Poetry Memorization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poetry Memorization

I don't know who to ask. Is anyone familiar with IEW's Linguistic Development through Poetry Memorization? We started using it about a year and a half ago. We have invested so much time into listening to the CD's and working on the poetry. Many poems are memorized, but because of the opportunity to listen to the poems on CD, many more poems are half memorized just from hearing them. The package is for about five or so years of memory work, so, obviously, we haven't gone through it all. Here 's my conundrum: I am trying to move away from doing "all the things" and toward doing a solid job teaching MP third grade. I have dropped a lot of things that we tried last year, but I am having a hard time dropping this one. However when I look at MP's poems for third grade (which are not short), our scripture memorization, and the Shakespeare selections that my daughter wants to master (not to mention memorizing EGR, Greek Myths facts, the math facts, etc.)...I wonder if including IEW's poetry as well is a crazy idea? The fact that the poems are on CD just helps so much. We normally review memorized poems during recitation, but the CD's made it possible to let my child hear the poems during snack while I washed dishes or folded laundry. Do you know what I mean? So, do I slow way down on IEW's poetry program and maintain our progress, or drop it all together? Thoughts? Thank you!

Ah, the ol’ Sunk-Cost Fallacy. I have been there! I, too, am guilty of trying to do “all the things”. The best advice I’ve heard here on the boards is, “Write down everything you want to accomplish in a year. … Then cut it in half.” If you want to pare down and dial in — but that IEW investment is grinding your gears — just listen to the CDs for pleasure during breaks. Or pare down the memorization to one or two poems instead of six or seven. Take IEW poetry from the “cake” category and make it “icing” instead. It’s the dessert — if you’re not too full — instead of the meal.
    “If I should fall even a thousand times a day, a thousand times, with peaceful repentance, I will say immediately, Nunc Coepi, ‘Now, I begin.’.”

~Venerable Bruno Lanteri
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Boy Wonder 13 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 4/5 + Seton 5
    Joy Bubble 11 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 4/5 + Seton 5
    Cuddly Cowboy 9 ...SC7/8 + MP4 + Rod & Staff 3/4/5 + Seton 4
    Sassafras 5 ...MPK + Seton K

Comment

We used their program for a few years and I love it. I am switching to MP grammar school poetry because our book was falling apart anyway (bought it used and we’ve abused it) and I wanted a little more poetry analysis included. I’m already unsure if I made the right choice because the MP 3A curriculum manual doesn’t schedule poetry nearly as consistently as I was hoping to achieve memorization.

I wouldn’t try to memorize a whole level in one year because that’s a lot of time on poetry, but I would insist on focus on a single stanza of a single poem at a time if you want good memory. Or just enjoy listening to the CD, pick up from it what you can, and focus on other things for academics.
      Carrie
      Mom of 5 in Tennessee

2021-2022
      3rd or 5th year homeschooling - slowly transitioning to more MP
      5th grade girl
      3rd grade boy
      K girl
      Littles running wild

Comment

Interesting. Thank you. Maybe I'll hold on to LDP until we've gotten further into MP.

Comment

Working...
        X