Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jumping into Novare in 8th grade, sequence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    bean

• bean
    replied
    To comment some more (so I don't get flagged if edit my original post). A student who is young socially would not do well on a college campus, so definitely keep her at her age grade on paper.

What you do in coop doesn't matter as much on your transcript. Kids grow and change a lot in high school. It much trickier to add on a year than it is to graduate early. Just keep good records and you can create a transcript when the time comes.

Leave a comment:

• bean

• bean
    replied
    I am familiar with EMF. My dd used it. I agree with the others. She won't have enough algebra for the physics unless you supplement. Which EMF course is she on?

I also agree to leave her at her age grade on paper as long as possible. My dd is applying for college as an "11th grader" and it's fine. She did bring up some high school credits from 8th grade.
    bean
    Last edited by bean; 10-13-2021, 05:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• sycamore

• sycamore
    replied
    Thank you so much for your replies!

Mom2mthj
    Mom2mthj , I really appreciate your reflections on not pushing bright kids out of the nest too soon. I agree and it's a great point. Thank you for that. DD is a fall birthday and fit well academically in the bumped up co-op class...and she's an "old soul" intellectually... but definitely a young soul socially, and I think she could benefit from time to be at home, be a kid, explore her interests, etc. I will think more about this! I appreciate your thoughtful reply about sequencing the science. The earth science is definitely more where her interests lie right now.

Beorn
    Beorn Thank you for taking the time to offer these thoughtful follow-up questions! I have looked over the TOCs for both Earth Science and Physical Science and the TOC from the Apologia General Science. It seems like the Apologia was heavier on the earth science topics, although there were definitely several chapters on basics of Physics and Chemistry...atoms, forces, etc. They did experiments and did the lab notebook, etc. I am not deeply familiar with the Apologia (I've never taught it myself and this was my first experience with it) so I don't know if the Novare would be a step up in terms of complexity and serve as a kind of "spiral" instead of just reviewing the same things. I will say the kids in the co-op where my daughter was last year are doing physical science this year for 8th/9th with an Apologia text.

As far as your other questions, DD is a voracious reader and very interested in writing, literature, history, and religion, but is also very interested in nature and small-scale, sustainable agriculture, with some side interest in genetics (breeding animals, etc.).

I actually think your suggested sequence of doing Earth, Physical, Intro Physics, Bio, Chem could serve her well. My only question was whether I could count the physical science as a high-school course in 9th grade so she could have four high-school science credits; however if we don't do a co-op again and consider her "back" in 7th grade this year, it would still be fine because we'd have another year after the chemistry to do another high-school science if we wanted to.

I really appreciate everyone's thoughtfulness! Thank you again!

Leave a comment:

• Beorn

• Beorn
    replied
    Welcome to the MP forum,
    sycamore
    sycamore. I am a big fan of the Novare courses and I am guessing you will be as well. Agreed about liking their pedagogical and religious outlook. I am so thankful that Novare is available as an option these days.

Others can probably answer your question better than I can but I'll still give it a shot. I agree with
    Mom2mthj
    Mom2mthj that waiting to take Intro to Physics until Algebra I is completed or at very least concurrent is wise. Same for General Chemistry and Algebra II. I am a big fan of both Earth Science and Physical Science so I struggle with skipping one (or both).

Have you taken a look at the Physical Science book? Did what your daughter did in Apologia General Science cover the same topics/ideas in Physical Science? Or Earth Science? Would it be a lot of review for her?

What are her likes/dislikes? Does your state require a certain amount of science credits? Does she have any idea what field she would like to be in after graduation? Is medical field a possibility? Answering these types of questions will help us give a better answer to you.

Since neither she nor you like the hard sciences/STEM and depending on your answers above, I'd still consider covering Novare's Earth Science and Physical Science in 8th/9th unless it is mostly review. So much good material covered there that would give your daughter a wonderful knowledge base no matter what she ends up doing in life. From there, Intro to Physics then Biology and/or General Chemistry would be the route I would suggest, but again, it depends on your answers to the above questions.

Leave a comment:

• Mom2mthj

• Mom2mthj
    replied
    First, I would leave her in her age based grade. I understand the bit about the co-op placement or school when you are trying to find the right level for academics, but in general I don’t believe bright kids being homeschooled are well served by being pushed a grade ahead. Just teach the content they are ready for without pushing them out the door early. The extra year to mature and cover some advanced cool stuff aren’t things I recommend skipping. You are using a deep sounding math program, but since she won’t be in algebra until next year that is when she can take the Intro to Physics course. I like the earth science book so you could do that this year, not too much math involved. I would skip the physical science book since she did a general apologia class already and do the intro to physics book when she is in algebra then biology and then chemistry. Chemistry really needs algebra 2 concepts so that is the reason for biology first. Good luck and welcome!

Leave a comment:

• sycamore

• sycamore
    started a topic Jumping into Novare in 8th grade, sequence?

Jumping into Novare in 8th grade, sequence?

Hello!

My daughter was in a co-op last year for 7th grade and did Apologia General Science (some basic concepts, some earth science, and a little bit on basic physics/chemistry). She's not in the co-op this year, and I'm thinking of switching her into the Novare program. Novare just meshes so much more with our pedagogical and religious outlook. (I know, we're late in the year...we tried doing some self-directed work, but it's not working out...definitely time for a curriculum)!

The question is, do I start her with earth science now, then do physical science/intro physics/bio/chem in HS? Do I skip earth science and do physical science now to make room for a more advanced science in 12th? Do I do earth science now and skip physical science because it's similar to intro physics? She is a very bright kid and has always done well in all her subjects--in fact she's supposed to be in 7th this year, but we bumped her a year ahead last year for the co-op and she did just fine in a combined 7th/8th class--but she is not a lover of hard science, nor am I. I don't imagine a STEM college/STEM career future for her. For high school sciences I'm planning to look into online classes as Schole, but for this year, I would try to DIY it with her and the curriculum.

FYI she's doing Elements of Mathematics Foundations online...it's proof-based mathematics for kids adept at math. It's not "traditional" math but is more like how mathematicians think of math. She should be getting to algebra concepts next year.

Thank you for any advice! I am a new-ish homeschooler and am new to this forum--I heard it was the place to come for Qs on Novare!
Working...
X