Sixth Grade Curriculum Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sixth Grade Curriculum Questions

Hi there! I just switched my son to the Level two for special needs and I love it. I am considering switching my other two kids as well to the regular curriculum. My daughter is entering sixth grade in the fall and we currently use Abeka Academy. I am wondering if anyone out there can share their experience with sixth grade? I am curious about the homework portion too.

Thanks!
    Jeannie

Hi! Memoria Press is a classical education, where Abeka is more of a traditional education. It will be hard to compare the two. I recommend you call the MP customer service. It will be difficult to just buy the 6th grade package as some subjects (like Classical Composition, Latin) need to start at level 1. There is also a recommended sequence for Classical and Christian Studies. I don't want to discourage you at all! There are many families that come to MP in the middle school years, it will just take some tweaking of the original core.
    Christine

(2021/2022)
    DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, MPOA Narrative)
    DS2 9/1/11 - MP4
    DD3 2/9/13 -MP2 or SC4? (still debating!)

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

Comment

Hello, Jeannie.

I'm glad SC 2 is working well for you! Abeka is a traditional program, so making the switch to MP won't be too rough. The biggest challenge will be the addition of Latin and classical studies. But we provide lots of help, so no worries there. For Latin, you will need First Form. And for Classical Composition, you will need to start at the Fable or Narrative stage. I would also recommend that you do Geography I rather than Geography II because Geo I teaches the areas of the world your student will be studying in classical/Christian studies. For literature and classical studies, this is the one year where the time periods are aligned, so it is a great year to start! And Christian Studies is the New Testament, so that is a nice beginning too. The only other change I would make is from English Grammar Recitation III back to English Grammar Recitation II. Your student coming from Abeka will have a very good grounding in English grammar, so that is helpful with Latin. For science, we do birds in 6th grade, but if you would rather back down to Insects or Astronomy, that would work too. For science, I would do whichever you are most interested in. But I wouldn't skip Exploring the World of Medicine because everyone loves that book!

The only other suggestion I have is that you have your student read (or do it as a family read-aloud) Famous Men of Rome and D'Aulaires' Greek Myths as preparation for entering the world of classical education. Just a nice enjoyable read through - no study guides or tests.

And as Christine said, feel free to call any time to talk with one of our CSRs. They will be glad to answer any questions we haven't answered here for you.

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by tanya View Post
        Hello, Jeannie.

I'm glad SC 2 is working well for you! Abeka is a traditional program, so making the switch to MP won't be too rough. The biggest challenge will be the addition of Latin and classical studies. But we provide lots of help, so no worries there. For Latin, you will need First Form. And for Classical Composition, you will need to start at the Fable or Narrative stage. I would also recommend that you do Geography I rather than Geography II because Geo I teaches the areas of the world your student will be studying in classical/Christian studies. For literature and classical studies, this is the one year where the time periods are aligned, so it is a great year to start! And Christian Studies is the New Testament, so that is a nice beginning too. The only other change I would make is from English Grammar Recitation III back to English Grammar Recitation II. Your student coming from Abeka will have a very good grounding in English grammar, so that is helpful with Latin. For science, we do birds in 6th grade, but if you would rather back down to Insects or Astronomy, that would work too. For science, I would do whichever you are most interested in. But I wouldn't skip Exploring the World of Medicine because everyone loves that book!

The only other suggestion I have is that you have your student read (or do it as a family read-aloud) Famous Men of Rome and D'Aulaires' Greek Myths as preparation for entering the world of classical education. Just a nice enjoyable read through - no study guides or tests.

And as Christine said, feel free to call any time to talk with one of our CSRs. They will be glad to answer any questions we haven't answered here for you.

Tanya
        .......and your answer was so much better! ?. I replied because I noticed that no one had yet and wanted to bump the thread! *. (I guess that worked!).
        Christine

(2021/2022)
        DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, MPOA Narrative)
        DS2 9/1/11 - MP4
        DD3 2/9/13 -MP2 or SC4? (still debating!)

Previous Years
        DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
        DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
        DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

Comment

Working...
        X