Latin for sacred

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latin for sacred

We are just starting Second Form Latin. Is there any rule of thumb for using sacer sacra sacrum for sacred vs. sanctus -a -um? I just tried to correct my 5th grader who of course knows more Latin than me and pointed out that I haven’t the faintest idea what I’m talking about!!
    Carrie
    Mom of 5 in Tennessee

2021-2022
    3rd or 5th year homeschooling - slowly transitioning to more MP
    5th grade girl
    3rd grade boy
    K girl
    Littles running wild

Based on it's use in the Mass, I think sanctus means "holy" rather than "set apart". Perhaps sacer is more in the sense of "set apart for holy purposes'?
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2021-2022
    DS18: Almost done!
    DS17: MP, MPOA
    DS15: MP, MPOA
    DS12: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
    DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
    DD9: SC3
    DD6: MPK

Comment

I agree with Jen. Sacer implied set apart, whether sacred or accursed, in early Roman religion, but in Christian Latin acquired a more general sense of sacred, holy, consecrated, hallowed. You see these ideas in related Latin words sacramentum, holy mystery, and sacerdos, priest.

Sanctus, holy, consecrated, inviolable, sacred, is from the verb sancio, consecrate, appoint as sacred. It has the root idea of sanctified and originally had some connotation of law (note the derivative sanction). It also took on a more general sense of holy, sacred.

There may be some common ground, but I think sanctus is the broader term, and it seems the more common term in Christian Latin.

Bonnie

Comment

Just had an obvious afterthought -- you can see the original idea of sacer, set apart, in its derivative sacrifice.

Comment

Thanks! I’m not sure I’m going to be able to tease out those differences at the SFL level, but that’s helpful for watching how the words are used!
          Carrie
          Mom of 5 in Tennessee

2021-2022
          3rd or 5th year homeschooling - slowly transitioning to more MP
          5th grade girl
          3rd grade boy
          K girl
          Littles running wild

Comment

Exactly. At that level it is not necessary to know all the nuances beyond the basic text definitions. But it is a great sign for a student to be curious as to the use of different Latin words with similar meanings and to begin to examine connections between Latin words.

Bonnie

Comment

Working...
            X