Audio player recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audio player recommendations?

I'm looking for an old-fashioned mp3/mp4 player that the kids can use for librivox recordings but I'm not finding anything under $99. I don't want anything that has photo storage, radio, video, etc. It needs to be completely independent without having to monitor use, apply filters, etc. Just "select from the recordings Mom uploaded and press play." Does this even exist anymore??
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS18: Graduated and living his dream in the automotive trades
    DS17: MP, MPOA, headed to his favorite liberal arts college this fall
    DS15: MP, MPOA
    DS13: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
    DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
    DD10: SC3
    DD7: MPK

Yes, they still make them. I recently bought a sandisk player for a similar purpose from newegg.com. Search for mp3 player and then look on the left side of the page to tailor your requirements.
    There are also refurbished ipod nanos available on ebay. My husband loves his to listen to books, podcasts, etc, so he downloads mp3 files and is good to go.
    DS16, mix of MP and other resources 2021-2022

"[May] the peace of God, which passes all understanding, ... keep your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Comment

Agreeing with plb. SanDisk is an option available now, jen1134. Here is an example on Amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00VXMY2...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Some have the radio option, but they do have ones that are bare bones in the $30ish range.
      Tentative Plan '22/'23 - 5th Year MP
      Homeschool Dad & Tutorial Magister
      8S, Rising 3nd MP @ HLN & Home
      6D, Rising 1st MP @ HLN & Home
      4S, Rising K MP @ HLN & Home

Comment

I had seen that one but it has the radio option. I’ll dig around more for that specific brand and find the one that doesn’t. Thanks for the lead!
        Jennifer

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
          I had seen that one but it has the radio option. I’ll dig around more for that specific brand and find the one that doesn’t. Thanks for the lead!
          Jenn, would you post the link for me when you find one? That would be really helpful!
          Amanda - Mama to three crazy boys, teacher at St. Dominic Latin (FFL, TFL, 4FL, Traditional Logic 1&2), Memoria College student

2021-2022
          9th grade - a mix of MPOA, Vita Beata, Lukeion, and AOPS
          8th grade - 8M with modifications
          4th grade - 4A

"Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

I feel like pickandgrin has something like this??

Did you check Ebay?
            Plans for 2022-23

Year 12 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 27 - college grad, bakery owner
            DD2 - 16 - 11th grade - HLS Cottage School - online classes, looking at dual credit - equestrian and theatre
            DS3 - 14 -7A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
            DS4 -14 - 7A Cottage School -soccer/tennis -auditory processing disorder
            DD5 - 10- 5A, Cottage School - inattentive ADHD - equestrian and tumbling
            DS6 - 9 - MP 1 - home with momma

Comment

We used to use CD players, but now the girls use a hand me down iPad to play downloaded library audiobooks. The boys still have CD players but since my oldest has discovered the electric guitar now it's either music or silence for reading.
              Festina lentē,
              Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
              DS Hillsdale College freshman
              DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
              DD 8th • HLN & Home
              DS 5th • HLN & Home
              Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
              Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

So it looks like the bare bones Sandisk/Sansa players have been discontinued and I can't find the old models on NewEgg or Amazon anymore. Google says it's possible to disable the radio functionality on Sandisk's Clip Jam model, but my husband's best friend heard what we were looking for and said he has a iPod shuffle we can have. They aren't using it and it was given to them by another friend of ours who wasn't using it either, LOL.

Nerdmom Apparently what we're looking for is called a kosher mp3 player -- ultra-orthodox can't have internet or radio access. There's a brand called Samvix, but I'm not sure of quality and there are hardly any reviews on Amazon. One reviewer said all the instructions are in Hebrew so he couldn't figure out how to use it. The Clip Jam with disabled radio might be the way to go.
                Jennifer

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
                  So it looks like the bare bones Sandisk/Sansa players have been discontinued and I can't find the old models on NewEgg or Amazon anymore. Google says it's possible to disable the radio functionality on Sandisk's Clip Jam model, but my husband's best friend heard what we were looking for and said he has a iPod shuffle we can have. They aren't using it and it was given to them by another friend of ours who wasn't using it either, LOL.

Nerdmom Apparently what we're looking for is called a kosher mp3 player -- ultra-orthodox can't have internet or radio access. There's a brand called Samvix, but I'm not sure of quality and there are hardly any reviews on Amazon. One reviewer said all the instructions are in Hebrew so he couldn't figure out how to use it. The Clip Jam with disabled radio might be the way to go.
                  Good to know! I bought one of my kids a cd player "discman" for Christmas. That has worked well enough, and I have complete control over access (literally whatever discs I provide to him). It's been a wonderful sensory tool for him in his "book nook" we created.

An mp3 style device would be useful, but we've made this work so far. I'd have to be persuaded that something was significantly better...

Thank you for the ideas!

Amanda - Mama to three crazy boys, teacher at St. Dominic Latin (FFL, TFL, 4FL, Traditional Logic 1&2), Memoria College student

2021-2022
                  9th grade - a mix of MPOA, Vita Beata, Lukeion, and AOPS
                  8th grade - 8M with modifications
                  4th grade - 4A

"Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

jen1134. I occasionally see the older "bare bones" SanDisks on EBay and on Facebook marketplace, but getting less often. One thing I am wondering with the newer SanDisks that have Bluetooth functionality, if you only supply your child with cordless Bluetooth headphones, I think the FM functionality may automatically go away. Maybe?

The players used to be designed so the corded headphones actually were used to provide the FM antenna. I would guess this still to be the case unless SanDisk has figured out a workaround. With earlier SanDisks, no corded headphones, no FM radio capabilities. May be worth investigating. I may just need to buy a new one to try.
                    Tentative Plan '22/'23 - 5th Year MP
                    Homeschool Dad & Tutorial Magister
                    8S, Rising 3nd MP @ HLN & Home
                    6D, Rising 1st MP @ HLN & Home
                    4S, Rising K MP @ HLN & Home

Comment

We had one with FM on it for awhile and a voice recorder (it only picked up maybe 2-3 stations). It did last very long. We don't do screens in bedrooms generally, but ended up with an old iPhone 4 that I removed/ locked out everything with internet access. I didn't care about the camera and she used the recording feature and metronome app for music. The first one went through the wash (oops) and when I set up the second one, we gave her Spotify, too. That one died and now she has a CD player in her room, but also just has a cell phone since she's on a college campus regularly, works, and is almost driving. Several of her friends have gone to college and she talks/ texts her older siblings a lot, too. She manages it well, but it stays on the first floor.

Amazon.com: AGPTEK A02S 16GB MP3 Player with FM Radio, Voice Recorder, 70 Hours Playback and Expandable Up to 128GB, Black
                      Bean. Long time MP user. Almost retired homeschool mom and university faculty/ librarian.

I apologize in advance for my typos and grammatical mishaps.

DD (17) Graduated!
                      Mechanical Engineering

"School Administrator" to niece (9): MP 3A

Comment

Working...
                      X