Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mom2mthj
    replied
    Sorry I think I was on the wrong page and replied to old stuff. Best luck with your new workbook.

Leave a comment:

• Mom2mthj
    replied
    I am not sure where I am in the list of people recommending the second form workbook update. My older three used the first edition and I thought it was good (it was), but my youngest is using the second edition of FFL this year and it very much exceeded my expectations. I like the idea of starting over or at the very least quizzes until you find the problem. A long break after unit 1 really isn’t ideal. I think a good foundation is best, and if you don’t totally finish second form MPOA has offered 5 week or so summer review classes in the past. If you do have some time, your own first form workbook to work through are worth it to figure out what is going on in Latin.

I would have skipped the new workbook if I had to get rid of my Mr. Moore videos. We 💗 him around here and I wish he had recorded third form as well.

Leave a comment:

• wycheck
    replied
    Thanks, momgineer. We used a different Latin program with my son in the early years, so I'm not as familiar with LC. From my perspective, I like the pace of LC because FFL really starts picking up. I, in hindsight, was wishing that I had LC under my belt before going on to FFL. Since I haven't studied Latin and the way I was taught French was really different I am trying to find the balance of a doable school day and touching on all of the Latin drills and worksheets each day. Probably my engineering brain. MSEE here married to MSME/MBA. I'm sure you can relate!

Leave a comment:

• momgineer
    replied
    Originally posted by wycheck View Post
    No, I'm not Tanya. Thanks for the ideas! Do you think 1st and 2nd editions are substantially different for LC? Are the videos the same?
    LC is actually in fourth edition. It is not set up to be like the Forms. With LC you have the student book for very basic Intro Latin, but for more practice you can add in the review sheets and games book. The review sheets are nice because they give much more practice each week that includes all the stuff they have learned up to that point. The games book has crosswords and seek and finds and things like that. Keep in mind that LC is an intro course and not a mastery course. Everything in LC will be retaught as if they don’t know it in the Forms. So in each Forms book, it is imperative to master the material each lesson. With LC, it will be taught again so whatever they learn/remember just makes First Form easier but isn’t necessary. That knowledge might help take some pressure off the LC student.

Leave a comment:

• wycheck
    replied
    No, I'm not Tanya. Thanks for the ideas! Do you think 1st and 2nd editions are substantially different for LC? Are the videos the same?

Leave a comment:

• tanya
    replied
    Hello.

For LC, you could add the Latina Christiana Review Worksheets. That is two pages of extra reinforcement every week. Also, Ludere is a fun games book that will provide further review. Are you using these resources?

Tanya

Leave a comment:

• wycheck
    replied
    Hello again. We are starting over with SFL, 2nd ed. for my son. My daughter has just reached Lesson 13 (adjectives) in Latina Christiana. I'm wondering if the second edition might be more helpful here, also. I appreciate the short assignments in LC, but I feel that she doesn't get much practice. I have more comments about the video lessons for LC, but perhaps that should be in a separate thread.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Christianson
    replied
    Originally posted by enbateau View Post
    It sounds like you're on the right path.

Ha! And to correct a typo, the genitive nouns usually go before the noun they modify, not after. Poor Mr. Christianson. It would have looked like I quoted him wrong, and I would not like to do that!

My only extra thought would be that Lesson IX, Drill A (p.65) deserves a note on parsing since students have never encountered this in FFL or SFL. It is left to the Teacher Key for parents to decipher that (unlike personal pronouns, which get parsed with PNC--person, number, case) the PPA's get parsed with PGNC, and the person (P) is the person AND number of the pronoun itself (its antecedent), while the gender, number and case will match the nouns they modify. Bullet 4 in the SFL student text made it seem like we'd be largely ignoring the antecedent to focus on the noun the PPA modified. There is also no note for the student to be warned that parsing will be changed from PNC to PGNC. *There is a note on parsing personal pronouns (L. 7, Worksheet 4, VI. Translation Exercises, p. 55). Something like that would be helpful for teachers and students when switching to PPA's.
    Speaking of typos, I think the SFL text is wrong on this one. My understanding is that genitives typically do follow the noun they modify! At least classically speaking, that certainly is the norm for the possessive genitive; it varies for other uses of the genitive, but the guidance in SFL specifically mentions the possessive... I'll dig around and see if there's a reason it says this (perhaps there's some post-classical convention with which I am unfamiliar), but this may require a fix.

The parsing of PPAs definitely needs a dash of clarity. I'll see to it.

Leave a comment:

• enbateau
    replied
    It sounds like you're on the right path.

Ha! And to correct a typo, the genitive nouns usually go before the noun they modify, not after. Poor Mr. Christianson. It would have looked like I quoted him wrong, and I would not like to do that!

My only extra thought would be that Lesson IX, Drill A (p.65) deserves a note on parsing since students have never encountered this in FFL or SFL. It is left to the Teacher Key for parents to decipher that (unlike personal pronouns, which get parsed with PNC--person, number, case) the PPA's get parsed with PGNC, and the person (P) is the person AND number of the pronoun itself (its antecedent), while the gender, number and case will match the nouns they modify. Bullet 4 in the SFL student text made it seem like we'd be largely ignoring the antecedent to focus on the noun the PPA modified. There is also no note for the student to be warned that parsing will be changed from PNC to PGNC. *There is a note on parsing personal pronouns (L. 7, Worksheet 4, VI. Translation Exercises, p. 55). Something like that would be helpful for teachers and students when switching to PPA's.

Leave a comment:

• tanya
    replied
    Hello.

The download to the quizzes comes when you purchase the quiz book. This is so you can make clean copies of them.

We have no plans to make a new edition of the Forms texts. The content and the order in which we teach it should remain the same.

Tanya

Leave a comment:

• howiecram
    replied
    Which came as a download? Did they come as part of the adult class?

Also, do you know if the pronunciation CD is substantially different from the first ed. since the text is the same? Thank you.
    The test/quiz booklet I have as a download. (I actually have printed it a few times and I use them for review). It did not come with the adult class for sure, but I don't know "which" item I bought from FFL that included the test/quiz as a download. That would be one you might need to call MP about. The CD would match the text, not the workbook, so it should be just fine as well!

Leave a comment:

• wycheck
    replied
    Are there any plans for second edition texts? My son wants me to get another FFL text because his is falling apart and he still refers to it a lot. Thanks.
    Last edited by wycheck; 09-05-2021, 07:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• wycheck
    replied
    Which came as a download? Did they come as part of the adult class?

Also, do you know if the pronunciation CD is substantially different from the first ed. since the text is the same? Thank you.
    Last edited by wycheck; 09-05-2021, 07:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• howiecram
    replied
    Question about the second edition: is the student text different from the first? Do we need 2nd ed. workbook, tests, and answer key PLUS teacher's manual and text? Should I just get the basic SFL set? (I don't really want an extra purchase, but God willing there will be at least 3 more children using the program.)
    The Student Text and Teacher's manual are not updated. You only need a 2nd ed. Workbook. (but because you get a new workbook, you need a new answer key...and a new test booklet (but these came as a download for me.. - the answer key will have the workbook, test and quizzes). Here is the link to the answer key. https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...econd-edition/

Leave a comment:

• wycheck
    replied
    Question about the second edition: is the student text different from the first? Do we need 2nd ed. workbook, tests, and answer key PLUS teacher's manual and text? Should I just get the basic SFL set? (I don't really want an extra purchase, but God willing there will be at least 3 more children using the program.)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X