Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pickandgrin
    replied
    See? Bonnie was already on it while I was busy linking from Amazon. One body, many members.

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied
    Welcome to the forum!
    I'm short on time and I'm sure Jon or others will chime in here, but yes, they can have many meanings depending on the use in context. My best practical learn-along-with-you-kids tip is to go ahead and purchase your homeschool a Cassell's Standard Latin Dictionary. You will be using it for years. In fact, we are up to 4 copies in my house because every big kid has their own. It's under $16 and when questions like this pop up, you pull it off the shelf and investigate together. You also get to see so many interesting things along the way when you look something up. Long live the print dictionary!

Leave a comment:

• Bonnie
    replied
    Great observations. Yes, some Latin words are used with more than one meaning. You should generally remember quid as the interrogative pronoun meaning what. It is the nominative and accusative singular neuter of quis, who. Sometimes quid will mean how, but this is much less common.

Ubi means where, with a static sense: Where in the world are we? On the other hand, Quo vadis? Where are you going? means (To) where are you going? But we generally don't say to where in English. The word where is used to express both ideas, where and to where.(You may have seen Quo Vadis more poetically expressed as in Vulgate translations, Whither goest thou?)

Does this help?

Bonnie

Leave a comment:

• Kate Wilson
    started a topic Prima Latina Practical Latin meets Vocab

Prima Latina Practical Latin meets Vocab

I am learning latin along with my oldest as we work through Prima Latina; and we have come to a little bit of a standstill that I could use help on.

Lesson 22 Vocabulary words
    "quid" meaning "what?"
    "ubi" meaning "where?"

However in previous "practical latin phrases" (at the beginning of lessons 18 and 12) we have learned
    "Quid agis" means "HOW are you?"
    "Quo vadis?" means "WHERE are you going?"

So does "quid" mean both "what" and "how"?
    And does "where" sometimes "ubi" and other times "quo"?

Thank you for any help on this!
Working...
X