Egr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Egr

I’m doing EGR 2 with my 5th grader this year for the first time. She’s also in Second Form Latin and finished the four First Language Lessons for the Well Trained Mind levels so she has a good background in English grammar, which is why we are skipping EGR 1.

Maybe this sounds silly, but how do you recite the grammar questions and answers? In particular, incorporating the examples, or not? They feel so clunky to recite with meaning. Also, for the other parts (like capitalization rules), do you learn them as “#1…”, or just a long list? We’ve memorized long lists of grammar concepts in First Language Lessons, but trying to adapt to a new system still feels confusing. Thanks!
    Carrie
    Mom of 5 in Tennessee

2021-2022
    3rd or 5th year homeschooling - slowly transitioning to more MP
    5th grade girl
    3rd grade boy
    K girl
    Littles running wild

I am not confident we follow all of the recitation rules of EGR correctly but I’ll share how we do it anyway. ☺️ When we review the capitalization and punctuation rules we just go down the list without say #1, #2, etc. Since we started with EGR 1, we slowly developed a chant-like cadence for those rules. It helps us keep an upbeat pacing. For the questions and answers portion, we say whatever is written with the answer. If it says “give examples,” we include that. However, my kids will change the example to a favorite animal or to be humorous to our family in some way, such as “Mama gave John that cookie.” If it doesn’t say to include examples we don’t include them. I am sure it is tough to come in on the second book with the unfamiliar recitation, especially during the review portion for the first few weeks. I am confident with a little time you and your daughter will develop your own pacing that works well for you.
    Heidi

For 2021-22
    dd- 6th
    ds- 3rd
    dd- 1st
    ds- adding smiles and distractions

Comment

It probably varies a little for our teachers too, but generally, the teacher asks the question, and the students recite the answers for the asterisked rules that students have to memorize. And they do have to memorize the examples as well as the answers to the rules, so all of this is recited. For new students coming in, we allow them to read the recitation since we know they can't memorize it all immediately. For the rules students don't have to memorize (all the unasterisked ones), we just read them aloud together regularly to keep them in their heads.

Tanya

Comment

Thanks! The only review questions that are unfamiliar really are the types of nouns - so it isn’t hard - we just haven’t found our rhythm yet. Since it’s just the two of us, I’m going to try to make the examples a little more fun whenever she’s in the mood to be silly.
        Carrie
        Mom of 5 in Tennessee

2021-2022
        3rd or 5th year homeschooling - slowly transitioning to more MP
        5th grade girl
        3rd grade boy
        K girl
        Littles running wild

Comment

For capitalization rules 1-10, we have memorized the first letter of each concept that triggers memory of the rule. We say, "1st, God, family, TCC, TLQP." The first 3 are obvious, but the following are:
          1st
          God
          Family

Titles of books...
          Calendar
          Compass

Titles of persons
          Letters
          Quotes
          Proper Nouns & Adjectives

Knowing the question number isn't important for any of them.

You can create funny examples that are memorable when the concept is tricky. For past and present participles (adjectives formed from a verb plus -ed or -ing), my kids love the example: The angered police officer pulled over the speeding motorist. She also remembers the one about the conquering Gauls and alternately the conquered Gauls, but both examples clue her in to identify these as we meet them.

The nice thing about the answers being in complete sentences is that they don't need a question to provoke the answer. If I remember that nouns can be common or proper, concrete or abstract, compound or collective, then I can scroll back through my pairs to cue the examples and definitions of those. A lot of the definitions are opposites (irregular verbs do NOT form their past tense or past participle by adding -d or -ed to the dictionary form of the verb). EGR II was not as hard for this reason.
          Mama to 2

Spring start MP1
          Summer start 5A

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A, SC B, SC C,
          SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

Working...
          X