Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Accelerated Packages just the next grade level?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mrs Bee
    replied
    enbateau, if you check the box that says "Remember me" when you login, you will not need to enter the password as often. It's also ok to recycle the old password and pass it for a new one - the system doesn't really know.

Leave a comment:

• enbateau
    replied
    ^^ I had to do a completely new password as well, and still after I login, I have to renew my password every time I post a reply.

The accelerated track is great for motivated students who like to write and/or are on the older end of the age-grade level so they can tackle the demands of an increased pace in third and the more analytical literature from 5M showing up in 4A. It is true that math and spelling stay on grade level, but students finish Latina Christiana, Christian Studies I, English Grammar Recitation I, U.S. States and Capitals, and Greek Myths in one year instead of two. That's a lot of subjects to tackle at a one-year pace, especially if parents are teaching other parent-intensive cores in the home. Spelling, math and Classical Composition: Fable remain on grade level. The science is also different. Mammals is skipped in lieu of Astronomy, so all of the sciences will appear one year earlier. For children whose parents would like them to reach a certain AP science pacing in the upper school, this frees up some room around 8th, but even so, the moderated track can skip a lower science and accomplish the same result. The Famous Men series also appears one year earlier, so parents should consider if their individual students is ready to tackle themes of war, violence, betrayal, moral indiscretion and such at 9. The poetry is a year off as well because of the literature, but I think that is less of a big deal.

Leave a comment:

• KF2000
    replied
    So, it looks like my login was weird after the maintenance, but I was able to get it figured out now and am back in my normal account. That previous message was also from me!

AMDG,
    Sarah

Leave a comment:

• SKF2000
    replied
    They are pretty close because the only main differences between the regular track and the accelerated track occur at third grade. On the regular track, third grade takes the core subjects at half pace; on the accelerated track, it takes those same subjects at full pace, completing them in a year. Whenever a child finishes those core subjects, he or she simply moves on to the next level of everything. So for the regular track, the next level of those subjects does not get reached until fifth grade; but in the accelerated track, the next level is reached in fourth grade. This is why they look so similar. It is all the same material, and the only real difference in how anything is done is at those third/fourth grade levels.

AMDG,
    Sarah

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied
    There will be different grade-specific options for math and spelling, and perhaps other cumulative subjects (composition?). They are not simply the next grade, but are mostly the next grade. HTH!

Leave a comment:

• Are Accelerated Packages just the next grade level?

I am confused about the accelerated packages. For instance is Grade 4 Accelerated just Grade 5? We are doing Grade 5 and it looks the same as the accelerated Grade 4.
Working...
X