New forthcoming Latin exam from CLT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New forthcoming Latin exam from CLT

This was published on the CLT blog today. I don't have any more information on this than what is in the article. Looking forward to learning more!

Pull quote:
    This past January, CLT gathered leading experts at Hillsdale College to lay out a framework for the new standard in Latin assessment. We are thrilled to announce that a free pilot version of the CLT Latin Exam will be available in the CLT student account late this spring. Stay tuned for further updates!

Link: http://blog.cltexam.com/clt-announce...ng-latin-test/
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
    12th • AP Latin online, DE Calculus & Physics, HLN
    10th • HLN, Latin online, MPOA
    7th • HLN & Home
    4th • HLN & Home
    Me: Third Form Summer Intensive MPOA

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

This is exciting news! It's not clear to me what kind of assessment they have in mind, since they talk about a single exam - we'll see!
    DS (15)
    DD (14)
    DS (7)

Comment

Well, this is certainly interesting!
      Plans for 2021-22

Year 11 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 26 - Small Business owner with 2 locations
      DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy - equestrian
      DS3 - 13 -6A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
      DS4 - 13 - 6A Cottage School -soccer -auditory processing disorder
      DD5 - 9 - 4A, Cottage School -equestrian
      DS6 - 7 - MP 1 - first time at the Cottage School this fall!

Comment

It will be nice to have another option on the table. Interested families can do both!
        Festina lentē,
        Jessica P

7th • HLN & Home
        4th • HLN & Home

Comment

Very interesting! I can assure you we'll investigate this.

- Jon

Comment

With a single assessment, it sounds more like an AP Latin replacement than an NLE type thing. When I contacted Hillsdale Academy a couple of years ago in an attempt to find some school that would allow a homeschool student to sit for the AP Latin exam, the coordinator wasn’t sure they were going to offer the AP Latin exam the next year. It seems Hillsdale College only accepted AP Latin for elective credit, not placement in required major courses so the interest in the test among their students was minimal.
            Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
            15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
            DD College Freshman
            DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
            DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
            DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
              With a single assessment, it sounds more like an AP Latin replacement than an NLE type thing. When I contacted Hillsdale Academy a couple of years ago in an attempt to find some school that would allow a homeschool student to sit for the AP Latin exam, the coordinator wasn’t sure they were going to offer the AP Latin exam the next year. It seems Hillsdale College only accepted AP Latin for elective credit, not placement in required major courses so the interest in the test among their students was minimal.
              I've been reading up on this as HC is a top contender for my oldest. They do award elective credit for an AP Latin 4 or 5, but, as far as I can tell they still require you to test into the language level for placement purposes. (From an administrative standpoint, I can really appreciate this double-hurdle so that their upper level classes are on the same page.) A student can be awarded credit for the language classes beneath the level they test into. It may really be a case by case basis, and it may depend on if you are doing the language as a major or minor, or part of a minor (like Classics). I'll report back in about 1.5 years with the scoop. Ha!

I guess I had thought the CLT Latin Exam would be a competitor to the NLE, and not to the AP Exam. The latter didn't occur to me. If it was a competitor to the AP that would save me the trouble of trying to find somewhere to test, which would be very nice. But then there's the issue of which institutions accept it/adopt it and what they do with results. So, it may affect my younger ones more than my older ones.
              Festina lentē,
              Jessica P

7th • HLN & Home
              4th • HLN & Home

Comment

A gap has opened with the demise of the SAT Subject Test in Latin, so they could be planning a broad-based Latin test similar to that. Or as Dorinda suggested, possibly they plan an alternative to the AP Exam, a higher-level test on very specific content. The announcement speaks of a Latin exam, singular; maybe they will start with one exam, and gradually add other levels, just as they offer the CLT (for 1lth-12th grade), CLT10, and CLT8.

Cheers.
                Bonnie

Comment

It's just that we can't wait for them to tell us and we have fun speculating It's tricky to understand, because by "CLT" sometimes they mean the "company" and sometimes the test in its final version (so not 8 and 10). If by "CLT Latin Exam" they mean CLT in the first sense, they may actually reveal more levels, just like the NLE. They speak of it being available in the "CLT student account(s)" - my kids have one because they took the CLT8 last summer, but again, will they see this Exam available? Time will tell
                  DS (15)
                  DD (14)
                  DS (7)

Comment

Mrs. Bee, you are so right! Haha!
                    Festina lentē,
                    Jessica P

7th • HLN & Home
                    4th • HLN & Home