Mapping activity book for summer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mapping activity book for summer?

My kids love the Maps Charts and Graphs books but apparently they’ve been discontinued by the publisher and I can’t get the next levels we need. Does anyone have a fun map skills book to recommend? The ones I’m seeing on Amazon look blah and not worth our time.
    2021-2022
    DS1 (7) - MP2
    DD (6) - MP1
    DS2 (3) - SCA
    +5 little souls in Heaven+

My kids LOVE Carson Dellosa's The Complete Book of Maps and Geography. It says Grades 3-6, but my 2nd grader loved it.
    Mama to 2

Spring start MP1
    Summer start 5A

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A, SC B, SC C,
    SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

I am a big fan of the Evan-Moor Beginning Geography Book for the K-2 level. Great book and a great way to get students started in Geography and Mapping in the early years. Available on Amazon.
      21/22 - 4th MP Year, Dad & Quadrivium Teacher
      S - 7, 2nd MP @ HLN & Home
      D - 5, K MP @ HLN & Home
      S - 4, Jr K MP @ Home

Comment

Originally posted by Beorn View Post
        I am a big fan of the Evan-Moor Beginning Geography Book for the K-2 level. Great book and a great way to get students started in Geography and Mapping in the early years. Available on Amazon.
        ^^^^ That book is so cute. Just make sure you have a copy machine, as there are numerous cut and paste activities, but it is printed double-sided in a way that would ruin the unrelated activity on the back. In K, we got a DK Workbooks Geography: First Grade because it had a nice emphasis on landforms and "geography" terminology, and it's cheap and usually in stock at B&N to get with your educator discount.
        Mama to 2

Spring start MP1
        Summer start 5A

Comment

Originally posted by enbateau View Post
          Just make sure you have a copy machine, as there are numerous cut and paste activities, but it is printed double-sided in a way that would ruin the unrelated activity on the back.
          Definitely agreed. I should have mentioned that, thank you.

In K, we got a DK Workbooks Geography: First Grade because it had a nice emphasis on landforms and "geography" terminology, and it's cheap and usually in stock at B&N to get with your educator discount.
          Agreed again, I really do like the DK Workbooks Geography book too. It is another great choice for that age range. The geography buff in me couldn't wait as long as MP holds off on studying Geography in a formal way. I know, it is covered in the Enrichment guides, etc. These small and relatively inexpensive books hit the sweet spot for me for starting in the earlier years and doing so in a fun, informative way over summer break or as a supplemental.

And I keep forgetting about the educator discount at B&N. I really need to look into that. Though my full and sagging bookshelves would say otherwise.
          D - 5, K MP @ HLN & Home
          S - 4, Jr K MP @ Home

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations! I’ll check those out. My kids love mapping activities and are starting to play with various landforms in their backyard dirt pit so I want something to hit that sweet spot of fun but educational for hot summer afternoons.
            2021-2022
            DS1 (7) - MP2
            DD (6) - MP1
            DS2 (3) - SCA

Comment

^^^^ That book is so cute. Just make sure you have a copy machine, as there are numerous cut and paste activities, but it is printed double-sided in a way that would ruin the unrelated activity on the back. In K, we got a DK Workbooks Geography: First Grade because it had a nice emphasis on landforms and "geography" terminology, and it's cheap and usually in stock at B&N to get with your educator discount.
              Both these books look great. Would it be overkill to get the Evan Moore and the DK? My 6 and 7 year olds love fun workbooks. Or if I just pick one, which would you pick?
              2021-2022
              DS1 (7) - MP2
              DD (6) - MP1
              DS2 (3) - SCA

Comment

Originally posted by Jweishaar View Post

Both these books look great. Would it be overkill to get the Evan Moore and the DK? My 6 and 7 year olds love fun workbooks. Or if I just pick one, which would you pick?
                I do not think it would be overkill to choose both as they are both worthy choices. Are you in a Metro area and near a Barnes and Noble? Our local B&N always carries these books in the Children's section and if I were you (which I am not), I would take a peek at both and see which is better for your family. Or decide on both after looking at them. Maybe just call ahead to doublecheck they have it in stock if you do? Just a thought.
                Last edited by Beorn; 05-19-2021, 08:35 AM.
                D - 5, K MP @ HLN & Home
                S - 4, Jr K MP @ Home

Comment

If you have the budget, get both. I wanted the Evan Moore book, but between copying and the price difference, I ultimately went with the cheaper one (DK) for your kids' ages. The first book I mentioned was a bigger hit once my child was in 2nd, although it grows with you.
                  Mama to 2

Spring start MP1
                  Summer start 5A

Comment

Thanks, guys! The Evan Moore is on sale so I think I’m just going to get both. I wear my clothes and shoes until they’re falling apart but I have a healthy book budget
                    2021-2022
                    DS1 (7) - MP2
                    DD (6) - MP1
                    DS2 (3) - SCA

Comment

Working...
                    X