Fourth Grade options: standard or New User

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fourth Grade options: standard or New User

We aren’t new users, but I am trying to decide which manual to order for this school year for my fourth grader.

We have been using MP since first grade for him, but last year as a third grader, we didn’t do all the subjects as recommended. We did Prima Latina and did not read Greek Myths. The other MP thing that we do outside of the guide is Bible: we don’t do Christian Studies with MP, we have other work for that.

So, I’m wondering if for this next year I should do the New User Manual since we will be just starting with Greek Myths and with Latina Christiana.

Thanks!

Loving life in the Northwoods of MN.
    2021-2022
    Son 4th Grade
    Son 2nd Grade
    Daughter 1st Grade
    Son 4 years old tagalong

That sounds like a great fit for where you're starting next year. Enjoy!
    Mama to 2

Spring start MP1
    Summer start 5A

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A, SC B, SC C,
    SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

I agree, sounds like a great plan!
      Christine

(2021/2022)
      DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, Language Arts with Grandma)
      DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
      DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

Previous Years
      DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
      DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
      DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

Comment

Thank you ladies. Do you happen to know if the content in the front and back would include everything the 4th standard manual has?
        2021-2022
        Son 4th Grade
        Son 2nd Grade
        Daughter 1st Grade
        Son 4 years old tagalong

Comment

Are you talking about the list of books required to complete the course on the STOP! page and then all of the readers listed in the back (read-alouds, picture books, and American history supplemental readers)? If so, the latter are the same. The only difference between 4M and 4NU (for new users) is that 4M parents have already purchased and completed the first half of CS I (which includes half of Copybook Cursive II and Timeline dates), Greek Myths, US S&C, Latina Christiana and EGR I in 3M. The poetry, read-alouds, American history supplemental readers, Core Skills Language Arts, math, Classical Composition Fable, Astronomy, literature guides and spelling are all the same in 4M vs 4NU.
          Mama to 2

Spring start MP1
          Summer start 5A

Comment

enbateau thanks. That is helpful, too. I’m actually asking about the extra resources and Black line things in the Appendix, and the before you teach info in the front of the book usually right after the Stop! Page. But your answer helps me see what some differences are. Since we have done first half of States and Capitals and EGR, I just need to weigh the costs of which parts I want in the right places in the manual I guess

thank you!!!
            2021-2022
            Son 4th Grade
            Son 2nd Grade
            Daughter 1st Grade
            Son 4 years old tagalong

Comment

The differences between the two, I believe, are in Latin, EGR, States, Myths, and Christian. You are doing your own Christian studies so that is irrelevant to the choice. You need to start Latin and Myths from the beginning and finish the second half of States and EGR. If I were in this situation, I would choose New User since that would have the Latin and Myths full plans already built in for me. One option you could consider is to just skip States and EGR until you get to the week where it is new material. That allows for a slower start to the year and means you wouldn’t need any supplemental lesson plans. You could spend that first half of the year lightly reviewing States and EGR. Perhaps each week you do the quiz for States not as a quiz but as a review and do the deviation for EGR orally just to keep it fresh until you get to new material.
              Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
              DD, 26, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
              DS, 24, BS '18 mechanical engineering
              DS, 22, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
              (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
              DS, 20, Physics major
              DD, 17, dyslexic, 11th grade customizednMP plus co-op
              DS, 13, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 8A
              DD, 7 , 1ST Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

That would be *recitation for EGR. I can’t go edit without getting my post put in limbo for review.
                Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
                DD, 26, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
                DS, 24, BS '18 mechanical engineering
                DS, 22, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
                (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
                DS, 20, Physics major
                DD, 17, dyslexic, 11th grade customizednMP plus co-op
                DS, 13, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 8A
                DD, 7 , 1ST Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

That is a truly excellent idea, Debbie! I would not worry about the manual having anything extra in 4M. The write-ups at the start are going to be a touch different because the pacing is different for the one-year pace. The reproducible pages at the back should be similar in 4M vs 4NU but a touch different since 3rd grade accelerated has a review box (and some of those subjects that are broken up into two years would have the 2nd half of review box cards for 4M vs. all of the printable cards for 4NU subjects). The composition pages are new since I bought the manual, but if you have any concerns, give MP a call. They are amazing! If they haven't taught it themselves or been a student, the have pdfs of every single text available at their fingertips.
                  Mama to 2

Spring start MP1
                  Summer start 5A

Comment

Working...
                  X