How to speed up R&S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to speed up R&S

I have a 1st grader and a 2nd grader (we’re about 4 weeks in…we use more of a year round schedule) and both are ahead of where we’re at in the book as far as having facts memorized and are complaining that their math assignments are too easy. They do flash cards with my husband every morning in addition to our R&S. My 2nd grader has addition and subtraction down up to 20 and my first grader up to 10. Each child has also mastered all the other material taught in R&S thus far. How do I accelerate things a bit to keep them engaged without just skipping things? I don’t want to skip and create gaps, but math time is pretty rapidly becoming busy work and I’m starting to see signs of mutiny against it.
    2021-2022
    DS1 (7) - MP2
    DD (6) - MP1
    DS2 (3) - SCA
    +5 little souls in Heaven+

You might consider having them taking the placement test for Rod & Staff math to see if they are at the right level. It can be found here: https://www.milestonebooks.com/list/...Living_Series/

If they don't place out of the 1st or 2nd grade books, the placement test should give you an idea of what type of problems they need to master. Then you could do 2 or possibly more lessons per day, only focusing on the problems they need to work on. You could do the fact practice orally in the workbooks to make it go quicker and only do a few rows rather than entire pages.
    Susan

2021-2022
    A (13) - Simply Classical 7/8
    C (12) - Simply Classical 7/8
    G (8) - Simply Classical 1

Comment

Originally posted by sfhargett View Post
      You might consider having them taking the placement test for Rod & Staff math to see if they are at the right level. It can be found here: https://www.milestonebooks.com/list/...Living_Series/

If they don't place out of the 1st or 2nd grade books, the placement test should give you an idea of what type of problems they need to master. Then you could do 2 or possibly more lessons per day, only focusing on the problems they need to work on. You could do the fact practice orally in the workbooks to make it go quicker and only do a few rows rather than entire pages.
      Thanks! I’ll look at those over the weekend and see where we should be. I definitely don’t want to miss anything or rush through material that isn’t mastered yet. I think I needed someone’s permission that it’s ok to skip material they already know we’ll
      2021-2022
      DS1 (7) - MP2
      DD (6) - MP1
      DS2 (3) - SCA
      +5 little souls in Heaven+

Comment

I agree with Susan that you will be better off accelerating your pace rather than skipping ahead. You may end up with gaps by skipping, but you will ensure mastery if you move at an accelerated pace, covering a little of every topic, even when it's review.

Tanya

Comment

Working...
        X