Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good list of reading books by reading level?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good list of reading books by reading level?

Long, long ago I had a few go-to lists of good children's list roughly sorted by difficulty. Fast-forward and I think my google-fu is broken because I'm only finding lists of really awful children's books, mostly modern drivel like Junie B Jones, books with show/toy tie-ins, etc. Help!! I have a 6 yo with a voracious appetite and has read nearly every good easy-reader in the library plus the dozens we had on our book shelves. She easily reads 12+ books per week, and I can't keep up, but I don't want to just give her twaddle and fluff, as Charlotte would have said. I need lists of books to search for on interlibrary loan to keep her sated, and I'm out of ideas, having already looked up every book on every good lit-rich curriculum known to man. (She's still happily reading slowly through Little Bear with her MP study guide thank goodness, but she likes to have lots of books to read "fast" and just for fun outside of school).

Hi,

We have enjoyed just about any book by Cynthia Rylant. I have heard good things about the Mercy Watson series by Kate DiCamillo. There are also the Nate the Great books although those might be more boyish. Hope that helps!

Comment

I love almost all the books from Ambleside Online. If you scroll to the bottom of each year (year one here: https://www.amblesideonline.org/ao-y1-bks) there is a section titled "Additional Books for Free Reading" and since there is a list for each year, it's roughly broken up by ability level (year 1 is grade 1). In the middle-ish grades they have it further delineated for kids who are, say, on grade level in grade 4 and kids who are needing more challenging but still good books. Hope that helps!
      ps Sophie Mouse books are excellent for a first grade girl!!!! Not on the list but sweet books and very pro-family
      Emily…a hunter who prefers coffee to chocolate and dreams of the mountains

Beech Tree Boarding School, 2021-2022
      DD (age 10): MP 5
      DD (age 8): MP 2
      DS (age 5): MP K
      "Maybe stalking the woods is as vital to the human condition as making music or putting words to paper. Maybe hunting has as much of a claim on our civilized selves as anything else.” Steven Rinella

Comment

In the Beginner Reader "chapter" books, we are a fan of Arnold Lobel books like Grasshopper*, Small Pig, Uncle Elephant, Owl at Home, Mouse Soup, Adventures with Frog and Toad, Frog and Toad All Year, other Little Bear books, anything related to historical fiction like Josefina Story Quilt, Wagon Wheels, Clara and the Bookwagon, Long Journey Westward, Dust for Dinner*, Daniel's Duck, and Hill of Fire. My MP1er has taken on The Secret Valley, Riding the Pony Express and Viking Adventure. We enjoyed more modern stories like Greg's Microscope, Tornado* & Amelia Bedelia. My little guy likes and has read all of the Mr. Putter and Tabby series. He also likes Henry and Mudge, and he recently started a few Cam Jansen (David Adler readers). Those last three series are not amazing, but they cycle through important vocab and offer some comedy of errors or sleuthing.

The stuff with asterisks has content or language that may need to be discussed. Characters don't always do the right thing, and there are no consequences.

We tried the Classic readers SC offers. They are wonderful, too, but your child might need help with the syllabication of all the names.
        Mama to 2

Spring start MP1
        Summer start 5A

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A, SC B, SC C,
        SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

Another fun series by Cynthia Rylant is the "Poppleton" series.

One intriguing book list online is "The Thousand Good Books" compiled by John Senior: John Senior and "The Thousand Good Books" - Online Great Books

And a more recently published resource of book lists for children is "Before Austen Comes Aesop" by Cheri Blomquist.

Happy book hunting -- and reading!

Laura H.
          Laura H.

DD: 15, special-needs: language processing issues (modified 7/8M Core), aspiring illustrator, our "Meg"
          DD: 13 (8M with SFL & NBO Fall 2021), aspiring pediatric nurse, our "Jo"
          DD: 8 (SC4 Fall 2021) our "Beth"
          DD: 8 (SC4 Fall 2021) our "Amy"

Comment

Not by reading level, but in case you have not seen these, here are three book lists for your reference from MP. Martin Cothran's book list for boys, girls and then a master, combined list. Not sure if these are the most up to date or not. See attached files below.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Beorn; 09-10-2021, 10:28 AM.
            21/22 - 4th MP Year, Dad & Quadrivium Teacher
            S - 7, 2nd MP @ HLN & Home
            D - 5, K MP @ HLN & Home
            S - 4, Jr K MP @ Home

Comment

Here is another Supplemental Reading List MP & HLS use for recommended summer reading: https://www.memoriapress.com/wp-cont...ding-Lists.pdf

Comment

And in case you didn't catch the pattern, many of the Jr. K read-alouds become excellent beginning readers. We read Mr. Pine's Purple House, Andy and the Lion, Home for a Bunny, Runaway Bunny, Chester's Way and more. I was glad we hadn't sold these yet as they made great beginning readers during or after MPK. The Nat Geo readers were a hit up to level 1. The level 2 books proved a little more frustrating, so feel free to do 2 to 4 pages in a sitting until the new vocabulary starts repeating.
                Mama to 2

Spring start MP1
                Summer start 5A

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A, SC B, SC C,
                SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica.O View Post
                  Here is another Supplemental Reading List MP & HLS use for recommended summer reading: https://www.memoriapress.com/wp-cont...ding-Lists.pdf
                  Thank you for this, Jessica.O!
                  21/22 - 4th MP Year, Dad & Quadrivium Teacher
                  S - 7, 2nd MP @ HLN & Home
                  D - 5, K MP @ HLN & Home
                  S - 4, Jr K MP @ Home

Comment

Working...
                  X