Casting Out Nines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Casting Out Nines

Lesson 17 of the 6th R&S teaches how to cast out the nines. The curriculum manual skips this lesson. Has anyone taught this or use it personally? I’d never heard of it before.
    Heidi

For 2021-22
    dd- 6th
    ds- 3rd
    dd- 1st
    ds- adding smiles and distractions

We just did this! I noticed it was eliminated from the plans and remember several families (maybe before it was eliminated?) saying that particular thing was odd and most people just skipped it. I had planned to skip it, but my daughter thought it looked interesting and so did I. We worked through the process and actually enjoyed it, so we are using it. We also find casting out 9s to be a much faster process than redoing the problem (inversely), so we are enjoying using that "skill" to check the answers.
    Christine

(2021/2022)
    DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, Language Arts with Grandma)
    DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
    DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

Comment

Right start calls it check numbers, but it is the same thing. I personally like it because it is cool how it works and it can be very helpful for checking multi digit work. As Christine said, it is much faster than other methods for checking longer problems. It also seems like a nifty thing for eliminating answers on a standardized test if you do those. My guess was it was skipped because someone didn’t understand how it worked or what it could do. I like it and we use it frequent, but it isn’t the end of the world if you miss it.
      Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
      15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
      DD College Freshman
      DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
      DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
      DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

Dorinda and Christine,

Thanks for sharing your experiences! As my daughter asked me if she solved a problem correctly, it occurred that teaching this method could empower her to know whether she did or not. I may give it a shot and see what happens.

Heidi
        Heidi

For 2021-22
        dd- 6th
        ds- 3rd
        dd- 1st
        ds- adding smiles and distractions

Comment

Thank you for this thread! It was a lesson we also initially skipped, but my daughter was intrigued once we reached the review portion of the chapter. It is a nifty thing to do and today was the first time in years I heard her say, "Wow! I really enjoyed math today!"
          Laura H.

DD: 15, special-needs: language processing issues (modified 7/8M Core), aspiring illustrator, our "Meg"
          DD: 13 (8M with SFL & NBO Fall 2021), aspiring pediatric nurse, our "Jo"
          DD: 8 (SC4 Fall 2021) our "Beth"
          DD: 8 (SC4 Fall 2021) our "Amy"

Comment

Working...
          X