Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Math lessons

R&S Math veterans,

I have 2 daughters in full MP cores (1st & 2nd) and a 4yr old hanging out. Because I need to utilize independent work where feasible to more efficiently manage teaching 2 separate cores, it often works out that my girls do their math workbook pages before we actually review the associated lesson. Assuming they understand the concepts, as evidenced by correct answers and no trouble during completion of the workbook pages, is it necessary/important to go back and review the actual lesson? Most of it is review that is already contained in the workbook pages they’ve done. I appreciate the mastery approach and need for repetition, however if they’re having no trouble, that extra 20 minutes we would’ve spent reviewing those lessons comes in handy with other subjects (usually reading/literature).

Thanks,
    Megan

Trying to find the balance between what is necessary and what is ideal is tough and specific to each family. If your kids are continuing to show proficiency in their work, I have found it to be fine to not teach every R&S lesson. At the beginning of the week, I look at the upcoming lessons to see where new concepts are introduced or a part of the kids’ work and be sure to teach math on those days. It works out that I’m generally teaching each kids 2-3 times a week in math. I do check their math every day and complete some of the mental math problems or review in the lesson guide, in addition to the speed drills. My only caveat to this approach is beginning in 4th grade R&S changes the format and approach to math. It sounds like you have a few years until then, so don’t feel bad about not teaching every lesson.
    Heidi

For 2021-22
    dd- 6th
    ds- 3rd
    dd- 1st
    ds- adding smiles and distractions

Comment

Agreeing with VAmom! The R&S 1 though, you could probably alternate the two kids with the oral drill (so do oral drill on day 1 with child 1, day 2 with child 2, etc and just keep alternating - look ahead a few lessons and see if you need to add something to that days drill work. Also keep in mind that the teacher's guide (oral drill portion) will introduce concepts a few days before you see it in the workbook. My oldest child did R&S 1 with ZERO help from me, but it bit us a little once we got into R&S 2. So, I would actually make sure that your oral portion is ahead of the workbook portion.
      Christine

(2021/2022)
      DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, Language Arts with Grandma)
      DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
      DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

Previous Years
      DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
      DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

Comment

I have a similar dilemma with a different math program. It is best to teach the material well, but my daughter wants to jump ahead and just use the workbook as the lesson. What I try to do is teach the lesson one day and assign “homework” in the workbook that they can do during their independent time. For me that looks like teaching one day and having her do it the next morning while I teach her big brother.
        Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
        DD, 26, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
        DS, 24, BS '18 mechanical engineering
        DS, 22, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
        (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
        DS, 20, Physics major
        DD, 17, dyslexic, 11th grade customizednMP plus co-op
        DS, 13, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 8A
        DD, 7 , 1ST Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

Thanks everyone, this is helpful! We usually have one week where we stay on track, followed by another wherein we fall behind. I think the every-other-day suggestion might work well! If that doesn’t pan it, then using class time to teach and assigning workbook for homework should also be feasible. I just really like to limit the work to our “school day.” This is proving more difficult as we progress through successive cores. Thanks everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by MegK1985 View Post
            Thanks everyone, this is helpful! We usually have one week where we stay on track, followed by another wherein we fall behind. I think the every-other-day suggestion might work well! If that doesn’t pan it, then using class time to teach and assigning workbook for homework should also be feasible. I just really like to limit the work to our “school day.” This is proving more difficult as we progress through successive cores. Thanks everyone!
            “Homework” for us, and I think for Christine as well, is actually done during school time. For some families, it’s just another name for independent work. HTH!
            Jennifer
            Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2021-2022
            DS18: Almost done!
            DS17: MP, MPOA
            DS15: MP, MPOA
            DS12: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
            DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
            DD9: SC3
            DD6: MPK

Comment

Working...