Grading Tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grading Tests

I apologize if this is answered elsewhere, but I was wondering about grading tests. Our state doesn't require grades, so this is just for us. Does Memoria suggest how to grade tests for literature, Famous Men, etc? How much weight to give to short answer vs. fill in the blank, etc? I kind of wonder how they grade/weigh answers on Latin tests, too. I am fine continuing to come up with my own, but figured I'd check if anything already exists. 😊 Thanks, all!
    2021-2022 will be our 9th year of home schooling.
    *D 13, 8th grade
    *S 11, 6th grade
    *D 9, 4th grade
    *D 7, 2nd grade
    *S 5, K

To my knowledge there isn't a great summary on the exact points per question, although I wish they would do the hard work and weigh the sections for us. For lit, I usually weigh vocab as 1pt and short answer as 3-5 pts, then do the division. For Latin, there's usually 3 pts per blank in Latin vocab (right spelling, full dictionary form with gender or conjugation), 1pt per blank for declining or conjugating (all or nothing), and 1 pt per blank for translation parsing with half points off for word order issues or miscopied final translation. History, geo and science usually come with some leniency for spelling, blanks are 1 pt, and the short answer questions usually get 3-5 points.

We do not log grades, take cumulative averages or share them with anyone, but the test scores themselves tell me a lot about study habits, weaknesses or strengths, and comprehension of the material.
    Mama of 2, teacher of 3
    Summer: First Start French I
    SY 22/23
    6A, teaching TFL & CC Chreia/Maxim in group, and Koine Greek
    MP2 w/ R&S Arithmetic 3

Completed MPK, MP1, MP2, 3A, 4A, 5A
    SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

When I took the second form day class at Sodalitas the first time a few years back, the teacher said she gave a point for vocabulary (all or nothing), a point for the saying, and translations she gave one point for however many Latin words it took to translate the form or sentence. The form drills and translations she gave partial credit for. When I took second form the second time at Sodalitas a couple of years later, I had a different instructor and he mentioned that he did not take off points for an incorrectly spelled English word in a translation as it wasn’t a spelling class. Grammar questions I give generally a point per blank. If the question is asking for four principal parts of a verb, I will give one point per form and I do give partial credit on vocabulary sometimes. Like embateau, grading is for my use. I am not reporting it or averaging it or even saving it past the end of the school year. I just like to see how my student is doing before moving on to new material. They like to see how they did as well. There really isn’t a right or wrong way, just be consistent.
      Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
      15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
      DD College Freshman
      DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
      DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
      DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

As you can see here, our teachers all pretty much do their own thing! But generally, I would agree with the advice given here - 1 point for matching, identification, multiple choice - anything that is a one or two word answer and 2-3 points for a short answer question and 5-10 points for a short discussion/essay question that would require 2-3 sentences up to a paragraph to answer.

Tanya

Comment

Thank you all for your responses!
          2021-2022 will be our 9th year of home schooling.
          *D 13, 8th grade
          *S 11, 6th grade
          *D 9, 4th grade
          *D 7, 2nd grade
          *S 5, K

Comment

Working...
          X