Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any updates planned for the 3rd grade core?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any updates planned for the 3rd grade core?

I am considering purchasing the 3rd grade core this month (for next fall), in light of the increased costs and, of course, because I need a reason to order something to get the calendar! 😉

Are updates being planned for any of the main 3rd grade books or the CM itself in the coming months that might make me regret purchasing so far in advance?

Is a Memorial Math Challenge in the works for 3rd grade for next fall? (If it's not available for next fall I'm going to have to find something similar. We've had a great experience with the 2nd grade drills!)

Thanks!
    2021-2022:

DS - 2nd
    DD - K
    DD - toddler mini-tornado
    D? - Coming soon

Very good question, Melashar, thank you for asking it. I was thinking of asking the same today and here you are and you have already asked it. Following for the answer.
    '22/'23 - 5th MP Year
    Dad/HLN 3/4vium Magister
    8S, 3nd MP @ Home & HLN
    6D, 1st MP @ Home & HLN
    5S, K MP @ Home & HLN

Comment

Also following!

Comment

The only change I can think of for 3rd grade is the addition of Traditional Spelling III. It is in the curriculum package, but the lesson plans aren't inserted in the curriculum manual yet and it will be awhile before we get that done. So when you buy 3rd grade, you get a download of the TSIII lesson plans right now. They are really unnecessary since the book itself is broken down into days for you, but I did want to let you know that Spelling Workout is currently in the curriculum manual.

Tanya

Comment

No Memoria Math Drill 3 then?
          The Older Boys:
          J- 6/96: (CAPD/mild ASD) working/living on his own
          S- 11/98: Jan. 2022- BYU-I accounting major

The Middle Boys:
          G- 4/04 (mild ASD/mild intellectual delay)
          D- 5/05 (mild processing issues)

The Princess:
          F- 7/08

The Youngest Boy:
          M- 9/16

Comment

Be so excited rising third graders! TS III is a great addition to the lineup.
            Festina lentē,
            Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
            DS Hillsdale College freshman
            DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
            DD 8th • HLN & Home
            DS 5th • HLN & Home
            Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
            Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
              Be so excited rising third graders! TS III is a great addition to the lineup.
              We are excited, we are. And I'm glad that we can go right from TSII to TSIII. Now who do we have to talk to about getting TSIV?
              '22/'23 - 5th MP Year
              Dad/HLN 3/4vium Magister
              8S, 3nd MP @ Home & HLN
              6D, 1st MP @ Home & HLN
              5S, K MP @ Home & HLN

Comment

Hate to piggyback on this but was wondering the same thing about the 2nd grade curriculum.

Comment

Beorn,

We are working on TSIV. We won't have it by fall because we need to beta test it in our classrooms. Spelling is a tricky thing, so we won't release it until we know it's right. (Of course, that means our students are guinea pigs once again!)

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
                    Beorn,

We are working on TSIV. We won't have it by fall because we need to beta test it in our classrooms. Spelling is a tricky thing, so we won't release it until we know it's right. (Of course, that means our students are guinea pigs once again!)

Tanya
                    Do you mean this fall or fall 2022 it will not be available?
                    Mama of 2, teacher of 3
                    SY 22/23
                    6A, teaching TFL & CC Chreia/Maxim w/ Elementary Greek Year One
                    MP2

Completed MPK, MP1, MP2, 3A, 4A, 5A
                    SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math)

Comment

Second grade has that math situation, so if you did our first grade math this year, you will be all set with second grade to go into Workbook 2. New users will need to use the transitional plans and do Workbook I at the beginning of the year (unless they choose to do it in the summer). All of that is explained in the curriculum manual. It has really complicated things for us to move into 2nd grade math in 1st grade, but 1st grade math was just moving too slowly for us and this is our solution until we write our own math program!

Tanya

Comment

Fall 2022 is when we will begin beta testing it. So it's going to be another year before we have it. I'm sorry about that!

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
                          Second grade has that math situation, so if you did our first grade math this year, you will be all set with second grade to go into Workbook 2. New users will need to use the transitional plans and do Workbook I at the beginning of the year (unless they choose to do it in the summer). All of that is explained in the curriculum manual. It has really complicated things for us to move into 2nd grade math in 1st grade, but 1st grade math was just moving too slowly for us and this is our solution until we write our own math program!

Tanya
                          Tanya,

Thank you for the reply. Looking at our curriculum guide I see it utilizes Arithmetic 2 workbook 1. I am assuming we are good to just stay the course and follow the curriculum guide then, correct?

The math has been a touchy point for us, for the reasons you mentioned it seems to be incredibly slow to progress (Even considering the mastery approach), looking forward to the end of Arithmetic 2 Workbook 1 we have been wondering if we should supplement more.

Will this new Math curriculum be for all grades, or is it a slow roll out by grade and can we expect it to be more difficult?

Comment

Originally posted by DarrenF View Post

Tanya,

Thank you for the reply. Looking at our curriculum guide I see it utilizes Arithmetic 2 workbook 1. I am assuming we are good to just stay the course and follow the curriculum guide then, correct?

The math has been a touchy point for us, for the reasons you mentioned it seems to be incredibly slow to progress (Even considering the mastery approach), looking forward to the end of Arithmetic 2 Workbook 1 we have been wondering if we should supplement more.

Will this new Math curriculum be for all grades, or is it a slow roll out by grade and can we expect it to be more difficult?
                            Not Tanya, but I haven’t heard that MP is actively writing a new math program. They have recently released the morning math (not sure the official name) books. If they were to do it, it would be a long process that they would test at HLS before it would come out for the homeschool market. I think if it were close then many more people would be bugging Tanya about it like they are with spelling.
                            Dorinda

Plans for 2022-2023
                            16th year homeschooling, 13th year with Memoria Press
                            DD College Sophomore
                            DS 11th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata, MPOA Divine Comedy
                            DS 9th grade - Vita Beata Literature/Classical Studies
                            DS 4th grade - 4A with Right Start F, Second Form Latin, AAS 5

Comment

The only math curriculum Memoria Press is currently developing is the Memoria Math program of speed drills. We use Rod & Staff in all grades K-6. Right now that is still the plan. There are some Math Enrichment Questions we added to the back of some curriculum guides in the primary grades and we have written 3 weeks of math review to begin first grade before moving straight to the second workbook of Rod & Staff 1, as well as one week of review for 2nd grade for the beginning of that year before starting with Rod & Staff 2, book 2 at the beginning of the year. But, Dorinda is correct, if we had a math program in the works, people would be bugging Tanya about when it would be released.

TS IV will hopefully beta test next school year and be ready for release in 2023. That is the plan!!

Blessings,

Comment

Working...
                              X