Where to start with Logic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to start with Logic

Hi there! Just a little background first: My daughter is a rising eighth grader, who will be finishing Chreia/Maxim with me over the summer. I had gathered from other posts that Logic I is a great course to take before (or in our case concurrently) with Refutation/Confirmation. However, I am torn between CAP's Logic sequence and Memoria's! I really like how Memoria materials get right to the point and break down something potentially complex into incremental steps, but CAP's Art of the Argument looks (for lack of better words) more open-and-go? Or more conversational? Or perhaps, less intimidating?😅 I'm not sure if I'm correct in thinking this though. We've been so happy this year switching over to using more Memoria materials.

Something else of note regarding our decision is that I don't want this to be a course she primarily completes on her own. My husband really wants to complete this course with her and I'm wondering if one vs. the other would lend to a better introduction to the subject without sacrificing the building blocks needed to study it further. Thanks for your help!
    DD-13 Mostly Memoria materials with Kolbe Academy recs alongside
    DD-11 Mostly Memoria materials
    DS-10 IEW, Memoria Literature, AAS mash-up with Memoria Classical Studies
    DD-8 Memoria Language Arts, Prima Latina, Classical Studies
    DD-4 Sweet Ball of Sunshine, budding PK
    DS-newly minted 1 year old, wants to live on our deck in the sunshine!

My preference is to wait until 9th and then do Traditional 1 & 2 in 9th and Material & Rhetoric in 10th. (Or same sequence but in 10th and 11th)
    It IS a great course for chatting together and my preference is to get into that with an older teen, rather than a younger one. My kids have loved this class sequence and it feels really light compared to much of their other high school work. It's sort of a cherry on the top of their schedule.

I cannot speak to the CAP materials as I haven't used them, but you probably already know that MP's program focuses on linguistic, Aristotelian logic rather than modern symbolic logic. That will be its (MP) primary difference from most logic programs.

HTH!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
    12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN
    10th • HLN, Latin online, MPOA
    7th • HLN & Home
    4th • HLN & Home
    Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Jessica,
      Thank you for your response! Oh my goodness, it looks like I need to read up more on differences in Logic programs! I do not know the differences between the different content (at least using that terminology), but I’m guessing there is a reason between one being favored over the other at certain learning stages. I did notice CAP starts their Logic sequence sooner than Memoria, and perhaps that is why I started looking into all of this for my rising 8th grader! I’m assuming Refutation and Confirmation could be successfully completed as a “taste” in Logic (going through the mental steps naturally) vs. the outright teaching of it? I hope this made sense, I’m posting amidst lots of weekend activity! Thanks again!

Comment

I came across this comparison by Martin Cothran in a very old thread (2012!):

Click image for larger version

Name:	891ADA62-923D-4826-97DE-04098DE7B8F6.png
Views:	145
Size:	874.2 KB
ID:	131128

Attached Files
        Jennifer
        Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2021-2022
        DS18: Almost done!
        DS17: MP, MPOA
        DS15: MP, MPOA
        DS12: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
        DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
        DD9: SC3
        DD6: MPK

Comment

Jennifer,
          Thanks for finding that! I was looking myself but didn’t come across any comparisons between the two. “Logic” was one of those courses I just figured I’d look into later.....until the years rolled by and now my oldest is an 8th grader! Seems to me I should have been reading the Logic articles in the Memoria magazines a little more diligently🤔. I’m wondering then if AA is just more of a “gentle” introduction to the notion of “Logic in action” before studying it formally as a subject. The confidence instilled by using the mastery approach makes Memoria’s rendition a winner in my mind. Thanks again!

Comment

Stella Maris mom
            ​​​​​​Behold! Classical Teacher "Logic" archive!
            https://www.memoriapress.com/article...ubjects/logic/
            Festina lentē,
            Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
            12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN
            10th • HLN, Latin online, MPOA
            7th • HLN & Home
            4th • HLN & Home
            Me • Third Form for Adults, MPOA; teaching TFL and co-directing @

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

Yay! For “behind” readers like me that overlook those gems! Many thanks!

Comment

Hello all! Brand new to posting on the forum, but been reading for over a year! My DS-14 will start 10th this fall and Logic 1 & 2 are in my plans! For homeschooling, how much time each day is recommended? I would like to plan 45 minutes/day; will that be enough? I do try to keep "homework" to a minimum! Thanks so much!

Comment

Hello.

Sorry for the late response. We were hosting a conference last week and just now catching up!

We would say for a 10th grader using our curriculum that you can count on a 5-6 hour school day for your student. Some of that will be reading, and there shouldn't be any homework if all lessons are completed during the school day. That's an advantage to homeschooling!

Let us know if you have further questions.

Tanya

Comment

Working...
                  X