Kindergarten Calendar Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kindergarten Calendar Time

Help me out with your very specific plan for how you handle kindergarten calendar time. I’ve read the manual, but I’m still feeling rather overwhelmed about how to craft a daily routine for all these important skills. Have you bought or repurposed anything that helps a lot for calendars, weather graphs, daily tally sticks, etc?

This is my child #3, but the first one who I’m homeschooling completely at home in kindergarten. My schedule will always be tight with two older siblings and two younger ones vying for time and attention as well.
    Carrie
    Mom of 5 in Tennessee

2021-2022
    3rd or 5th year homeschooling - slowly transitioning to more MP
    5th grade girl
    3rd grade boy
    K girl
    Littles running wild

We keep it SUPER simple. I marked the CM with circled numbers for each part of calendar time. As for what we use:

She often colors or draws while I work with her special needs sister so that covers the first part.
    A regular calendar hangs next to her desk. It has lovely religious art on it as well as the liturgical days for the month. I'm still trying to find stickers for the weather.
    The color word flashcards are on a ring and I just flip to the needed cards for review/introduction.
    I got two cute, glass milk jars from Hobby Lobby and used long dowels from the dollar store for the sticks. We place a new stick each day in the ones, etc.
    We haven't reached the money and clock portions yet in the curriculum, but I have a wooden clock and a personal whiteboard and I plan to just use coins out of my purse for the money.

She loves this part of our day and it honestly takes 5 minutes tops. HTH!

Click image for larger version

Name:	50F6C7B7-A1F5-495A-BE1F-165075F36D8E_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	227
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	131655

Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2021-2022
    DS18: Almost done!
    DS17: MP, MPOA
    DS15: MP, MPOA
    DS12: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
    DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
    DD9: SC3
    DD6: MPK

Comment

Thanks for the detailed description, Jennifer! I knew I was starting to build this up way too much in my head and I had to simplify.
      Carrie
      Mom of 5 in Tennessee

2021-2022
      5th grade girl
      3rd grade boy
      K girl
      Littles running wild

Comment

Just to add…I never did formal calendar time with either of my kindergarteners. We have a regular calendar next to the table and we causally discussed the days of the week and how to read the date until it stuck. Sometimes we would talk about the weather. Both learned color and number words and reading clocks and place value just through the regular math and phonics lessons. I think the calendar time as laid out by MP looks lovely, but it was just one more thing for me to try to implement and use limited time/attention on and I decided it wasn’t a priority for us. Both kids still managed to learn those skills without any issue.
        2021-2022
        DS1 (7) - MP2
        DD (6) - MP1
        DS2 (3) - SCA
        +5 little souls in Heaven+

Comment

This past year, I bought a large pocket calendar for around $30 on Amazon, which included month, day, date, weather, and holiday cards. At the beginning of the month, we would recite the months until we got to the new one, then set up the calendar with the new month name and dates in the proper places. We placed birthday and holiday cards, which were fun to look forward to. Each day, after prayers, pledge, and hymn, which we did with the whole family, I would have my kindergartener go to the calendar. At the beginning of the year she would count on the dates until she got to today (they were flipped each day to show a different color). Then sing the days of the week until she got to today. Then I would say, "Today is Monday, January 3rd" (for example), touching the words Monday and January and the date card as I said them. Then she would imitate. By the end of the year, she would figure this out on her own and announce it as soon as I said it was calendar time. We also had cards for Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow, which slid in behind the dates. She would move those each day and name the dates for Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow. Then we named the weather for the day and put out the right card for that. That was it! Took 5ish minutes. We didn't do place value or graphing. I needed to keep it short, and those things come in the math curriculum in time. I'm sure they would be fun, but not necessary in kindergarten, in my opinion!
          Amy

DS 13 MP8
          DD 11 MP6
          DS 9 MP4
          DD 6 MP1
          DS 4 R&S Pre-k books
          DS 1

Comment

My guy is doing JrK this year but it sounds like the K calendar is about the same. This is what we do.

I have a pocket calendar I bought at Target years ago. He puts in today’s date then we sing a little song while pointing to the days: “Today is Monday, today is Monday all day long! All day long. Tomorrow will be Wednesday. Yesterday was Sunday. It is a sunny day, it is a sunny day.” Then we say the date: Today is Monday, 12 July 2021. (I teach my kids the European way to say and write dates.)

We then sing the wall. This has a large train of months of the year (Found a Peanut tune), elephants for days of the week (Addam’s Family theme song tune), MP abc chart, and things we are memorizing (Article of Faith, birthday, address, etc.). He knows colors and numbers so we skip those.

I also made a 100 chart that we put a sticker on at the end of each school day. His math (Dimensions Math) will cover whatever else he needs for now.

Calendar will be quick and snappy once you find your rhythm.
            The Homeschool Grads:
            J- 6/96
            S- 11/98

Homeschooling:
            G- 4/04 (mild ASD/mild intellectual delay)
            D- 5/05
            F- 7/08 (my only girl)

New Homeschooler:
            M- 9/16: JrK

Comment

Thanks! We will find our rhythm, I’m sure. I’m starting my K student 2 wks before the older kids since it’s our first year doing school together. I’ll get them into serious Latin flashcard and math fact review during her school time, so they are ready to hit the ground running later.

I’ve ordered a simple cork board and a basic calendar that will be hers. I’m hoping that will give us a special spot for her daily routine that feels special. We have a family wall calendar but my kindergartener doesn’t ever pay attention to it since she can’t read all the scheduled activities yet - and it’s up too high for her to easily see. This little girl of mine is intensively sad that she isn’t going away to kindergarten after adoring her experience in a 2-day pre-K class last year. We will find the right balance for her, but I want to start on a positive note!
              Carrie
              Mom of 5 in Tennessee

2021-2022
              5th grade girl
              3rd grade boy
              K girl
              Littles running wild

Comment

Working...
              X