Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CarrieAnne
    replied
    I make a spreadsheet for my 3rd and 5th grader a lot like Amy. It allows me to customize for the different curriculums we use (separate math, spelling, etc), and to put subjects on the days of the week that work for us. (We all like cramming tests on Fridays; this year we spent lots of time out of the house one day so I have shifted that to an lighter day of independent work on-the-go). I try very hard to fit a week in each week, cutting things when I need to save a day, but only where that works for me. I also make it clear where in each subject a kid needs to stop and wait for me, and everyone knows approximately when they get Mom during the day. It keeps my time efficient. My kindergartener doesn’t have any idea what her schedule is - I hold the curriculum manual, and make notes for myself all over as to where we are in different subjects.

Leave a comment:

• smithamykat
    replied
    Slightly different perspective here. I do stick very closely to the scheduled work in the curriculum manuals. I use them to plan a whole week ahead. I make a master spreadsheet for myself, which shows what everyone is doing each day. Then, for my older 3 kids (8th, 6th, 4th), I make them a single page spreadsheet that shows them what's assigned for the whole week. I prefer this over handing them the CM because I use a different math and also include art and music. It's useful for them to see everything on one page. They know to work down the column for the day, doing what they can independently, and I will move from one to another for teaching. In my weekly planning session, I look ahead and make decisions such as how to squish things around a holiday. I may combine Monday and Tuesday's work, leave something out, or bump some things to the following week. Please do take some holidays; you and your kids will be happier :-)

I will try to paste here an example of the weekly spreadsheet for my oldest kid. This is an example from the first week of last year, when we started the Tuesday after Labor Day.
    Week 1: 9/8-9/11
    Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday
    Math
    Lesson 1
    Math
    Lesson 2
    Math
    Lesson 3
    Math
    Lesson 4
    Spelling
    Lesson 1
    Write words 1x
    Lesson pp. 1-3
    Spelling
    Lesson 1
    Write words 1x
    Lesson p. 4
    Spelling
    Lesson 1
    Pretest
    Spelling
    Lesson 1
    Test
    Grammar
    Review Cap. Rules 1-10
    Grammar
    Review Cap. Rules 1-10
    Dictation Rules 1-5
    Grammar
    Review Cap. Rules 1-10
    Dictation Rules 6-10
    Grammar
    Review Cap. Rules 1-10
    Dictation Rule 10 a-k
    Practices A-D
    Dictation quiz
    Core Skills pp. 45-46
    Handwriting (2 lines) Handwriting Handwriting Handwriting
    Literature
    Trojan War
    Table of Chief Characters
    Introduction
    Prologue: Ch. 1 The Golden Apple (read & study guide)
    Literature
    Trojan War
    Prologue: Ch. 2 Helen (read & study guide)
    Literature
    Trojan War
    Prologue: Ch. 3 The Madness of Odysseus (read & study guide)
    Literature
    Trojan War
    Prologue: Ch. 4 The Discovery of Achilles (read & study guide)
    Latin
    First Form Review
    Translation Checklist
    Parsing Guidelines
    Latin
    First Form Review
    Unit I Review
    Worksheet 1
    Flashcards
    Latin
    First Form Review
    Unit I Review
    Worksheet 2
    Flashcards
    Latin
    First Form Review
    Unit I Review
    Worksheet 3
    Flashcards
    Composition
    Fable review lesson
    Composition
    Fable review lesson
    Composition
    Fable review lesson
    Typing
    Classical
    Famous Men of Greece
    Lessons 1&2
    Geography flashcards
    US History
    Guerber: read chs. 1-3
    200 Questions: Drill Questions 1-3, Timeline 1
    Science
    Book of Trees
    Read ch. 1 pp. 5-7
    Study guide Lesson 1
    Christian Studies
    Lesson 1
    Drill Qu. Genesis 1-10
    Art Art Music
    Music Appreciation
    Lesson 1
    Music
    Violin lesson

Leave a comment:

• jen1134
    replied
    Originally posted by Searching View Post
    I do prefer the format for the separate lesson plans because they are more the "do the next thing" and feel easier to follow. I am less lost than looking through the list with multiple subjects in the CM.
    That works! To keep things streamlined for you, you can use those PDF's the same way as the CM video above. The PDFs can be put in a tabbed binder that has a clear sleeve on the front (or a page protector on the inside). That sleeve holds a list of days (Day 1, Day 2, etc) and the tabs they need to turn to each day. Then they can turn to the first tab on the list, see what's highlighted, and start their day. When they finish a tab for the day, a wet-erase marker works great to mark it off the page-protector list.

This takes some modeling/coaching to get going, but it beats rewriting plans every week!

Leave a comment:

• Searching
    replied
    This is all helpful. Thank you. With my personality type, covering up the days of the week would actually be a big help 😂 I may try to let them use the curriculum manuals. That would be a huge timesaver.

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
    Loops definitely work with MP. They would be great for classical studies, science, geography, copybook, poetry, timeline, etc.

The downloads section of your MP account will have the individual lesson plans for these. You can print them out, put in a binder, and just turn to the one you're doing that day.
    I do not have these downloads! The only lesson plan downloads I have are for my substitutions. I'm going to request the lesson plan downloads. It has also been difficult going between the curriculum manuals and the separate printouts for our substitutions (writing for both kids and Latin and science for one). I do prefer the format for the separate lesson plans because they are more the "do the next thing" and feel easier to follow. I am less lost than looking through the list with multiple subjects in the CM.

I found some wider magazine racks, so the books are nicely sorted on the shelf.

Leave a comment:

• jen1134
    replied
    Adding:

Many families, including ours, use the CM as a consumable for their older children. After teaching a lesson, I just highlight the related assignment(s) they will do until our next meeting. They check off as they go and then I know what work to review with them when we meet again.

(I often block my teaching. For example, I'll meet with them twice a week for literature, discussing the Facts to Know and Vocabulary for two or three chapters, and maybe doing some reading aloud. Then they do the related assignments the other days. When we meet again, we can review the work they did, study previous vocabulary, discuss a bit, and then prep the next chapters.)

Leave a comment:

• Fireweed Prep
    replied
    MP is a lot to adjust to. It's totally fine to do a Monday on a Wednesday, a Friday on a Tuesday, etc. Some families just white out the days entirely and write in "day 1" "day 2" etc. And you can draw up a loop scheduled based on that...so day 1 would be Classical studies, day 2 would be geography plus review classical studies, etc. I also don't go straight down the day, nor do I do the exact schedule suggested in the beginning of the guide, nor do I do all of Child A's teaching followed by all of Child B's etc.

So for example for math, I've blocked off a full hour. I start with the eldest child's math, and she does her drill sheet while I look over the lesson, we do some oral warm up drill, I briefly cover the contents of the lesson (I definitely don't teach the entirety of the R&S grade 5 lesson!!!), and then she takes the assigned work to the desk. At that point, I start with the second child (who has been doing her daily Math Drill while I teach the older one). Her lesson takes a lot longer and it involves flashcards and I do pretty much all of the lesson per the instructor guide. Then she sits at at desk to do her workbook while I do math with the youngest, and of course we do all of his together. At that point, the oldest one *should* be done with her math and we move on to her grammar and her composition, while the younger two finish their work and then go off and play. If the oldest hasn't finished her math, she gets that as homework.

I highlight what we don't get to that week, usually it's an enrichment thing for the younger two or a "block" rotating subject for the older one, and I then try to get it done on Saturday if we are in town, or a day when swim is cancelled for thunderstorms, etc.

Hope that helps!

Leave a comment:

• jen1134
    replied
    Loops definitely work with MP. They would be great for classical studies, science, geography, copybook, poetry, timeline, etc.

The downloads section of your MP account will have the individual lesson plans for these. You can print them out, put in a binder, and just turn to the one you're doing that day.

Another option is to make one day a week your "content day." Maybe your 4th grader's day is Monday and your 7th grader's day is Wednesday. Or, if they're combined in any of the content subjects, you can just have a single "together day."

I have a 7th grader but because of some special needs he is closer to/at the same academic level as some of his younger siblings. Because of this, I currently combine ages 6-12 for Christian Studies (read/discuss), states & capitals, MP nature studies (also read/discuss); and then ages 11 and 12 are combined for classical studies and music appreciation. This "together day" is on Mondays and it gives a nice start to the week.

We do the rest of our work the other four days, just doing the next thing and ignoring the weeks and days. And that's essential: ignore the days, just do the next thing. We're nurturing human beings and their needs don't often follow a schedule!

Some people actually cover the day labels with marker or white-out. I'm linking to a video that shows how I use the CM. The example is with the Kindergarten manual but it's the exact same thing for the older grades.

For streamlining books: we keep our daily books in a bin for each child and my teacher books are in another bin for that child or age range. When I work with a particular child, they pull out their bin and I pull out the matching bin and we're set. We take out one book at a time, do our thing, put it back, repeat. Another mom recommended the Multi-purpose Bins from the Container Store and we've used them for five years now!

HTH!

Leave a comment:

• Searching
    started a topic Making a Schedule

Making a Schedule

I would like to type up a schedule for each child for the week. The past (first) two weeks, I have made a list for them each day, but would like to save time by doing this weekly. Does anyone have a method or format or template perhaps that works for them?

I'm not enjoying the curriculum scheduling. This week having a holiday, it is difficult for me to adjust with the 5 day week schedule. Previously, I operated with a loop schedule for my non-daily subjects, and I seemed to get everything done on time. I'm not sure how to integrate that with MP. I fear that I'll get terribly mixed up and behind if I don't exactly follow the manual. So today, I didn't want to take a holiday because that means I'll be doing Monday's work on Tuesday, Tuesday's on Wednesday, etc. Any tips for working with this or is it just recommended to follow the given schedule?

I thought moving to one publisher would streamline my day, but I still feel I'm frantically flipping between books and subjects and never sure what to do. It seems like I should have a better handle on this in 2 weeks.
Working...
X