Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Book of Insects 2nd Ed. and dragonfly question

Hello!
    We are working on lesson 6 which discusses dragonflies. In the student book they are listed as changing by incomplete metamorphosis, but the first edition reader is talking about them having larval and pupal stages. I am confused. The flashcards also list them as incomplete metamorphosis. Can someone point me in the right direction? You would think I would have caught this in the three previous times I have done this study, but no. Haha!

Also, I just noticed there is a brand new second edition of this reader! This will be my last pass through insects. Are there significant enough changes to the reader for me to purchase the second edition, or should I be good to go with the first edition?
    Thanks-
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
    DS 12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
    DD 10th • HLN, Latin online
    DD 7th • HLN & Home
    DS 4th • HLN & Home
    Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

And ...
    The student workbook just answered my question about the nymph stage and the text's use of "larva and pupa." If you can't see me my palm is on my face.

My question about whether or not I need the Second Edition still stands.

Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

DS 12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
    DD 7th • HLN & Home
    DS 4th • HLN & Home

Comment

That whole chapter drove us nuts. I literally took the book and read "nymphs" in place of larva/pupa everywhere it fit. We had a nice discussion about observational science's oft-updating nature.
      Mama to 2

Spring start MP1
      Summer start 5A

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A, SC B, SC C,
      SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

enbateau Your observation about observation is so true! I'm listening to Origin of Species for the first time ever right now and I keep thinking about how important words are and that how we use them (and how they change in nuance and even meaning over time) really, really matters! I'm also re-inspired to play closer attention to all the plants and animals around me. My youngest loves insects. This is a dream year of science for him.
        Festina lentē,
        Jessica P

DD 7th • HLN & Home
        DS 4th • HLN & Home

Comment

Jessica,

We have not made many edits to the science text since it is taken from an old out of print book. So I think you should be fine!

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
            Jessica,

We have not made many edits to the science text since it is taken from an old out of print book. So I think you should be fine!

Tanya
            Thank you! It's on its 4th student so keeping it will be nostalgic.
            Festina lentē,
            Jessica P

DD 7th • HLN & Home
            DS 4th • HLN & Home

Comment

Working...
            X