Derek Owens or Novere Physical Science

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Derek Owens or Novere Physical Science

Hello! I was planning to have my rising 8th grader do Novere Physical science next year. We are also having her do Derek Owens Algebra. I saw that Derek Owens also offers a physical science class as well as other upper level science classes. We were going to do Physical Science with MPOA, but Derek Owens offers a self-paced graded option that intrigues me. Does anyone have experience with these classes? Can anyone compare Derek Owens with Novere, specifically with Physical Science? I appreciate your time and input! Thank you so much in advance!
    2021-2022
    9th year Homeschooling
    6th year MP
    Home + MPOA
    7th, 3rd, 3rd, 1st

I haven’t used Derek Owens and it’s been a few since since I looked at it, but if I remember the physical science is an algebra based 8th/9th grade level course. Correct me if I remember incorrectly.
    Novare Physical Science is pre-algebra based and is geared toward 6th-7th and sometimes 8th grade. Novare Introductory Physics and also their Advanced Studies in Physics and Chemistry are algebra based geared toward 9th. (ASPC is just IP with two extra chemistry chapters basically).
    I am familiar with Prentice Hall Physical Science which is an algebra based 9th grade level class. I believe Derek Owens is probably close to Prentice Hall as far as level. PH is about the same as Novare ASPC (slightly below ASPC but pretty close). Novare IP doesn’t quite have the chemistry to compare to PH’s PS or ASPC.
    If you are looking for a lower level middle school class then Novare PS is a solid choice. However, you said for an 8th grader. If the 8th grader will be enrolled in algebra 1 (or has had it), I strongly suggest considering Novare IP or ASPC over Physical Science IF said student intends to later take a trig based physics (typical high school physics) later. Alternatively, the Derek Owens class would probably be comparable content wise to IP/ASPC. If said students isn’t looking at trig physics later and only wants to do IP in 9th, the do the Novare PS as IP would be mostly repeat after Derek Owens.
    I can’t comment on how they compare as far as implementation. And I need to go review DO to verify what I said about content (I just don’t want to lose this post so I’ll publish it and edit if I need to)
    Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
    DD, 27, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
    DS, 25, BS '18 mechanical engineering
    DS, 23, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
    (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
    DS, 21, Physics and math major
    DD, 18, dyslexic, 12th grade dual enrolled
    DS, 14, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 9th MPOA diploma student
    DD, 8 , 2nd Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

After looking at Derek Owens site- my previous comments stand.

Comment

momgineer Thank you! You are always coming to the rescue with my science questions! As a follow-up, if we do IP through MPOA, the prerequisite states: “completion of Algebra 1”. My daughter will be about half way through Algebra 1 when classes start in the fall. Knowing this information, do you think IP will be too advanced and we should stick to Physical Science until she has completed Algebra 1, or will she be ok to complete Algebra during the first semester of IP?
        2021-2022
        9th year Homeschooling
        6th year MP
        Home + MPOA
        7th, 3rd, 3rd, 1st

Comment

I can't really speak to MPOA and whether they would wave the requirement. My opinion is it depends on the student. A decent math student who is capable of taking algebra 1 in 8th should be just fine in IP after a semester of algebra 1. There is a lot of math in IP, but it is taught explicitly how to do it and it is pretty basic math. They convert unit A LOT! That is simply ratio calculations that can be done with a knowledge of 6th grade math. They over emphasize how to do this and it shouldn't be an issue if the student is careful and diligent. They do solve numerous equations, but always the actual equation is given with the variable to solve for isolated. That means they are just solving single variable equations and they don't even have to manipulate equations. Most students are capable of doing this after pre-algebra. If the student happens upon an equation type they do not know how to solve, the text gives examples of every type of equation they do, so they can learn from the examples.
          While the text has a lot of math, it heavily emphasizes conceptual understanding and writing paragraphs about concepts. I'd say tests are about half written answers and half problem solving. My daughter struggled the most with the written answers and excelled in the math (she had had algebra 1 in 8th and did IP in 9th). My son excelled in both when he took it in 8th, but he loves physics and already knew most of it from independent study. I have heard of students concurrently enrolled in algebra 1 who struggled. I *think* that may have been that they didn't have a good grasp of fractions and ratios from pre-algebra. In general, I would say if a student struggles with math and had to delay algebra 1 to 9th grade and wants to do IP concurrently in 9th, they may struggle because they struggle with math. Students who do well in math and are able to take algebra 1 in 8th should be ok to take IP concurrently. In your case, your 8th grader will have taken half of algebra 1 before starting so I think she should be fine. But again, you would have to talk to the MPOA people for their particular policy.

Comment

We love Derek Owens here. My 9th grader is taking Physics online and my daughter is taking his live Physics course. He’s a great teacher, and his grading service is excellent. Both of my kids heartily recommend him. The biggest downside to me is there aren’t really deadlines. He is very flexible, so if you have a kid who can keep up without deadlines, it’s great. My 9th grader took MPOA Physical Science last year. The teacher was also excellent. The biggest downside for me was that the quizzes were mostly computer graded. I’m not sure if that is still the case or if that is even a concern for you.
            DD 17 | 12th
            DS 15 | 9th
            DD 13 | 8th
            2021-2022

13th Year HSing, 9th Year MP

Comment

We used and really liked DO's physical science. My dd did it the same year she did his prealgebra.
              Bean. Long time MP user. Almost retired homeschool mom and university faculty/ librarian. Teaching a "Children's Lit for Educators" class this semester!

I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

DD (16) Graduating May 2022!
              Mechanical Engineering

"School Administrator" to niece (9): MP 3A

Comment

Thank you all for your input! Your experience and advice is so helpful!
                2021-2022
                9th year Homeschooling
                6th year MP
                Home + MPOA
                7th, 3rd, 3rd, 1st

Comment

Working...
                X