Transition from Sonlight Language Arts 2 & 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transition from Sonlight Language Arts 2 & 4

I'm happy with the rest of our Sonlight but their language arts isn't too engaging for either kid. I am thinking of switching to MP for next school year (3rd and 5th grades, kids will be 8 and 11.) I'm thinking of transitioning partially MP right away so they will be ready for next year. For example I was thinking the older can start Intro to Composition now to replace some/all of the Sonlight readers and writing assignments. Possibly Grammar Recitation 1. Then for the younger, English Grammar Practice but mainly stay with Sonlight. I'm not sure if Traditional Spelling would be good to start on now, and which levels. I think that might be enough to supplement the parts of Sonlight we don't like and maybe help so MP isn't completely unfamiliar if we fully switch next school year.

Hello.

We would love for you to supplement with some of our books, but I do need to tell you that English Grammar Recitation is written for students of Latin. If you aren't doing Latin, it won't be enough English grammar. You will need a comprehensive English grammar program, and we recommend Rod & Staff grammar. In our curriculum, we spend a lot of time on Latin, and we feel it teaches English grammar better than English, so EGR works well for us as a supplement and to help students make the connection between Latin and English.

If you are doing Latin, ignore everything I just said, and EGR would be a great supplement to your Latin!

Tanya

Comment

Thank you, Tanya. We are doing Prima Latina now, I forgot to add! Is that in depth enough or do they need to be in one of the other Latin programs to go with the grammar?

Comment

Hello!

We combine (somewhat imperfectly!) MP and SL. We love the read alouds and literature from SL so this year we are using HBL A for Bible/History/Science. I have LA 2 and LA K for my second grade boy and kinder girl this year. I sought out MP because I felt we needed more rigor in our LA. After finishing LA 1 with SL, my son was about ready for MP first grade so over the summer we started Storytime Treasures/First Start Reading E/Traditional Spelling I. We are wrapping up FSR E this week and we are well into More Storytime Treasures. I really feel like it adds so much to our studies! My plan is to eventually add Latin and the grammar studies from MP next year (he just doesn't seem ready this year). He is reading the SL second grade readers in the meantime bc he seemed interested in them, and we are using the copywork from SL LA 2 b/c it correlates well. He was really into cursive last year so I thought he would love NAC from MP. He is slowly warming up to it but that seems to be going...okay. I will say over summer we started very slowly taking up to two weeks to do what was scheduled for one week just until we all got the hang of it. I think that helped.

For my kinder girl, I am using mostly MP for her LA--FSR and Letters/Numbers/Morning Work. She tags along for HBL A Bible/History and Science. I have not really pulled any of the SL LA K for her so far but I have that as a back up if we need to slow down MP kinder (which I heard moves quickly).

We do use MP Enrichment (kinder level so we will cycle through all of the K--2 with my daughter). It is really fun, we don't always get to everything but it's nice to have as options when we need something lighter. My kids love the art posters--they don't say much about some but others they really like and want to talk about a lot!

Comment

Thanks for your explanation of what you're doing, dahmdr. That sounds really similar to what I was thinking. We have liked SL HBL and Science mostly, but the LA... not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by cek View Post
            I'm happy with the rest of our Sonlight but their language arts isn't too engaging for either kid. I am thinking of switching to MP for next school year (3rd and 5th grades, kids will be 8 and 11.) I'm thinking of transitioning partially MP right away so they will be ready for next year. For example I was thinking the older can start Intro to Composition now to replace some/all of the Sonlight readers and writing assignments. Possibly Grammar Recitation 1. Then for the younger, English Grammar Practice but mainly stay with Sonlight. I'm not sure if Traditional Spelling would be good to start on now, and which levels. I think that might be enough to supplement the parts of Sonlight we don't like and maybe help so MP isn't completely unfamiliar if we fully switch next school year.
            If you decide to do Intro to Comp, I would definitely remove the SL readers. Intro to Comp specifically ties to Farmer Boy, Charlotte's Web, Paddington, Mr. Popper's Penguins and additionally there is an additional book, the Moffats you could sub for Farmer Boy. There are some supplemental exercises that don't tie to the novels, but I would consider getting the teacher's manuals for 3-4 of the novels + the Intro to Comp and make that be your literature + writing. For grammar, EGR1 pairs well with Latina Christina. If you are doing Prima, you could still do EGR1 + Core skills. I would recommend the spelling for both kids this year as well. Your oldest might need TS 3 (many 4th graders are doing TS3 this year as it is new!)
            Christine

(2021/2022)
            DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, Language Arts with Grandma)
            DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
            DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

Previous Years
            DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
            DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
            DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

Comment

Sorry I disappeared on you! I've been in meetings and HLS classrooms for two days. I do think EGR 1 and Core Skills is fine for your children. But I would recommend that you grab a comprehensive English grammar book and do some of the exercises orally with your 5th grader since Prima Latina just introduces the parts of speech and doesn't really do more than that. I recommend Rod & Staff 5 or 6 for that. You could use it for several years as a resource.

Tanya

Comment

TY howiecram... the older one is tired of the SL readers, so that would work out perfectly. Thanks for the other tips.
                Thanks again, Tanya! I'm thinking of gradually starting to transition to MP so no rush anyway!

Comment

Working...
                X