Drawing from MP materials to create a memory work program only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drawing from MP materials to create a memory work program only

I have a question about using Memoria Press materials for creating a memory program for my 4 public schooled children grades 1-5. The two oldest are in the gifted program. The younger two are in first grade and gifted doesn’t start until 3rd, but I think they will qualify. It is only the top 10% in our school district, unlike some I have read about which are the top 1%. I intend to keep them in public school, so this would be an afterschool, summers thing.

My children’s memories are very good and I feel like I am missing an opportunity to capitalize on that. I am attracted to them learning a body of information sort of like Classical Conversations or Catholic Schoolhouse. I am just more drawn to what I hear about the body of information that Memoria Press draws from, rather than other classical programs.

If I were to try to recreate this using Memoria Press materials, what materials would I have to purchase? I feel like I could find interesting material on my own to flesh it out. In other words, without purchasing everything, because there wouldn’t be time to teach that, which materials contain what would be considered memory work? I already own the MP recitation materials for their grades, so I am familiar with that, but what about for what would be considered memory work for the rest of the courses?

I am attracted to the idea of using spaced repetition to reinforce it too, since they wouldn't be getting the actual courses for the memory work to be reinforcing.

If you think this isn't practical, as in, "why reinvent the wheel," or, "It really needs to be all used together," I would still like to hear from you.

This is an intriguing idea. I think that most memory work we do in MP is integrated into a deep study of that subject, so trying to do the memorization alone misses the "richness" of the reading, writing, and discussion of that material. For example, it's wonderful that my 4th grade son has memorized the 12 gods and goddesses of Olympus. This will help him understand many classical references later. But it would be kind of boring to just memorize their names and symbols without having read/discussed the stories about them! Who cares about Hermes unless we've read about his tricks and escapades? Similarly, my 5th grade daughter is working through Famous Men of the Middle Ages. The stories and pictures make it worth remembering that Atilla the Hun was called "The Scourge of God." In short, I think the memory part without the books would be a shadow of what MP has to offer.

Having said that, it sounds like you have a firm plan for your kids to remain in public school but want to enrich their education. My best advice would be to use all the sets of flashcards that go with the various MP courses: Bible, Greek Myths, Famous Men of Greece/Rome/Middle Ages, U.S. history, birds, insects, geography, even Latin vocabulary could be useful, since Latin roots give you such a leg up on English vocabulary. AND consider the poetry anthologies for a selection of poetry to memorize.
    Amy

DS 13 MP8
    DD 11 MP6
    DS 9 MP4
    DD 6 MP1
    DS 4 R&S Pre-k books
    DS 1

Comment

I would definitely add in the Timeline program. This has been an incredible foundation upon which to hang new information like people, wars, governance, hegemony, and seeds of change.
      Mama to 2

Spring start MP1
      Summer start 5A

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A, SC B, SC C,
      SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

This is great info. Thank you. I thought maybe buying the flash cards would work. I actually love flash cards. That is also why I like MP. I just don’t like how small the print is on the flash cards. Is there a way to purchase the flash card info and print it myself in a larger font?

The oldest two have done a lot of Greek, Roman, Norse myth reading. They have also listened to almost all of the 4 Story of Civilization audios once. The middle child learned all his countries from Stack the Countries when he was barely 4. They are history lovers, like my husband. They read and reread and reread Nathan Hale and Show Me History graphic novels, and watch oversimplified on YouTube a lot. The oldest knows every animal fact ever uttered on Wildkratts.They kind of have a lot of flesh already.

Maybe they don’t even need a memory program. I think I would still like a framework of knowledge though. Sometimes one knows a lot about a topic but the other doesn’t and it would be better to have some standardization to it.

It is easy to teach them academic things, but it isn’t all roses. The brightest two academically are a bear to teach social skills and character.
        Last edited by Jules4; 10-06-2021, 11:15 AM. Reason: I just can’t end a sentence in a preposition.

Comment

The best way to get the info without the flashcards is to buy just a Teacher Manual of the subject you want. There are drill questions in the back. The Timeline Handbook will also have dates and summaries related to those dates with 4 lists of dates grouped by grade (and its related subject, like the Middle Ages, Rome, or Greece).
          Mama to 2

Spring start MP1
          Summer start 5A

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A, SC B, SC C,
          SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

For the younger ones you can buy the digital copies of recitations and those would be easy to use without the rest of the program. We are only in 2nd grade and down so I haven’t used it personally but I feel like the English Grammar Recitation would be good for that as well.
            Rebecca

Boy-2nd
            Boy-1st
            Boy-4yo
            Girl-2yo

Comment

Working...
            X