Spelling Remediation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spelling Remediation

This is our first year homeschooling. Overall, I feel like we have adjusted well. The one subject that continues to be a struggle/battle with my 5th grader is spelling. He is a bright, compliant student and a voracious reader, but his spelling is terrible. Spelling Workout has caused intense frustration and sometimes tears. I also don't feel he is making much progress. Other subjects have also been hard work this year, but I can see the fruits of our labors. With spelling... not so much.

I don't think he had much phonics background coming from public school. He also seems to have trouble distinguishing sounds. I think this goes way back and helps explain why he needed speech therapy from ages 2 to 8 and why he had a very difficult time learning to read. He now reads very well for comprehension, but does often mispronounce words when asked to read aloud.

Can anyone suggest what we can do for remediation?

I would cross-post this to the Simply Classical section of the forum. Cheryl and the moms there have lots of experience with this!

My 12yo is an SC student and spelling has been a struggle for him. Traditional Spelling is working very well as long as we continue to review past lessons. My first thought would be to look at the Simply Classical Spelling Books and then Traditional Spelling 1 and 2 (level 3 is coming out later this year). The online samples make it difficult to assess the progression in each level, but maybe tanya or cherylswope have a list of the first/last lessons for each?

Also look at the Phonics A to Z book that MP sells (it's by Scholastic). The activities in that were a great help for my children who struggled with phonemic awareness.

As you look at these, don't worry about grade levels or anything like that. Meet him where he's at and he will go much farther in the long run!
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS17: MP, MPOA, HSC
    DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC
    DS14: MP, MPOA
    DS12: Finishing SC 4 >> Moving on to mix of SC 5/6 & 7/8
    DD10: Finishing 3A >> Moving on to miix of 5M and SC7/8
    DD8: SC3
    DD6: MPK

Comment

There is a phonics book for older students by the same author as Phonics From A to Z, Wiley Blevins. It is called Teaching Phonics and Word Study in the Intermediate Grades. Likely this title will be more applicable for your situation.

Comment

Working...
      X