Placement Help for 3rd Grader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Placement Help for 3rd Grader

I'm transitioning my 2nd grader to Memoria next year. I need help placing him for his language arts. This year we have done:
    Phonics- Explode the Code 4, 5, 6
    Spelling-All About Spelling 2
    Reading-Sonlight grade 2 readers
    Handwriting-Writing Our Catholic Faith grade 2 cursive

Which spelling level should I use for next year? What reading level would he be in MP? Could we move on to NAC2 for handwriting? Should I start any grammar or writing with him?

MP combines Phonics and Spelling. Look at the samples of Traditional Spelling I and II on the website to decide which level is appropriate for your student. Traditional spelling will combine phonics and spelling.

I would recommend similarly for literature. If your child can read Prairie School, Grade 2 would be a good place to start. If that is too difficult, go back and look at Grade 1 Story Time Treasures. Maybe it works best to start at More Story Time Treasures? It really depends on the reading level of your child.

MP is advanced so don’t be afraid to start at grade 1 if that is a better fit.

I am not familiar with your handwriting program so I am not of any help there.

Also, MP customer service is fabulous so don’t hesitate to reach out to them either via email or phone.
    2020-2021
    7th year Homeschooling
    4th year MP
    Home + MPOA
    5th, 2nd, 2nd, K

Comment

You would probably need 2nd grade literature. I would start with the beginning for cursive because their style is probably different.

Comment

Audrey M This is for a rising 3rd grader, correct? MP has a scope and sequence PDF that is really helpful for determining placement. I’ll link that below. Are you looking at the 3rd grade core or individual pieces? Even if it’s the latter, looking at the core’s product page will give you a starting point for pieces (but look at the scope and sequence first!) https://www.memoriapress.com/wp-cont...equence-19.pdf

howiecram They’re releasing Traditional Spelling 3 later this year, but AAS is slow and steady so TS I or 2 may be a better fit. I’ve tagged another MP mom who knows far more about AAS and can help better on that front.

MP teaches grammar through Latin and then connects it to English grammar in about 15 minutes a day with the English Grammar Recitation books. MP3 is the beginning for official grammar so you’ll be fine there. You can start Latin with either Prima or Latina Christiana. They’re both great for this age but Prima would be a gentler start.

Letter formation is the focus in NAC1 and then NAC2 focuses on smaller writing and refining style. NAC uses a simplified cursive font so your student may need some extra formation practice in order to transition.

Let us know if you have more questions from the scope and sequence or anything else!

Jennifer
        Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2021-2022
        DS18: Almost done!
        DS17: MP, MPOA
        DS15: MP, MPOA
        DS12: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
        DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
        DD9: SC3
        DD6: MPK

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I studied the samples of all the books and called the office before I tried the forum. I'll look through the scope and sequence. Based on reading level, it seems he should be placed toward the end of MP 1st grade or SC 3. SC3 does Core Skills Phonics 4, which would be a stretch for him, but the spelling of SC 3 is too easy. If I did MP1, the spelling placement for TS is wonky. He would need the last four lessons of TS 1. So it seems he's not only in between levels, but also at different levels in different subjects. AAS is working, but I need a less teacher intensive program for reading and spelling. I have seven other children to teach and a baby, so time-saving would be a plus.

Comment

Audrey,

If your son only needs the last four lessons of TS1, you would probably be fine just starting him in TS2. All the phonics concepts are retaught every year, so he will get them eventually. And TS2 does start with simpler words for the first few lessons. Another option is to use the table of contents for TS1 as your guide, and pick up the little Classical Phonics book to use from now until you get ready to start your new school year. Use the word lists in Classical Phonics to review the concepts taught in TS1 (and they are clearly marked in the Table of Contents that is a pdf on our website.

Tanya

Comment

Audrey - I tried to send you a PM. I have experience with all the Simply Classical levels through 5/6 and the regular MP cores through grade 5. I think I can help. (I've also used AAS (Simply Classical spelling book 1, and 2 AND TS 1 and TS2). and we have the Sonlight readers for free time reading, so I have an idea of how they compare to MP/SC). I personally think SC4 might be just what you need, but thought we could chat through a few more things. I think the TS1, will work well, actually, knowing that AAS2 is completed. If AAS3 had been completed, then TS2 would be a better fit.
              Last edited by howiecram; 03-02-2021, 08:53 AM.
              Christine

(2021/2022)
              DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, MPOA Narrative)
              DS2 9/1/11 - MP4
              DD3 2/9/13 -MP2 or SC4? (still debating!)

Previous Years
              DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
              DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
              DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

Comment

It would be good to go ahead and begin New American Cursive I now and work through that teaching HOW to form the letters before moving on into NAC 2. For reading, we have lesson plans available for a graduated start to 2nd grade that begins with More Story Time Treasures then moves into 2nd grade literature's Prairie School, Animal Folk Tales, Courage of Sarah Noble and ending the year with Little House in the Big Woods. Students will then be ready for a regular start to 3rd grade. It would be fine to begin with Traditional Spelling II, like Tanya explained, the program covers all the material from level I but the words are a little more challenging. If your student does not have a diagnosed learning challenge, consider TS II as there is less of a gap between the reading level and spelling level. Should you get into the program and decide you really need TS I, we can get that switched for you at no charge. Also consider adding Prima Latina to add the English grammar introduction. The program is easy to teach, we provide all the support you will need to be successful. There are DVD's the student can watch that teach the lesson even!

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle T View Post
                  . For reading, we have lesson plans available for a graduated start to 2nd grade that begins with More Story Time Treasures then moves into 2nd grade literature's Prairie School, Animal Folk Tales, Courage of Sarah Noble and ending the year with Little House in the Big Woods. Students will then be ready for a regular start to 3rd grade. !
                  This is amazing! Where do I find these?
                  Christine

(2021/2022)
                  DD1 8/23/09 - Mix of MP5 and MP6 (SFL, Birds, R&S 6 Math, MPOA Narrative)
                  DS2 9/1/11 - MP4
                  DD3 2/9/13 -MP2 or SC4? (still debating!)

Previous Years
                  DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4, SC 5/6, MP4 + FFL and R&S Math 5, MPOA Fable
                  DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2/AAR/Storytime Treasures), Traditional Spelling 1, SC5/6 Year 1
                  DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK, AAR), MP1

Comment

You would have to call in and request these! We use them mostly for the first year schools adopt the curriculum as a transition year.

Comment

Working...
                    X