X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    enbateau

• enbateau
    replied
    Ah, yes. I see that the student workbook part 2 was from Arithmetic 1. There is very little in that first workbook from Arithmetic 2 that my MPKer can't already do. It has multi-digit addition and subtraction, but none of is with borrowing or regrouping, and all of it stays within the fact families they've learned. I took another look at those practice pages, and you are right that it's pretty much the Blacklines bound with a few.minor differences, such as calling reading problems "story problems" and rearranging some columns and rows of horizontal number sentences. The numbering is a little off, too, so it might further incentivize sticking with what I have. The only difference I saw straight off the bat was Arithmetic 2 Units 1&2 Student Workbook 1 has a completely different first lesson. The facts are varied instead a single boat problem (and it has a few new activities). My only disappointment is that they didn't fix the mixed computation with parentheses. That seemed to annoy the mathy folk, and it would've been a nice way to woo them back. Can anyone speak to the "calendar" concepts taught? I couldn't find that in a preview.

Leave a comment:

• howiecram

• howiecram
    replied
    Originally posted by enbateau View Post
    I'll probably get the Math Challenge for MP1 just for ease's sake. I, too, ordered in Feb, but I knew the changes were coming. I've been doing the at-home version of morning math by reproducing the blackline fact sheets, and it took enough of my time (as well as ink and paper) to make it worth buying the book. I would like to see a revised sample of the First Grade Curriculum Manual to see how radically the addition of the first two books and practice pages from R&S Arithmetic 2 change things. Mile=stone Books has sample pages, and they looked a little different from some of the blacklines I have from having taught R&S Arithmetic 2 in MP2 a few years back. I looked ahead at the Second Grade CM, and it seems to also start with Book 1 again in math, but the sample for that CM may not be up to date.

I think you will be fine teaching it as written (as it worked well for years leading up to this), but you can also update it. BTW, if you sign up for and attend the Sodalitas or Teacher Training, *usually* there is a zoom digital chat room where you can order, preview books with a consultant, and purchase materials. In years past, orders during a conference shipped free. HTH!
    I think it looks like from the website that only the first book from R&S2 is included in 1st grade. The teacher's book has units 1-2, but the second unit will not be used until 2nd grade. I'm guessing that right now, since people have not completed the R&S as scheduled in the revision, that the 1st book is being included in both the 2nd grade and the 1st grade. I'm looking forward to the release of the revised 2nd grade plans that begin with book 2. (I'm noticing my downloads have not been updated yet).

Leave a comment:

• enbateau

• enbateau
    replied
    I'll probably get the Math Challenge for MP1 just for ease's sake. I, too, ordered in Feb, but I knew the changes were coming. I've been doing the at-home version of morning math by reproducing the blackline fact sheets, and it took enough of my time (as well as ink and paper) to make it worth buying the book. I would like to see a revised sample of the First Grade Curriculum Manual to see how radically the addition of the first two books and practice pages from R&S Arithmetic 2 change things. Mile=stone Books has sample pages, and they looked a little different from some of the blacklines I have from having taught R&S Arithmetic 2 in MP2 a few years back. I looked ahead at the Second Grade CM, and it seems to also start with Book 1 again in math, but the sample for that CM may not be up to date.

I think you will be fine teaching it as written (as it worked well for years leading up to this), but you can also update it. BTW, if you sign up for and attend the Sodalitas or Teacher Training, *usually* there is a zoom digital chat room where you can order, preview books with a consultant, and purchase materials. In years past, orders during a conference shipped free. HTH!

Leave a comment:

• howiecram

• howiecram
    replied
    Like Ginger said, your plans will work for the books you have, so I wouldn't worry too much! The supplemental practice pages for R&S 2 are probably in a box from the set you got, rather than workbooks. I will say I like the arrangement of them in the workbooks, but the box you have can be used for your younger child, so financially, the set you have is probably good.

Note - I am on my 3rd and last child going through R&S. I did buy the new R&S 2 set for the younger child. She is a bit of a struggling learner and the place value is presented in a more modern (using pictures of place value blocks, rather than the farm set up in the older version). That alone was worth the purchase for me. However, my other children had no trouble with the "older" book. If you want to switch to the newer version, I would keep the box of supplemental pages, over the 2 workbooks of supplemental pages. The tiny supplemental pack is also part of the box you likely received.

The 100/200 fact forms are something that the school uses everyday in their math class. It's my understanding they do them everyday to start their math class. I know that in 3rd grade, the goal is 5 min for 100 facts, 4 min for 5th and 3 min for 5th. I don't know what the goals are for the 200 facts, that are now being done, or the goals for the K-2, so I'm interested to hear. We will buy these for my youngest.

Leave a comment:

• GingerG
    replied
    Your guide probably accounts for the old format, so I wouldn’t worry about it. R&S is so much drill, so I don’t understand why they added the math challenge. If you really want the new offerings, they can accommodate you if you call them.

Leave a comment:

• MegK1985

• MegK1985
    started a topic New additions to Math for K-2nd

New additions to Math for K-2nd

Hi, I received the spring magalog today and immediately noticed that the math curriculum has been changed, unfortunately after having ordered my 1st and 2nd grade materials a few months ago for the coming fall. Do I need to add the new Memoria Math Challenge books, and request new lesson plans? It also appears there are some additional R&S student practice page workbooks for 2nd grade that I don’t have. I think my R&S edition for 2nd grade is 2nd edition, and I’ve noticed that on the website it now shows 3rd Ed. Also I see that for my rising 1st grader the student book 1 has been dropped, is this no longer needed for review at the beginning of the year? I’m afraid that I’ve messed up ordering ahead with these new changes.
    thanks for any clarification!
    Megan
Working...
X