Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MarmeeLaura
    replied
    Thank you for this thread! It was a lesson we also initially skipped, but my daughter was intrigued once we reached the review portion of the chapter. It is a nifty thing to do and today was the first time in years I heard her say, "Wow! I really enjoyed math today!"

Leave a comment:

• VAmom
    replied
    Dorinda and Christine,

Thanks for sharing your experiences! As my daughter asked me if she solved a problem correctly, it occurred that teaching this method could empower her to know whether she did or not. I may give it a shot and see what happens.

Heidi

Leave a comment:

• Mom2mthj
    replied
    Right start calls it check numbers, but it is the same thing. I personally like it because it is cool how it works and it can be very helpful for checking multi digit work. As Christine said, it is much faster than other methods for checking longer problems. It also seems like a nifty thing for eliminating answers on a standardized test if you do those. My guess was it was skipped because someone didn’t understand how it worked or what it could do. I like it and we use it frequent, but it isn’t the end of the world if you miss it.

Leave a comment:

• howiecram
    replied
    We just did this! I noticed it was eliminated from the plans and remember several families (maybe before it was eliminated?) saying that particular thing was odd and most people just skipped it. I had planned to skip it, but my daughter thought it looked interesting and so did I. We worked through the process and actually enjoyed it, so we are using it. We also find casting out 9s to be a much faster process than redoing the problem (inversely), so we are enjoying using that "skill" to check the answers.

Leave a comment:

• VAmom
    started a topic Casting Out Nines

Casting Out Nines

Lesson 17 of the 6th R&S teaches how to cast out the nines. The curriculum manual skips this lesson. Has anyone taught this or use it personally? I’d never heard of it before.
Working...
X