Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matching up EGR IV with Core Skills Language Arts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matching up EGR IV with Core Skills Language Arts?

Hello, all!

My boys will be in Chreia/Maxim and EGR IV this fall. They will be doing a review of SFL at home with me, with an eye towards TFL next fall.

Since EGR IV is tied to the grammar taught in TFL, I'm feeling like we need some extra help to shore up these concepts. Looking at the Core Skills Language Arts, do any of those line up with EGR IV? I know we will need extra practice.

Thanks!
    Plans for 2021-22

Year 11 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 26 - Small Business owner with 2 locations
    DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy/Vita Beata - equestrian
    DS3 - 13 -6A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
    DS4 - 13 - 6A Cottage School -soccer -auditory processing disorder
    DD5 - 9 - 4A, Cottage School/MPOA -equestrian
    DS6 - 7 - MPK - first time at the Cottage School this fall!

EGR IV is scheduled in 7M so the PDF grammar plans should have Core Skills all lined up for you.
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2021-2022
    DS18: Almost done!
    DS17: MP, MPOA
    DS15: MP, MPOA
    DS12: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
    DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
    DD9: SC3
    DD6: MPK

Comment

If you look at samples of CS LA for grades 6 or 7 (other websites have their scope and sequence: cough : RR), either will work. CS LA 6 might feel a little easy, but it reviews transitive/intransitive verbs, pronouns/reflexive prn, etc., while CS LA 7 adds gerunds and some more advanced grammar.
      Mama to 2

Spring start MP1
      Summer start 5A

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A, SC B, SC C,
      SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

My son just completed 7th grade, while doing SFL, EGR IV, and Chreia/Maxim. The 7th grade curriculum manual has pages from Core Skills LA assigned each week that roughly align with the concepts covered in EGR IV. So the answer to your question is yes!

Several times this past year, my son recognized in the English grammar a concept he had already learned in Latin. It also sometimes worked the other way around. He has been a bit of a slow burn in Latin, so when we were approaching the last unit of SFL, I told him ahead of time that this last unit, which introduces passive voice, would be challenging. When we finally got to it and I taught the first lesson on passive voice, he breezed through the work and said it was not challenging at all because he had already learned about passive voice in English grammar the year before. So that was very nice:-)
        Amy

DS 13 MP8
        DD 11 MP6
        DS 9 MP4
        DD 6 MP1
        DS 4 R&S Pre-k books
        DS 1

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
          EGR IV is scheduled in 7M so the PDF grammar plans should have Core Skills all lined up for you.
          Now I just have to look to see if I still have the CM or if I need to order a new one. My system is in shambles this week, and I'm trying to beat it into submission. 🤣
          Last edited by DiannaKennedy; 07-17-2021, 10:42 AM.
          Plans for 2021-22

DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy/Vita Beata - equestrian

Comment

Originally posted by enbateau View Post
            If you look at samples of CS LA for grades 6 or 7 (other websites have their scope and sequence: cough : RR), either will work. CS LA 6 might feel a little easy, but it reviews transitive/intransitive verbs, pronouns/reflexive prn, etc., while CS LA 7 adds gerunds and some more advanced grammar.
            It's funny you say this --- I actually have BOTH in my cart. Given their learning challenges, easy review is likely a great thing.
            TY! Off to print out scope and sequence.

Plans for 2021-22

Comment

Originally posted by smithamykat View Post
              My son just completed 7th grade, while doing SFL, EGR IV, and Chreia/Maxim. The 7th grade curriculum manual has pages from Core Skills LA assigned each week that roughly align with the concepts covered in EGR IV. So the answer to your question is yes!

Several times this past year, my son recognized in the English grammar a concept he had already learned in Latin. It also sometimes worked the other way around. He has been a bit of a slow burn in Latin, so when we were approaching the last unit of SFL, I told him ahead of time that this last unit, which introduces passive voice, would be challenging. When we finally got to it and I taught the first lesson on passive voice, he breezed through the work and said it was not challenging at all because he had already learned about passive voice in English grammar the year before. So that was very nice:-)
              You're making me feel better already.
              We pushed the pause button on Latin for a year of review, and to shore up other areas. I was comfortable with my decision, until grammar raised her head. This helps to ease my nerves. THANK YOU!
              Plans for 2021-22

Comment

Working...
              X