Re-reading literature novels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-reading literature novels

What do you do when you need to pick literature selections and realize that your kids have already read them all? Multiple times. For example, my girls have each read The Hobbit 4 times, Treasure Island 3 times, and Tom Sawyer and Anne of Green Gables at least twice, maybe more. I'm telling myself that this is an absolutely wonderful problem to have and I should be so glad that they are reaching for great books but it's messing with my perfectly laid plans for the future haha! A great book is a great book and always worth reading again at a deeper level, so with that in mind, would it be a good idea to have them go through these books a 3rd, 4th, 5th time with the lit guides or would you go with alternatives in order to branch out a bit?
    Judith, blessed mama to 6, 6th year homeschooling, 3rd year with MP

Contra Mundum
    Psalm 90:17

DD 11 (SFL, FMMA, R&S 6, Narrative, 6th gr Lit, EGR3)
    DD 10 (SFL, FMMA, R&S 5, Narrative, 6th gr Lit, EGR3)
    DS 7 (PL, R&S 2, EGP, 2 gr Lit)
    DD 6 (PL, R&S 1, FSR)
    DD 4 (Letters & Numbers)
    DD 2 (Family Bookworm!)

Leigh Lowe has said, “read doesn’t mean comprehended and comprehended doesn’t mean contemplated.” My vote would be to have your girls do the literature guides as assigned. I love the way MP has them intertwine with other subjects, work on multiple skills within the guides and push the kids to look a little deeper. I also think the kids may appreciate an easy or familiar subject. Mine often have read their literature books at least once, if not multiple times, before it is assigned. So far no complaints from them about a chance to go reread a favorite novel during the school day. ☺️
    Heidi

For 2021-22
    dd- 6th
    ds- 3rd
    dd- 1st
    ds- adding smiles and distractions

Comment

I agree that working on familiar novels is not a problem, especially if they are well-loved. You could de-emphasize the comprehension questions that deal with plot, while putting more weight on things like the number of essays they write, or working more on poetry. Do look at all of the MP choices, though, and don't limit yourself to what's included in a grade literature package: you may discover new books you'd like them to read instead of doing a repeat - though I know that, with bookworms in the house, the likelihood of something being new is low! But the older they grow, the more choices there are outside the Lit Packages.
      DS (15)
      DD (14)
      DS (7)

Comment

Both of my kids are voracious readers. We would have no home in any curriculum house if we had the litmus test of never having read the book before. Great novels mean different things to you at different ages. Their richness deepens when you have advanced your studies and learned more history, more nuance, more background, and have a larger vocabulary. When you're older, you understand themes that are more mature. These tend to pass you by in an innocent way when you're younger. My 3rd-grader devoured Little Women, reread it twice, then ate up the entire corpus of Louisa May Alcott before she started 4th grade. There is NO WAY she understood everything in those books, especially when it comes to love and romance. She has head knowledge, but no heart knowledge (if you know what I mean). She has also read Jane Austin, which is a bit of a waste at her age, but she loves the books. I have no qualms about sticking her in an MP guide in a few years with any of those novels, and to be honest, she relishes the day when she will get to go through an MP guide with books that are like old friends.

FWIW, there are alternative options coming out seemingly every year! You do have free range to pick from those. I would wait to hear feedback from my student AFTER we completed a lit guide before adjusting further lit guide plans.
        Mama to 2

Spring start MP1
        Summer start 5A

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A, SC B, SC C,
        SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

Another vote to definitely go through the well loved and well worn books, even if read many times over, with the literature guides. Absolutely worth it with the MP guides. There will be new insights into the text that they (and you) will love.
          21/22 - 4th MP Year, Dad & Quadrivium Teacher
          S - 7, 2nd MP @ HLN & Home
          D - 5, K MP @ HLN & Home
          S - 4, Jr K MP @ Home

Comment

My kids have also re-read several selections with the MP guides. My oldest son, who doesn't do a lot of independent reading "for fun," had heard The Hobbit reas aloud by my husband in family evening reading time, but reading it himself last year was delightful, even though he knew the storyline. I can honestly say literature was his favorite part of the day, and I'm certain he got more out of it the second time through. My oldest daughter, who reads much more to herself, had previously read ALL the 6th grade selections (Heidi, Lassie Come-Home, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe) and she complained ahead of time that it would be boring to read them again. Ahem. So I gave her a little talk about getting more meaning out of a book on subsequent readings, and we carried on, both because these are great books, and also because I don't have time or mental bandwidth to customize every part of every kid's curriculum. Once the year started, literature was also her favorite part of the day. She devoured Heidi again in a few days, then worked through the study guide, skimming back through each chapter as necessary. I think she was surprised how much she enjoyed re-reading all of those books. And it was a great lesson for her, since she does read so much, that some books will be worth re-reading multiple times throughout our lives! I've since noticed her re-reading other favorite books, as though she is realizing it's just as enjoyable to re-visit an old friend as it is to find a new one!
            Amy

DS 13 MP8
            DD 11 MP6
            DS 9 MP4
            DD 6 MP1
            DS 4 R&S Pre-k books
            DS 1

Comment

Oh! Also...when I, as the teacher, bring interest and enthusiasm to our time spent on the study guide discussion questions or on making comprehension question answers better, that definitely lights up the experience of re-reading books at a deeper level. And I have given my daughter some of the other literature selections to study after she completes the ones in the curriculum package.
              Amy

DS 13 MP8
              DD 11 MP6
              DS 9 MP4
              DD 6 MP1
              DS 4 R&S Pre-k books
              DS 1

Comment

I wish I had this problem! My oldest two are dyslexic (and more) and anything to do with literature studies is a s-t-r-u-g-g-l-e. I think it would be wonderful to already be in love with the books before being guided to learn more with the literature guide. It can rather kill a book to have to analyse and work on it, first pass through. (One day I will be able to face Tess of the D'Urbevilles again and find out why we had to read it at school!)

Comment

Originally posted by VAmom View Post
                  Leigh Lowe has said, “read doesn’t mean comprehended and comprehended doesn’t mean contemplated.” My vote would be to have your girls do the literature guides as assigned. I love the way MP has them intertwine with other subjects, work on multiple skills within the guides and push the kids to look a little deeper. I also think the kids may appreciate an easy or familiar subject. Mine often have read their literature books at least once, if not multiple times, before it is assigned. So far no complaints from them about a chance to go reread a favorite novel during the school day. ☺️
                  I ADORED this quote this summer. We need it on a sticker.

I think when a student has a familiarity with a book, it helps them to relax, gain confidence and move more toward the contemplative end of the spectrum. Leigh also mentioned this summer how the books are also plotted around a theme. Farmer Boy, et al are focused on family, while some of the other books are centered around others like adventures, setting out from home, etc.

And honestly, when I teach a book for multiple years/children, I begin to see more things myself. (like finally recognizing the connection between Turkish Delight and sin.)

Another vote for carrying on as planned. If she wants to branch out, she can always read different selections for fun.
                  Plans for 2021-22

Year 11 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 26 - Small Business owner with 2 locations
                  DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy/Vita Beata - equestrian
                  DS3 - 13 -6A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
                  DS4 - 13 - 6A Cottage School -soccer -auditory processing disorder
                  DD5 - 9 - 4A, Cottage School/MPOA -equestrian
                  DS6 - 7 - MPK - first time at the Cottage School this fall!

Comment

Working...
                  X