Need ecouragement..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need ecouragement..

We have used MP in part or fully for 5 years. I am and more convinced this is it for me, for our homeschool.
    That being said...
    I got diagnosed with MS at the end of January, my husband had to switch jobs, he finished our remodel, listed our house in Alaska, and a month later moved to Alabama.

How does that fit into one sentence??

I'm definetley sticking with MP, but what does that look like?
    I'm needing encouragement/wisdom from those who have made a crazy move or are homeschooling with an autoimmune disease.
    Thank you!
    DD 6th
    DS 4rd
    DS SC2
    DS 3 yr old

First, prayers for you and your family. That's SO much to process at once!

Second, here's what it looks like in our house (seven children, mild special needs, and a chronic illness): https://seekingdelectare.com/homesch...ess-beautiful/

There are also two forum threads that may be helpful. I'll link those in a separate reply, otherwise the forum system will flag me as a spam-bot.
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS18: Graduated and living his dream in the automotive trades
    DS17: MP, MPOA, headed to his favorite liberal arts college this fall
    DS15: MP, MPOA
    DS13: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
    DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
    DD10: SC3
    DD7: MPK

Comment

Here are the forum links:

https://forum.memoriapress.com/forum...-cfs-fibro-etc

https://forum.memoriapress.com/forum...ops-and-starts

Jennifer
      Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS18: Graduated and living his dream in the automotive trades
      DS17: MP, MPOA, headed to his favorite liberal arts college this fall
      DS15: MP, MPOA
      DS13: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
      DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
      DD10: SC3
      DD7: MPK

Comment

Big hugs, mama. That is a lot to process. I know that during our last move, I had no help because my DH was in 16-hr/day training, and I had to handle all of the bank & real estate paperwork, boxing, packing and loading. I hired a mother's helper so that I could do the most pressing work without a toddler asking what everything was or undoing my work. Then, we flew my MIL out to help with childcare while I was unpacking (also alone). It was the best money spent. For me, it was better to get it done in 2 weeks than for it to drag for eternity and feel overwhelmed. It was more exhausting to be the only one who could find anything than to hunker down and get it done. With your health challenges, I would lean heavily upon your neighborhood, church community or hubby's new work associates to see if they'd have some compassion and help this get done for you. Many, many people are chomping at the bit to help their fellow neighbor meet the challenges of life. If they can't unpack, they can take the kids in their backyard for the day. I pray that the Lord would help you solve these issues if they are still a burden.

I love how the scriptures inform us for every possible season of life. There is a season for everything, and teaching your children how to patiently endure through suffering and hardship is a beautiful life lesson.

Ecclesiastes 3:12-14I know that there is nothing better for them (mankind) than to rejoice and to do good in one’s lifetime; moreover, that every man who eats and drinks sees good in all his labor—it is the gift of God. I know that everything God does will remain forever; there is nothing to add to it and there is nothing to take from it, for God has so worked that men should fear Him.

Focus on the basics. Start each day anchored in God's Word, and then prioritize Latin (or reading for the littles), math and a read-aloud. Everything else is gravy. Commit your work to the Lord and to His glory, and He will renew your strength to do as much as you can from the couch or bed before you fatigue. If you have doctors appointments to attend, make use of CDs in the car, audiobooks, flashcards on a ring, quizlet (on a phone or tablet), or memory work such as scriptures and poems from their cores. Our family had a draining season of medical appointments, surgeries, therapies, and such, and we knew exactly what we needed and what we didn't. MPOA or Vita Beata might be a good option for you as the children mature through the grades.
        Mama of 2, teacher of 3
        Summer: First Start French I
        SY 22/23
        6A, teaching TFL & CC Chreia/Maxim in group, and Koine Greek
        MP2 w/ R&S Arithmetic 3

Completed MPK, MP1, MP2, 3A, 4A, 5A
        SC B, SC C, SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

Alaska to Alabama is huge. I know. We moved from Kodiak to Pensacola in 2017. It’s a huge undertaking and a huge mental and emotional shift. And I just got diagnosed with an autoimmune disease (first rheumatologist appointment tomorrow to figure out which one it really is) and so the emotional rollercoaster of that is pretty incredible, too. I hope you feel like you can take a real school break, even for just four weeks, to get your house in order. Once I have the kitchen unpacked and the curtains up, I feel like I can live there for real. Where in AL are you? I’ve got resources for some cool nature centered summer camps near Mobile.

There are quite a few mamas with AI disease on here. Each of us finds our own way, and our own compromises. I will admit that as much as I love a lot about MP, we probably do less of it than anyone else on here, because that is simply what works for my limitations and my husband’s educational desires. But i am still going to Sodalitas this summer!! Maybe now that you are back in the lower 48 you can come this year too.
          Emily…a hunter who prefers coffee to chocolate and dreams of the mountains

Beech Tree Boarding School, 2021-2022
          DD (age 10): MP 5
          DD (age 8): MP 2
          DS (age 5): MP K
          "Maybe stalking the woods is as vital to the human condition as making music or putting words to paper. Maybe hunting has as much of a claim on our civilized selves as anything else.” Steven Rinella

Comment

Heather,
            I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis.
            That. Really. Stinks. (to put it in the most ridiculously understatement-type way that is appropriate for the Forum.)

The job change thing - sure; definitely an adjustment. Moving cross the globe - sure; huge change! Things will get derailed for a while, but as a fellow human being who has moved so many times...you can’t not adjust. It is just “in” us to adjust to our new surroundings. Takes time and patience, but generally speaking, your life does eventually begin to feel normal again.

But the diagnosis part of things...that’s a real game-changer. We always adjusted our school routines to account for moves and babies and whatnot, but it was always with the understanding that once we got “settled,” we would return to our previous level of effort. I would be antsy for a time, but it would not be too bad because I had every reason to believe we would get back “on track.”

Living with chronic illness has not been that way for me. I have two main diseases - Lupus and Ankylosing Spondylitis - that dictate a large amount of my brain space at nearly any given moment of the day. There’s just no getting around that. And there’s just no way to operate as a homeschooler the same way I used to. It’s been hard, and it’s only been recently that I have been trying to make those tough calls about what will remain in our path, and what will not, starting next year. I kept everyone going on autopilot for about two years while I was still handling our youngest child’s infancy and toddlerhood, and getting a handle on what my personal needs are. But now, I have a reasonable enough sense of what is necessary for ME every day that I am finally tackling what to keep as necessary for THEM. I just couldn’t handle making ALL the changes at once.

So, there is my encouragement to you. Start small, and start with YOU. Your health is key to figuring out anything else, and will help dictate what are appropriate goals to set for each day, each week, and each year.

If you ever want to, feel free to PM me. But know that I will be praying for you!
            AMDG,
            Sarah
            2020-2021
            16th Year HSing; 10th Year with MP
            DD, 19, Homeschool grad; college sophomore
            DS, 17
            DD, 15
            DD, 13
            DD, 11
            DD, 9
            DD, 7
            +DS+
            DS, 2

Comment

Thank you SO much for the encouraging words! It means a lot coming from fellow MP moms.

Fireweed Prep when i saw your handle the fist time, I guessed you were in Alaska. I'll miss the endless sun summer nights surrounded by fireweed, even though I'm very allergic.
              Sounds like you moved a couple hundred more miles than my family did. It's a huge change! Though welcome. No. More.Snow.

KF2000 I agree with the inability to just bounce back to my normal self. I still have mopey moments where I have to remind myself that I have it good. The form of MS I have is manageable, not aggressive so far. Thank you for your prayers.

enbateau Thank you for bringing it all back to scripture. I need to rely on that daily!
              jen1134 Thank you for the links. I think I've come across your blog before.

I hope to make it to Sodalitas this year now that i'm back in the lower 48. And ONLY 5 hours away!
              It would be lovely to meet you all.
              DD 6th
              DS 4rd
              DS SC2
              DS 3 yr old

Comment

Working...
              X