Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jumping into Novare in 8th grade, sequence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mom2mthj Thank you so much for taking the time to share this perspective. I was wondering about the at-home aspect of this. I was planning to put DD in online classes for the high school, but I see what you mean about the labs! I have heard other places they are very intense. I love the theory and math of science and always did well in math & science classes, but I don't like experiments (sorry) and am definitely coming to appreciate the reality of balancing everything for my three kids (including one with dyslexia and ADHD, for whom I'm doing reading intervention). So this perspective is really helpful. Thank you. I will look at the other resource you mentioned too! My older daughter is in a co-op and loving it and getting her labs there, so that's been good all around.

Comment

I am agreeing with Mom2mthj- the books are not exactly home education friendly at all. Great for a school, not for at home. Our experience with Earth Science and Physical Science was similar to hers. We jumped ship for Apologia self-paced (puffy heart) and BJU dlo (I do NOT reccommend!) courses. Rainbow is the one I used with my oldest. HUGE HUGE boxes of supplies!
      The Homeschool Grads:
      J- 6/96
      S- 11/98

Homeschooling:
      G- 4/04 (mild ASD/mild intellectual delay)
      D- 5/05
      F- 7/08 (my only girl)

New Homeschooler:
      M- 9/16: JrK

Comment

We ended up doing:

ASPC- Labs with friends who are engineers. We ended rewriting almost all of them. We finished the year with Georgia Public Broadcasting's program and a good-but-standard public school physics text.
        Chemistry with Georgia Public Broadcasting and Zumdahl. We used the microchem kit from home scientist.
        Biology with MP's Holt Book, Modern States CLEP prep and home-brewed labs
        General Chem DE (Zumdahl)
        University Physic DE (Gianccoli)
        Bean. Long time MP user. I usually post before my first cup of tea is finished. I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

2021-2022

DD (16) Appling to college. Mostly DE with a little MP to finish up homeschooling.

"School Administrator" to Bonus Kid (9): MP 3A

Comment

Originally posted by bean View Post
          We ended up doing:

ASPC- Labs with friends who are engineers. We ended rewriting almost all of them. We finished the year with Georgia Public Broadcasting's program and a good-but-standard public school physics text.
          Chemistry with Georgia Public Broadcasting and Zumdahl. We used the microchem kit from home scientist.
          Biology with MP's Holt Book, Modern States CLEP prep and home-brewed labs
          General Chem DE (Zumdahl)
          University Physic DE (Gianccoli)
          Did you just watch the videos for chemistry from GPB? We they easy to line up with the text? I have had the page with the videos up on my iPad for a few weeks, but haven’t had time to preview or decide whether to buy the teacher resources. I located a an older edition of Zumdahl Introductory Chemistry -student, teacher, and solutions, super cheap this summer, but I am thinking we will wait until my third form Latin class ends in a month or so before we dive in. I must admit to being a bit nervous to start because it has been a long time since I had Chemistry…I really liked it, but it has been a long time. I still look at The Spectrum because it all comes in a nice box all laid out and student led, but it is probably me just procrastinating jumping in with what I have. I should check out the lab kit you mentioned.
          Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
          15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
          DD College Freshman
          DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
          DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
          DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

We used Georgia Public like we would Derek Owens. Dd watched the videos and took notes in the note taking guides then did the assignments. For physics, we didn't try to match it up with the book. We mostly used the book as a second explanation and a source of homework problems since there were enough in the book with solutions that we didn't need any teacher materials. We did jump around a little because Dd's lab partner was using a different book. GPB has video labs. Dd did some of those and also watched some of the GPB labs before doing it in real life. For Chem, we mostly followed the book and rearranged the GPB sections to align.

Kit we used for Chem:
            https://www.thehomescientist.com/kits.php
            The kit was fine, but microchem is a very small scale. We had the girls write full lab reports. I know there are different kits that have fill in the blank labs if that gets it done for you. (Quality Science Labs).

Physics book we used (Cheap from HPB)
            https://www.amazon.com/Glencoe-Physi...4290424&sr=8-3

For Chem, we used World of Chem, but I think it's the same text as Introductory Chem by the same authors.

If I had it to do over again, I probably would have done Derek Owens for Physics. We liked his Physical Science. The Georgia Public materials were fine (and cheap!), but we ended up using them two years in a row. Dd was on the young side, and the GPB teacher is goofy in a science teacher kind of way. It was perfect for her, but her lab friend is 3 years older and wasn't a fan.
            Last edited by bean; Yesterday, 04:54 AM.
            Bean. Long time MP user. I usually post before my first cup of tea is finished. I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

2021-2022

DD (16) Appling to college. Mostly DE with a little MP to finish up homeschooling.

Comment

Also Dorinda,

https://sarah40.wordpress.com/about/
              I think this aligns with the chemistry book you have.

2021-2022

Comment

Working...
              X