The HLS 4 day Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The HLS 4 day Schedule

Listening to the Teacher Training, we learn that our CM and the practices at HLS differ. I know I'm not supposed to be slave to the manual, but I can't help but feel like I failed if they didn't get to it all.

It's not a criticism of the CM because the CM is awesome. It is a request to purchase the HLS 4-day version of the class syllabus. It would make planning so much easier if I didn't have to turn it on its head on my own, when HLS has already finished that hurdle. I'm more than happy to pay again, or even assemble it from course syllabus' pages for each course.

Does anyone else follow a 4 day schedule?
    4 day schedule
    50.00%
    5 day schedule
    50.00%
    Other
    0%
    Melissa

DS (MP4M) - 10
    DS (MP3A) - 8
    DS (1) - 7
    DD (Adorable distraction) 4

It should be noted that while the HLS schools might be "in class" 4 days a week, the students do have work to do on the 5th day at home. I know many families would love a 4 day a week plan though.
    Christine

(2021/2022)
    DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, Language Arts with Grandma)
    DS2 9/1/11 - MP4M
    DD3 2/9/13 -MP2/MP3

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

Comment

Originally posted by MBentley View Post
      but I can't help but feel like I failed if they didn't get to it all.
      Please know that my words come from a place of love and experience, Melissa.

I would encourage you to move away from that way of thinking. Lean into your homeschool.

As much as I love and respect the teachers at HLS, I know that teaching in a classroom and homeschooling are completely different animals. My daughter was in HLS full time for 2 years. During that time, it struck me --- the teachers there seem to get so much more done in a smaller amount of time, but there are a few reasons for that.

1) They have one job. They are there to teach. Meanwhile, think about how many hats you wear while you're trying to accomplish your school day. In a day's time, you're trying to monitor a pencil grip, teach phonics, read aloud, plan meals, keep the dog from eating Barbies, and deal with an overflowing toilet.
      2)They know the material backward and forward, because they have taught the same thing year after year, and have prepared. I am SO relaxed when I've already tackled a subject once, twice, three times already. Prima Latina will be a piece of cake for you, the more students you bring through.

It took me many years to finally get comfortable with doing things our way and knowing that we cannot do everything. I wish I'd gotten to that place sooner.
      Plans for 2021-22

Year 11 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 26 - Small Business owner with 2 locations
      DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy/Vita Beata - equestrian
      DS3 - 13 -6A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
      DS4 - 13 - 6A Cottage School -soccer -auditory processing disorder
      DD5 - 9 - 4A, Cottage School/MPOA -equestrian
      DS6 - 7 - MPK - first time at the Cottage School this fall!

Comment

DiannaKennedy My new hobby is copying the last one or two of your post's lines and adding a YES.

"It took me many years to finally get comfortable with... knowing that we cannot do everything. I wish I'd gotten to that place sooner."
        Festina lentē,
        Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
        12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN
        10th • HLN, Latin online, MPOA
        7th • HLN & Home
        4th • HLN & Home
        Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
          DiannaKennedy My new hobby is copying the last one or two of your post's lines and adding a YES.

"It took me many years to finally get comfortable with... knowing that we cannot do everything. I wish I'd gotten to that place sooner."
          Agreed. I did the same in the Facebook group just today. DiannaKennedy is on fire after being submerged in a week of Memoria Press goodness. Not Goodness, but about as close as we can get.
          21/22 - 4th MP Year, Dad & Quadrivium Teacher
          S - 7, 2nd MP @ HLN & Home
          D - 5, K MP @ HLN & Home
          S - 4, Jr K MP @ Home

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post

Seriously, y'all, I feel like I've grown up SO MUCH these past few years. Homeschooling and all of life's challenges has been a refining fire for me.
            Plans for 2021-22

Year 11 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 26 - Small Business owner with 2 locations
            DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy/Vita Beata - equestrian
            DS3 - 13 -6A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
            DS4 - 13 - 6A Cottage School -soccer -auditory processing disorder
            DD5 - 9 - 4A, Cottage School/MPOA -equestrian
            DS6 - 7 - MPK - first time at the Cottage School this fall!

Comment

Yeeeeeesssss. Part of maturing as a teacher of your own children is confidence in knowing your student and your circumstances. If anything, try to get the big picture strokes so you can see what your student needs to move forward. I watched so many people this week ask about why HLS doesn't have a master list of what to skip or leave out. The truth is that is varies with every class. Some students come in knowing more than others. Some students put in more effort, while others need to be carried along and given more carrots. In a finite school day, time constraints dictate everything! The guide is a minimum, but its oral to written ratio depends on the real-time decision-making skills of the teacher in relation to how much writing students need, which questions appear on quizzes and tests, and how deep discussion went.

One of the teachers mentioned 10 minutes of homework per one grade level (so, 50 min per night in 5th grade). It's not that any homework should be our ideal, but 200-250 minutes of homework per week accounts for a lot of the work of that 5th day. And if you listened to any of the seasoned teachers talk, they are running through some aspects (think Timeline) as a 5-minute, once-every-two-weeks and largely oral component that would take your or me thirty minutes.

Cottage schools and MPOA may only teach one day a week, but Latin, math and spelling require daily work at home. Don't feel hemmed in by the guide. If your children can thrive with whatever ingenious plan you've created, do it with confidence.
              Mama to 2

Spring start MP1
              Summer start 5A

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A, SC B, SC C,
              SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

I'm so glad to have a face to go with your words, enbateau !
                Festina lentē,
                Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
                12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN
                10th • HLN, Latin online, MPOA
                7th • HLN & Home
                4th • HLN & Home
                Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Working...
                X