshman
          DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
          DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
          DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

Working...
          X