Reading/Discussion questions 2nd grade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading/Discussion questions 2nd grade

Help! Ok after 2021 Sodalitas, I realized I was way too tough on my first grader, having her syllabicate and define as well as answer ALL the questions for STT/More STT. We are now in 2nd grade, and I’ve adopted the approach of only having her write definitions for words she can’t verbally define/offer synonym(or antonym)/use in sentence, and I choose about half the comprehension questions for her to write answers to, verbally discussing those that remain. BUT…what about those discussion questions?? We are finishing Prairie School; the guide suggests having the students compose a 2-3 sentence answer to at least one of the discussion questions for EACH chapter - this still seems like a lot…anyone? My daughter is bright and an excellent reader, and does well with comprehension, but as a second grader she is very stressed about composing answers to these questions. It seems like I have to spoon-food “good” sentences for her to copy- she understands and can answer the questions “roughly,” but not in a neat/formal way. Is this normal, are we doing too much with a discussion question for EVERY chapter, are we behind with regard to sentence/paragraph composition…???
    I know we are both stressed, and I just don’t want to push her too hard, or make her dread doing the reading work.
    Thanks,
    Megan K
    3 daughters: MP 2nd, MP 1st, 4yo (just hanging out)

We did not do a 2- to 3-sentence composition for every chapter. Toward the end, there was some practice answering multiple questions, and we did do that, but sometimes we combined answers into one cogent sentence.

One of my favorite tricks for getting kids to answer in complete sentences is to ask who or what we are talking about in the question, then say, "Start with that person's or thing's name." Even if it's awkward and not a simple pronoun, let the sentence she comes up with be written on the board. Ask if there is a simpler way to say it and edit it together.

Model with an example:
    Where is your sister?
    In her room.
    Who are talking about?
    Olivia.
    Give a complete sentence answering where she is starting with her name.
    Olivia is in her room.
    We could also say that she is in her room.
    Try modeling simple, local examples and see if it primes her mind for answering a lit guide question. It doesn't need to match the TM answers. It just needs to answer the question. If you rewrite and rephrase every single answer she has, it might be discouraging her. Let as many good answers stand as possible. Lavish praise on good penmanship and excellent grammar. Scented stamps and stickers are still enjoyed at this age.
    Mama to 2

Spring start MP1
    Summer start 5A

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A, SC B, SC C,
    SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

Hmm, I've done Prairie School 3x and somehow missed this writing 2-3 sentences per chapter! . I love enbateau's guidance. I would also offer that if you choose to do it sometimes, another way to do those 2-3 sentences is the same way you model the comprehension questions. In the 2-3 sentences you are basically summarizing the chapter. Ask her to tell you what happened. Write a few things down and then use some of those "notes" to write the sentences.

And enbateau's is right on the money that your child's answer does not have to look like the TM answer. Those answers are provided in the way they are given to give you, the teacher, in case you haven't read the book yourself. Use the child's answer, if it is correct!
      Christine

(2021/2022)
      DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, Language Arts with Grandma)
      DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
      DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

Previous Years
      DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
      DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

Comment

Thanks to both of you for the feedback, and we actually do those things mentioned, it’s just that by the time we have done a few comprehension questions, and then throw in one of the discussion questions with a longer/more thoughtful answer, it becomes stressful. It sounds like neither of you were having your children answer (write out) discussion questions for every chapter. I’m trying to remember where I read this - fairly certain it was in the guidelines at the front of the Prairie School teacher guide, if not there then in the 2nd grade curriculum guide/Reading guidelines. My child is a bit of a perfectionist, and she’s quickly frustrated if she doesn’t know right off how to form a well-written answer. So while I don’t want to stress her, I also want her to try it on her own, you know? Doing it together goes well enough, I’ve modeled the approach of jotting down a few points and using those to write a few sentences. It’s when I ask her to do that independently (even if I’m sitting right beside her), we end up frustrated and stalled, and she’s essentially waiting on me to tell her what to write. So it’s not that she can’t substitute pronouns or write a complete sentence, it’s more about composing an answer/opinion and using points from the story to support it. Perhaps we should move to just answering orally? Or maybe it’s not a big deal for me to be weighing in/assisting her so much as this age/stage?

Comment

Agreed with enbateau and howiecram. That's how we went through Prarie School the last four weeks. My oldest is all about summarizing into short, succinct yet correct sentences.
          21/22 - 4th MP Year, Dad & Quadrivium Teacher
          S - 7, 2nd MP @ HLN & Home
          D - 5, K MP @ HLN & Home
          S - 4, Jr K MP @ Home

Comment

Originally posted by MegK1985 View Post
            It’s when I ask her to do that independently (even if I’m sitting right beside her), we end up frustrated and stalled, and she’s essentially waiting on me to tell her what to write. So it’s not that she can’t substitute pronouns or write a complete sentence, it’s more about composing an answer/opinion and using points from the story to support it. Perhaps we should move to just answering orally? Or maybe it’s not a big deal for me to be weighing in/assisting her so much as this age/stage?
            She’s showing you where her independent, instructional, and frustration levels are. The ability to independently write a response with supporting points is a late-elementary/early middle school skill. It needs to be modeled in small steps until that point — or until she says, “Oh, Mom, I know how to do this myself!”

From what I know of HLS’ approach, I highly doubt teachers are assigning these as independent work. Perhaps the TM or CM needs clarification about this…@tanya?

That being said, especially if she’s coming off of a tough first grade year, I would do the discussion questions orally. Just keep in mind that you don’t have to do more than one, even if doing orally, and that answers at this age will likely be one sentence long. That’s completely age-appropriate.

In second grade, we’re simply planting seeds for deeper thought. We won’t see the sprout for a few more years. The blossoms won’t come until even later.
            Jennifer
            Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2021-2022
            DS18: Almost done!
            DS17: MP, MPOA
            DS15: MP, MPOA
            DS12: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
            DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
            DD9: SC3
            DD6: MPK

Comment

Thanks Jen, that all makes a lot of sense! I double checked (to make sure I wasn’t crazy!), and the Prairie School lit guide does indicate that at least once discussion question from the enrichment section should be completed each week (which corresponds to each chapter), with an emphasis/goal of composition. So maybe I took that too literally…at any rate, we are going to back off and work through them orally, maybe we will shoot for answering in written form *together* every 2 weeks (the guide does emphasize together, however the example given was to let child dictate while I copy, and this is where we sometimes gave difficulty - again, I think I was pushing her too much). I sure appreciate all the feedback, it’s so helpful and reassuring. Everyone have a fabulous weekend! 😉
              Megan

Comment

Working...
              X