Table Blessing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Table Blessing

Could someone type in for me the exact wording, punctuation, and capitalization of the Table Blessing (in English)? I can't find it printed anywhere for the life of me and need to type it into a document. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by pickandgrin; 07-29-2021, 05:47 PM.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
    DS 12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
    DD 10th • HLN, Latin online
    DD 7th • HLN & Home
    DS 4th • HLN & Home
    Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

A friend messaged it to me -- Many thanks!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
    DS 12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
    DD 10th • HLN, Latin online
    DD 7th • HLN & Home
    DS 4th • HLN & Home
    Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

There are many, many iterations within the MP manuals and texts (even different word orders). I vote that MP starts to sync them.
      Mama to 2

Spring start MP1
      Summer start 5A

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A, SC B, SC C,
      SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

Yes. We need to do that.

Comment

First, second, and third form seem to be the same. The English translation in the appendix doesn’t set the appositive off with commas or include a comma after gifts, but does acknowledge that Per Christum Dominum nostrum is a sentence. Latina Christiana tries to do a word for word translation underneath the Latin without regard to English word order and doesn’t punctuate Per Christum…as a separate sentence.
          Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
          15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
          DD College Freshman
          DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
          DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
          DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

I see this most commonly written as, Bless us, O Lord, and these Thy gifts which we are about to receive from Thy bounty. Through Christ our Lord. Amen. I would capitalize the final Per prepositional phrase as Dorinda mentions -- not only because Per is preceded by a period/full stop and is capitalized in Latin, but also because this is a common expression in Christian Latin that applies to the entire preceding prayer (not just to the verb receive.) It is a fixed expression asking for the mediation of Christ.

The phrase haec tua dona may be read as two adjectives, a demonstrative and a possessive, in one noun phrase -- these thy gifts -- so I think there need be no comma between haec and tua. Also, a comma between gifts and which is not necessary if the relative clause is considered as a restrictive clause, an essential clause.

The Latin word order is typical Latin and is very logical. Benedic, Domine, nos et haec tua dona quae de tua largitate sumus sumpturi. Per Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen. Literally,Bless, O Lord, us and these Thy gifts which from Thy bounty we are about to receive. Through Christ our Lord. Amen. The Latin accusatives nos et haec tua dona stand together, and the Latin verb stands last. This is slightly rearranged for smoother English.

Bonnie

Comment

I'll get on it! It'll likely be on a "whenever each book gets reprinted" basis, but slowly yet surely I can get the Table Blessings of each book to agree with each other. Besides those already mentioned, any books that do have irregular spelling, pronunciation, etc. in either English or Latin are best mentioned to me by email so I know specifically to keep an eye out for it when it's time to reprint.

- Jon

Comment

Working...
              X