• Show
Clear All

• Michelle T
    replied
    It is my pleasure!

Leave a comment:

• AlexandraMNelms
    replied
    Thank you for your detailed reply,it was very helpful.

Leave a comment:

• Michelle T
    replied
    Hello,

Your plan sounds like a good path from the description you have given as to the level of your son. Working through More StoryTime Treasures is a good idea because the format will be similar to that of second grade lit and it eases students into chapter books. Also the reading level of the books in More StoryTime Treasures is much higher than first grade. So the material should be enough of a challenge. Remember for Memoria Press literature students are to be reading the books aloud. For a student with suspected Dyslexia, even a very mild case, it can be beneficial for him to see/hear the material read aloud first before he is called upon to decode it himself. Be sure he is tracking with you in the book not just listening. Follow this immediately with him reading aloud to you. This may mean it takes a bit longer to get through the reading but time spent solidifying this skill will be worth it down the line since all subjects rely upon strong reading skills. It will help with his comprehension as well because a student's listening level is higher than their reading level so anything he has heard read aloud to him is easier for him to comprehend.

As you work through Mammals be ready to give assistance with the comprehension questions and complete these in the same manner you do the ones in More StoryTime Treasures. Again, working with your student, modeling how to answer comprehension questions in complete sentences is key to success in the coming years.

The American Studies is reading and oral questions so no writing there, which will means you won't spend as much time on the course. I do suggest you take turns reading aloud the books because expositotry reading is harder than reading to follow a storyline and your child will need practice with this type reading as well.

Leave a comment:

• AlexandraMNelms
    started a topic Would this Work? Thinking ahead...

Would this Work? Thinking ahead...

I have a son who turned 8 this summer. He is about 1/3 of the way through Rod and Staff Math 2. We are working on reading lessons from another publisher and Traditional Spelling 1. I think his reading level is about at More Story Time Treasures and I plan on purchasing that when we finish our current reading curriculum. I have taught two to read before him and he has had a much harder time. Dyslexia does run in my family. Although his reading is delayed, he has an amazing compehension. Anything he listens to he can retell with full detail; he also makes connections constantly between different texts. Now I will get to my point. I am thinking when he finishes Rod and Staff math 2 and Traditional Spelling 1 and More Story Time Treasures (probably about the New Year), of purchasing the Second Grade Core w/ third grade math. I plan on doing the Third Grade Read Alouds with him and Third Grade American Studies and the World of Mammals. When that is completed I would go straight to Fourth for New Users. Would this work? He is a delayed reader but I do not think he needs Simply Classical. Besides reading, he cateches on to things very quickly and has great retention.
Working...
X