Traditional Spelling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional Spelling

Hi! I’m snowed in at a hotel in Fort Collins, CO at the moment so I am thinking of school stuff of course! (I’m taking S out to BYU-I.) [Prayers 80 opens and is clear are much appreciated.]

How many levels of TS are planned?

How will the program change in these higher levels? I’m thinking of how R&S and others switch to more of a roots/prefix/suffix-based approach around 1/2 way through 6th to 8th.

I’m so happy M will have this and sad the olders missed it.
    Last edited by Enigma; 12-31-2021, 12:31 PM.
    The Older Boys:
    J- 6/96: (CAPD/mild ASD) working/living on his own
    S- 11/98: Jan. 2022- BYU-I accounting major

The Middle Boys:
    G- 4/04 (mild ASD/mild intellectual delay)
    D- 5/05 (mild processing issues)

The Princess:
    F- 7/08

The Youngest Boy:
    M- 9/16

Cheryl always planned to have the Traditional Spelling program through 6th grade. My hope is to help that vision become a reality. There is no plan to go through 8th grade.

Beginning in level IV when students should have been through First Form, we begin referencing the Latin and Greek roots of some words. Memoria always references the Latin when we can! We do mention a little Latin in a few lessons of TS III as well, but no activities are really scheduled, just a note to point out the Latin tie-in.

Glad your younger students will have this resource as well and hope that we finish the levels for her to use them all!

Blessings,

Comment

You will not find much need for it with TSIII and under, but I would highly recommend the MP book Roots of English. It has already been so helpful with my SFL class, Classical Composition and SWO for 4th and 5th grade. It has Latin and Greek affixes that are not overtly explained in other levels of material. While roots are somewhat easier to discern from Latin vocabulary and derivatives, the suffixes help students determine parts of speech. That way, when we have a word we need to replace in Variations for CC, we can use clues from the suffixes "ion" and "or" to know we need a noun form to replace it or that the suffixes -ive, -able/-ible, -ful, -less and -ic/-ical can indicate adjectives. I find the book especially helpful in 5-7th because Greek is not begun until 7th.
      Mama of 2, teacher of 3
      SY 22/23
      6A, teaching TFL & CC Chreia/Maxim w/ Elementary Greek Year One
      MP2

Completed MPK, MP1, MP2, 3A, 4A, 5A
      SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math)

Comment

Have a safe and productive trip to BYU-I. Hope that 80 has opened up for you and that you can get back through before the next round of storms.
        '22/'23 - 5th MP Year
        HS Dad & HLN Teacher
        ​​​​​Married to Faculty HS Mom
        8S, 3nd MP @ Home & HLN
        6D, 1st MP @ Home & HLN
        5S, K MP @ Home & HLN

Comment

Checking back in: thank you everyone for your prayers. We made it back home Sunday night with no excitement. S is doing fine so far.
          The Older Boys:
          J- 6/96: (CAPD/mild ASD) working/living on his own
          S- 11/98: Jan. 2022- BYU-I accounting major

The Middle Boys:
          G- 4/04 (mild ASD/mild intellectual delay)
          D- 5/05 (mild processing issues)

The Princess:
          F- 7/08

The Youngest Boy:
          M- 9/16

Comment

Michelle T Do you anticipate Trad Spelling IV added to the fourth grade package for the next school year?
            Katie

DS 18, DD 15, DD 12, twin DDs 9

Comment

Katie,

We always beta test a program before we offer it for sale. Level IV will be tested in our classes next year then released after that.

Comment

Okay. Thanks for getting back so quickly, Michelle. That’s good to know. Have a blessed weekend!
                Katie

DS 18, DD 15, DD 12, twin DDs 9

Comment

Working...
                X