Literature Guide Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Literature Guide Use

Hello! I have a foggy memory of someone from MP saying that in the older grades students are supposed to write answers for literature in a separate notebook. It was mentioned as a way to prepare for college work. Does that start in 8th with poetry+ short stories and The Wind in the Willows when the format changes? Thanks for any help!😀
    2021-2022 will be our 9th year of home schooling.
    *D 13, 8th grade
    *S 11, 6th grade
    *D 9, 4th grade
    *D 7, 2nd grade
    *S 5, K

The format of how the lesson is taught changes in parts of 8th with the short stories and Wind in the Willows, but those books are currently still in a full in the workbook format. Most of the other books that use the upper school lesson format have student guides without room to write, although there might still be a few holdovers that haven’t been updated. Also there are a couple books for upper school that don’t use the grammar/logic/rhetoric format such as Little Women and some of the Shakespeare books.
    So two things- format if the lesson (having grammar/logic/and rhetoric sections) and format of the guide itself (whether it has blank lines to write vs no room to write). The 8th grade books you mentioned have the upper school lesson format but still use blank lines to fill in answers. So it is a gradual change as they get used to the new lesson format, they still have the ability to write in the guide.
    Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
    DD, 27, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
    DS, 25, BS '18 mechanical engineering
    DS, 23, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
    (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
    DS, 21, Physics and math major
    DD, 18, dyslexic, 12th grade dual enrolled
    DS, 14, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 9th MPOA diploma student
    DD, 8 , 2nd Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

How have y'all found the transition to teaching those upper level guides? Frankly, they intimidate me. MPOA won't be an option.
      The Older Boys:
      J- 6/96: (CAPD/mild ASD) working/living on his own
      S- 11/98: Jan. 2022- BYU-I accounting major

The Middle Boys:
      G- 4/04 (mild ASD/mild intellectual delay)
      D- 5/05 (mild processing issues)

The Princess:
      F- 7/08

The Youngest Boy:
      M- 9/16

Comment

They are awesome! I used many with my dyslexic high schooler and they enriched our study so much. She was a poor writer and I didn’t push essay writing, but the questions brought out some wonderful discussions and helped each of us see points we hadn’t before. She had no trouble with the questions, just the essays (which are very age appropriate and my 9th grader is handling them just fine). I didn’t find them intimidating at all. The transition in the short stories/witw year started a bit rough but as each of my kids got used to the new expectations, they soared.
        Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
        DD, 27, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
        DS, 25, BS '18 mechanical engineering
        DS, 23, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
        (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
        DS, 21, Physics and math major
        DD, 18, dyslexic, 12th grade dual enrolled
        DS, 14, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 9th MPOA diploma student
        DD, 8 , 2nd Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

Thanks, Debbie. Now I can chill.
          The Older Boys:
          J- 6/96: (CAPD/mild ASD) working/living on his own
          S- 11/98: Jan. 2022- BYU-I accounting major

The Middle Boys:
          G- 4/04 (mild ASD/mild intellectual delay)
          D- 5/05 (mild processing issues)

The Princess:
          F- 7/08

The Youngest Boy:
          M- 9/16

Comment

Thanks for breaking that down for me Debbie! 😊
            2021-2022 will be our 9th year of home schooling.
            *D 13, 8th grade
            *S 11, 6th grade
            *D 9, 4th grade
            *D 7, 2nd grade
            *S 5, K

Comment

Working...
            X