Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curriculum plan for K-6th?

Hello!
    Very excited to get started this summer with MP. I'll be using a combination of things from JrK and K for my 5 year old and some MP1 for my rising 2nd grader over the summer. Somewhere in these forums, I found a very helpful curriculum plan for 7th-12th grade--I tried to attach for reference but wasn't able to do so.

Does anyone have something similar for grades K-6th? My understanding is that this is the plan followed at Highlands Latin to give you an idea of what is covered which year and how many hours a week are devoted to each subject. If anyone knows of a similar resource for lower grades I'd love to see it!
    Thanks,
    Denise

Denise,

We do not have a curriculum sheet for the lower school that is like the upper school one. The upper school one is for the sake of high school credits, and that has never been necessary for the lower school. I do like the idea of it though, so maybe I'll do it one day! There is a sample schedule in the front of each curriculum manual that will help you schedule your days for each grade. Is there a specific subject you were interested in knowing how much time we spend? I can give you a general rule of thumb for all K-6: literature/reading is around an hour a day, Latin 45-60 mins. a day, classical/Christian/Modern Studies & science are each 1-1.5 hrs. a week, math is an hour a day. Does that help a little?

I'm adding your request to my wish list!

Tanya

Comment

This is more extensive than what you’re looking for, but it may help: https://www.memoriapress.com/wp-cont...equence-19.pdf
      Jennifer
      Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2021-2022
      DS18: Almost done!
      DS17: MP, MPOA
      DS15: MP, MPOA
      DS12: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
      DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
      DD9: SC3
      DD6: MPK

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
        I do like the idea of it though, so maybe I'll do it one day!....I'm adding your request to my wish list!
        I am adding it to my list too! Great idea!
        21/22 - 4th MP Year, Dad & Quadrivium Teacher
        S - 7, 2nd MP @ HLN & Home
        D - 5, K MP @ HLN & Home
        S - 4, Jr K MP @ Home

Comment

Yes, thank you both for the reply--and for the scope and sequence. I had seen it before, but nice to have my hands on it. I've looked at the suggested course layout in the catalog (with each grade and then pics of the books below arranged by subject) and can figure out what subjects are intended to be taught when according to MP schedule, but what I loved about the sheet for the upper school was that it was so nicely and simply laid out. I am starting my son with first grade over the summer to see how it goes. If he seems to do well we will move quickly and press on to second grade (which would be his official grade level if he went to school) after we have worked through the first grade literature, spelling and NAC. I just wanted to see how things would work if we end up taking a while for first grade. The enrichment and Bible study we are doing together with my kinder daughter who will be doing a mix of Jr K and K this year.

I probably just need to relax and take things as they come and not worry too much about the next step before we've begun this one!

Comment

Michael! So you can bug me about it regularly?

Comment

Originally posted by dahmdr View Post
              Yes, thank you both for the reply--and for the scope and sequence. I had seen it before, but nice to have my hands on it. I've looked at the suggested course layout in the catalog (with each grade and then pics of the books below arranged by subject) and can figure out what subjects are intended to be taught when according to MP schedule, but what I loved about the sheet for the upper school was that it was so nicely and simply laid out. I am starting my son with first grade over the summer to see how it goes. If he seems to do well we will move quickly and press on to second grade (which would be his official grade level if he went to school) after we have worked through the first grade literature, spelling and NAC. I just wanted to see how things would work if we end up taking a while for first grade. The enrichment and Bible study we are doing together with my kinder daughter who will be doing a mix of Jr K and K this year.

I probably just need to relax and take things as they come and not worry too much about the next step before we've begun this one!
              Yes! Don’t worry about grade levels as it will often backfire. Just meet him where he is at now.

We customize cores for almost all of our children, pulling from various “grade levels” based on where each child is at in each subject. All paperwork for doctors, sports, etc lists their age-based grade, not the numbers on their books.

HTH!
              Jennifer
              Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2021-2022
              DS18: Almost done!
              DS17: MP, MPOA
              DS15: MP, MPOA
              DS12: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
              DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
              DD9: SC3
              DD6: MPK

Comment

Michael! So you can bug me about it regularly?
                Ha! I can set Google reminders for however often you would need to receive them. Different levels of importance for different items. Lord of the Rings guides? Super high priority. Needed now, yesterday actually. Remember, it is on Mr. Cothran's best books recommended reading list if you need more motivation. K-6 guide? Important, yes, it can wait until tomorrow though.
                Last edited by Beorn; 05-17-2021, 01:41 PM.
                D - 5, K MP @ HLN & Home
                S - 4, Jr K MP @ Home

Comment

Oh, Beorn ...

Comment

Oh, Beorn ...
                    If hard copy wall calendar would be better...
                    D - 5, K MP @ HLN & Home
                    S - 4, Jr K MP @ Home

Comment

I have one of those too, but I can't seem to write everything down twice. Such a struggle to keep up with me ...

Comment

Working...
                      X